How to incite trades league wide

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: How to incite trades league wide

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:42 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote:
clarion contrarion wrote:guys whining for more trades are usually the guys that drafted like garbage or guys that made some bad trades and wrecked their rosters ,
the same guys that lose their mortgage playing poker and then whine that you gotta give me a chance to win the money back .... ah no dumb dumb we were gambling you lost .... please excuse me sir perhaps you would more comfortable at the kiddie table where they play with sweet tarts and tootsie rolls
I don't know if this is more insulting to people who enjoy trading or people who speak the English language. Just an awful post all-around. Next time just type something like [GED_equivalent_education_opinion], at least it'll be shorter.

Some of us draft well AND like to make lots of trades. They're not mutually exclusive ideas. You can only secure one guy per round without trading; why would you limit yourself like that?
have a snicker bar
marsha yer not the same when yer hungry ... wha what you lost all yer sweettarts and tootsie rolls AND YER SNICKER BARS ALSO silly boy here have a bite size snicker bar I had leftover from valentines day . whining whiners whine a lot
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

TheLinnDynasty
Rookie
Rookie

Postby TheLinnDynasty » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:07 am

clarion contrarion wrote:
OhCruelestRanter wrote:
clarion contrarion wrote:guys whining for more trades are usually the guys that drafted like garbage or guys that made some bad trades and wrecked their rosters ,
the same guys that lose their mortgage playing poker and then whine that you gotta give me a chance to win the money back .... ah no dumb dumb we were gambling you lost .... please excuse me sir perhaps you would more comfortable at the kiddie table where they play with sweet tarts and tootsie rolls
I don't know if this is more insulting to people who enjoy trading or people who speak the English language. Just an awful post all-around. Next time just type something like [GED_equivalent_education_opinion], at least it'll be shorter.

Some of us draft well AND like to make lots of trades. They're not mutually exclusive ideas. You can only secure one guy per round without trading; why would you limit yourself like that?
have a snicker bar
marsha yer not the same when yer hungry ... wha what you lost all yer sweettarts and tootsie rolls AND YER SNICKER BARS ALSO silly boy here have a bite size snicker bar I had leftover from valentines day . whining whiners whine a lot

Middle school education aside this is all pretty funny to me. I've noticed that the people most active in trades tend to be the more successful. I'm willing to chalk some of that up to more trade activity correlates to more overall activity and the more active an owner is in general the better they are likely to do (up to a point...skill and luck and all that). All of that said skilled fantasy players are generally skilled in multiple aspects of the game. If you aren't attempting to make the most out of the draft and free agency and trades then I just don't think you are playing the game correctly.
Jock Jams
12 Team Dynasty League .5pt PPR, IDP, Superflex
League Champion: 2013, 2014, 2016
League Runner-up: 2015

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:29 am

lecture away junior
I won 3 of 4 dynasty leagues last season and people's masters degrees or engineer camp tee shirts didn't help them a damned bit.
intellect and education are horses of a different feather , I post in the method I do for the fun of it , cause unlike most experts I do not take myself too seriously so back off jan..... go see if marsha has any of the bite sized snicker bar left
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
TE eifert howard njoku
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:42 am

TheLinnDynasty wrote: Middle school education aside this is all pretty funny to me. I've noticed that the people most active in trades tend to be the more successful. I'm willing to chalk some of that up to more trade activity correlates to more overall activity and the more active an owner is in general the better they are likely to do (up to a point...skill and luck and all that). All of that said skilled fantasy players are generally skilled in multiple aspects of the game. If you aren't attempting to make the most out of the draft and free agency and trades then I just don't think you are playing the game correctly.
I definitely notice an increase in the success of teams who participate in some trading but I've also seen it go to the extreme where people 'just want to trade' and they're ALWAYS making trades. Those teams seem to be just as big if not bigger train wrecks than the guys who don't trade. The guys who don't trade, from my experience, just tend to have longer rebuild cycles.

On the main point of the topic, I consider myself an active owner. I usually have some sort of discussion going with at least one other owner even if it's just kicking the tires or talking general player evaluations but my trade total isn't actually that high. I'm also on our league pages just looking fairly frequently but I will say that if I saw a league with some of these rules around requiring you to send out x number of offers, requiring you to log on to the site every [insert time block here]. I would run away from leagues that have rules like this like the plague for a couple of reasons:

1. Most of these stipulations are either going to be too strict to the point where they'll need exceptions (at which point why have the rule) or too loose so to be meaningless. For instance, say the rule is that you have to log on to the league website once every week...what if I'm going on vacation for longer than a week in the middle of February? I'd like to think no one is going to slap me on the wrist if I'm not logging in to the site. But maybe if you're going on vacation you just tell the commish? So now I have another chore to do when planning to go away? That's ridiculous. You could make it two weeks or a month but then it might as well not even be a rule.
2. I don't want a 'check box' for my league or a chore to send out an offer every week (or month or whatever). Sometimes there are trades I'm looking to make or things I'm looking to do with my team and once I accomplish those I like to think I can lay low as my team develops. I also don't want to be spammed by people who are required to make an offer.

On a side note, what a nightmare/waste of time to police such rules.

To me, trade talk and league activity in general boil down to the two things that have already been mentioned; roster size and owner recruitment. If you want to let anyone who's interested join your league you're going to get owners who think the fantasy season begins at the NFL preseason. If you're going to have a 10 team 20 spot roster league everyone is going to have good starters and prospects and there will be plenty on the waiver wire.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

TheLinnDynasty
Rookie
Rookie

Postby TheLinnDynasty » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:21 am

TommyL31 wrote:I definitely notice an increase in the success of teams who participate in some trading but I've also seen it go to the extreme where people 'just want to trade' and they're ALWAYS making trades. Those teams seem to be just as big if not bigger train wrecks than the guys who don't trade. The guys who don't trade, from my experience, just tend to have longer rebuild cycles.
I will 100% agree that the inverse of my point is correct as well. If you are a bad drafter and a bad free agent scout then dollars to donuts you aren't a great trade negotiator/evaluater. If you're just bad at it then doing nothing is probably in your best interest. Although...if that is the case you're probably better just not playing fantasy at all unless you are actively trying to get better. One way of doing that is to complete trades, but to work hard to develop your skills in the process. There is no real need to make trades just to make trades (unless you are building relationships for future negotiations, etc.)

I also agree with the point that making and enforcing rules is probably a bad way to go and at least more of a headache than it is worth. The likely solution needs to be more of a culture change. Not sure the best way of going about that.
Jock Jams
12 Team Dynasty League .5pt PPR, IDP, Superflex
League Champion: 2013, 2014, 2016
League Runner-up: 2015

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:34 am

TheLinnDynasty wrote: The likely solution needs to be more of a culture change. Not sure the best way of going about that.
Thin the player pool out by adding teams. I'm in one league with 32 teams that can trade openly with 31 other teams. Most trades involve a contender giving picks to a rebuild team for veterans. Veterans can't be found in a rookie draft, so I'm sure Clarion understands the necessity of trading in dynasty.

All of my leagues are 16/32 teams with 22-25 starters. Trading is very fluid in them.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:55 am

Bobby Bruiser wrote:
TheLinnDynasty wrote: The likely solution needs to be more of a culture change. Not sure the best way of going about that.
Thin the player pool out by adding teams. I'm in one league with 32 teams that can trade openly with 31 other teams. Most trades involve a contender giving picks to a rebuild team for veterans. Veterans can't be found in a rookie draft, so I'm sure Clarion understands the necessity of trading in dynasty.

All of my leagues are 16/32 teams with 22-25 starters. Trading is very fluid in them.
Sure BB I trade as often as I deem necessary but just because guys are not trading non stop doesn't make them bad managers or make it a bad league .
The NFL has relatively few trades and seems to be doing OK in spite of having greedy SOB owners and an idiot as its leader. But guys come on here crying about the leagues not being active and not trading enough but most of those people should just take a concerta or join more leagues if they get bored .
That is why I stated and TOMMY 31 added in his sig. line whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades - they have ridiculous or unrealistic expectations of a league or the other managers which leads to goofy rules or oversight that end up being counterproductive .

I run a NCAA bracket in my leagues ,in the past for compensatory picks and now just for some fun off season league activity . I also will run a BOWL game challenge and shoot a weekly or bi weekly newsletter email during the season and a monthly update in the off season just to manufacture activity or interaction for the league. The fact remains this an hobby mostly and people have real lives that will dictate other things taking precedence over sorting through trade offers constantly ; in my estimation that doesn't make them unworthy managers just normal.
QB luck- driskell
TE eifert howard njoku
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:50 pm

Bro, we are in agreement on all of that. I actually added that quote to my signature for a while also because of how true it is. I just wanted to clarify in the post above that you weren't necessarily against trading and probably find good reason to make some trades yourself.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:03 pm

clarion contrarion wrote:I won 3 of 4 dynasty leagues last season
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:46 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Sure BB I trade as often as I deem necessary but just because guys are not trading non stop doesn't make them bad managers or make it a bad league .
I don't think people want non-stop trading, but just a constructive response to a trade I offer would be nice once in a while. I think that's more of what people mean when they say a more "active" trading league, but i could be wrong.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:58 pm

Start offering trades where you lose some value. Always help to not be shooting out lowball offers...give to receive
If people don't accept it might just be they don't want to trade.

If I am happy with my team I don't trade but generally I can always find players I would rather have
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:05 pm

Darkness wrote:
clarion contrarion wrote: Sure BB I trade as often as I deem necessary but just because guys are not trading non stop doesn't make them bad managers or make it a bad league .
I don't think people want non-stop trading, but just a constructive response to a trade I offer would be nice once in a while. I think that's more of what people mean when they say a more "active" trading league, but i could be wrong.
If that is in fact the case then that's not a rules problem, that's an owner problem and should be addressed accordingly. You can't legislate a bad owner into a good one. You just need to be more thorough when recruiting owners.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:37 pm

To genuinely answer the question, you need fewer players available on the waiver wire and more players in your starting lineup.

Many people have mentioned deeper rosters, and that's true. But you need deeper starting lineups as well. If you start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE and 1 Flex, there's not much impetus for somebody with high quality starters to trade, even if their bench is crap. The more starting positions you have, the more the players in the middle and end of your roster matter, meaning you have more reason to improve those positions.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:54 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote:
clarion contrarion wrote:I won 3 of 4 dynasty leagues last season

yeah baby ... preach it

because i'm not wearing hockey pads
QB luck- driskell
TE eifert howard njoku
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

joeymags220
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby joeymags220 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:40 am

Increase the starting line up or the benches. Ten team leagues with "standard" rosters, from redraft, don't work too well. IMO rosters should be at least 24 players, you can slice it up how ever you want. Also, if it's the first year, there could be a lot of guys that are still comfortable with their rosters.

There has been a culture created of "rebuild or contend", when in reality teams should always be building on what they have. This could also be part of the problem. I wish I could tell you how to solve it, but you might just have to wait for someone who thinks they need to rebuild.

Another thing is that sometimes when we trade, we don't look at the other players needs. try to make sure you are giving players that and owner might want. And make trades as even as possible. If there is guy you want and you are comfortable with it, maybe let an owner "win" on a trade. Or at least let them think they are. I'm gonna get creamed for saying that, but I think fantasy should be fun and helping people break the ice will increase that.

Ps. Stop feeding the troll.
@jojolmags on twitter................... jojomagsff.wordpress.com
**Just do what will make you happy, it's Fantasy after all.**