Replacing an owner in my redraft/keeper league

General discussion and team advice concerning Redraft & Keeper leagues.
cwill1122
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Replacing an owner in my redraft/keeper league

Postby cwill1122 » Thu May 04, 2017 7:17 am

I run a redraft league where we keep one player. It's a 12 team league and we've been up and running for about 10 years with the original owners. This year one owner is leaving and I'm bringing in a replacement. 2 questions that i need answered:

1) in terms of a keeper, should he be able to keep a player from the roster of the owner he is replacing? I'm thinking no and that he will get his keeper before next year's draft.

2) in terms of draft order for this year's draft, should he be able to draft in the slot where the previous owner would be? Our draft order is decided by the inverse order of the rankings from last season. I feel like he's doing me a favor by filling the vacancy in my league and he's at a bit of a disadvantage not getting a keeper this year. Other owners in my league feel as a new owner he should automatically be a the end of the draft order.

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated!

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Re: Replacing an owner in my redraft/keeper league

Postby moishetreats » Thu May 04, 2017 9:52 am

As I see it, he is taking over the team that left -- that team's roster (and keeper option) and draft slot.

Why punish a new owner by not giving him a keeper?? And giving him the exiting owner's team and draft slot make everything crystal clear now -- and for the future.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

cwill1122
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby cwill1122 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:30 am

So, the other owners in my league argue that he had nothing to do with the team he is "taking over" and why should he get to keep a player from that team. They argue that he needs to draft his own team and then keep a player next year. Mostly they feel like the potential keepers on that team should be available to them before him (new owner). I'm kind of in agreement that he keeps next year, but more just torn on what spot he picks in.

Keep in mind he's not really "taking over" the team at all. He's just taking the slot as a new owner if that makes sense. It's not like a dynasty league where he would literally be taking over an entire team.

WhiskeyRacer
Rookie
Rookie

Postby WhiskeyRacer » Thu May 04, 2017 1:15 pm

cwill1122 wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 7:17 am 1) in terms of a keeper, should he be able to keep a player from the roster of the owner he is replacing? I'm thinking no and that he will get his keeper before next year's draft.

2) Other owners in my league feel as a new owner he should automatically be a the end of the draft order.
Sounds like the other owners want first crack at the assumed keeper they feel needs to be dropped. :boohoo:

When an NFL team gets new ownership, do they have to drop their entire roster and start fresh? No, it wouldn't be fair. The team remains the same with the only difference being management.

Are there stipulations for this keeper, like round player is kept? I'm guessing its OBJ in the 10th round. :lol:
10-team .5PPR SF 4 point passing TD
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 1SFLEX
2nd place 2017, 18, 19, 20... :wall:
Champ 2023 :dance:

QB - Jackson, Herbert
RB - Achane, Chubb, Henry, Mitchell, Hubbard, Chandler, R. Johnson
WR - Waddle, Collins, Reed, Evans, Hyatt
TE - Andrews, Engram, McBride
2024 Picks, 1.08, 2, 3 ,4

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Thu May 04, 2017 2:18 pm

cwill1122 wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 10:30 am So, the other owners in my league argue that he had nothing to do with the team he is "taking over" and why should he get to keep a player from that team. They argue that he needs to draft his own team and then keep a player next year. Mostly they feel like the potential keepers on that team should be available to them before him (new owner). I'm kind of in agreement that he keeps next year, but more just torn on what spot he picks in.

Keep in mind he's not really "taking over" the team at all. He's just taking the slot as a new owner if that makes sense. It's not like a dynasty league where he would literally be taking over an entire team.
Fine. If that's really the case... then have them put their money or draft pick where their mouth is.

I'd do a blind lottery: each team can offer up one draft pick of their choice to take over the vacant team and vacate theirs. The best pick wins the swap.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --