Spouse League

General discussion and team advice concerning Redraft & Keeper leagues.
kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Spouse League

Postby kamihamster » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:12 pm

My wife almost knows nothing about football. How the game is played, the positions, etc... she knows only that the Chargers left SD (we live in SD) and that Philip Rivers is the QB of the Chargers.

At the end of this fantasy season she saw a post from one of her friends that won her work league. This got her thinking that she could possibly win if she learned a little. Not to mention that whenever my friends and I meet football is a common topic and she feels left out because she knows so little. So, she has decided that she wants to play next year. I know it's early, but I was thinking that if you have a spouse like mine, that we could have them in a league together. It's for them to learn the game that we love and to get them possibly hooked.

I just wanted to toss the idea out there and maybe revisit this thread in the late summer to see if we can get one started.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Ryantacular
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Spouse League

Postby Ryantacular » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:27 am

We did a redraft like this last year, a few friends and their gfs, my wife totally ended up not doing it though. But I would suggest redraft to start if you hadn't planned on that already.

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:39 pm

yes. it would most defiantly be a redraft league to start off with. i can totally imagine half the wives just checking out and not even setting their line up and then the husbands taking over. but i just want my wife to give it a try and see what all the fuss is about and why i spend so much time watching football.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

TheDogPound
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby TheDogPound » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:59 pm

Lol,

I have a spouse and a mother who I could see entertaining this. Lol

Keep me updated. My spouse is so girly, I wonder if she'd keep up though

Capitalist Pig
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Capitalist Pig » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:01 pm

I had this idea back in 2002, but there weren't enough spouses interested, let alone enough exposure to the game like there is today. Anyway, my wife, an avid fan (also from SD), wanted to play in my local league made up of all Air Force guys. I was very reluctant to let a 'girl' play, as I figured she would get bored and quit halfway through the season. As fate would have it, we needed a 12th and could find no one, so I asked the guys if they would mind if she played and of course laughter ensued. Well, she joined, went 12-1-1 her first season and won the championship over 11 astounded men. She drafted very well, using a FBG cheatsheet, avoided injuries and made a couple bye week waiver pickups and that was it. Surely a fluke, I thought.
Next year, we moved to a new base and I started a new league. Things just got worse. She proceeded to win back to back championships and also petitioned to join my dynasty/IDP league, in which she was only average, 8-6 being her best record over a 3 yr span. She finally retired from the 'game' to devote more time to our kids. This was great as I was tired of the novelty of being married to the 'champ', all the jokes directed my way about her 'helping' draft my team, etc. Guys you can only imagine. It was a relief for her to retire. Now years later, we still argue about some football stuff and she always points to the trophies (well placed in strategic locations near the TV) as the final reminder.
My point? Be careful about starting any league for your spouse, let alone letting them into a league with you. I would never tell her about a spouse league being formed as it would raise up her competitiveness again and I'd have to listen to the old wive's tales about how she ran roughshod over a bunch of boys back in the day. Sure it might sound fun at first, but in the end you'll want to choke her out. Imagine greatly disliking the guy who won your league, but then having to live with him too. same thing :D
Eat more BACON. You won't be sorry.