What's Happening in Philly?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Farley
Captain
Captain

What's Happening in Philly?

Postby Farley » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:26 pm

Is it possible Chip's drank too much of his own kool-aid? As soon as he grabs the reigns of personnel decisions the whole offense is gone.

DeSean gone, Maclin gone, McCoy gone, Sanchez resigned but the starting QB is not likely on the roster. You essentially have Matthews, an old gadget in Sproles, Celek, Polk, Ertz (who only plays about half the snaps), and an o-line that disappointed last year. Not really that impressive. And yet fantasy owners will value Eagle players at a premium because they play in that offense.

I thought Chip was going to be a great addition to the NFL and really felt he would transition well despite many naysayers. Now I'm starting to wonder if he hasn't become a little too full of himself. He's not Belichick. He hasn't won anything at this level. Didn't even make the playoffs last year.

I understand that they will make some major improvements. But it's really unusual in the NFL to see this level of turnover.

Is anyone else thinking that the Eagles offense might not be nearly as prolific the season?
Last edited by Farley on Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: What's Happening in Philly?

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:32 pm

Either:

1: Every NFL Coach, Player, Owner and GM are just pawns in Chip Kelly's brilliant scheme

or

2: This will flop and effectively end Chip's NFL career.

--

This is like watching a bored FF owner who wants a challenge so he aggressively trades all his pieces for lottery tickets. I know that's not *actually* what's happening... But this is weird.

flexcapacitor
Captain
Captain

Postby flexcapacitor » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:35 pm

I think they will be just as prolific as they have in the past as long as he has a QB that runs the system he wants. I think there are plenty of RB's and WR's in the draft or free agency that would work well in his system.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:55 pm

The Eagles were 5th in total offense this past season with Mark Sanchez as their QB for a significant part of the year. What Kelly has been able to accomplish thus far without a QB to fit his system has been impressive. Kelly has a vision of what he wants and is in the process of making that happen. No one on these forums knows what further moves he is going to make and I think it is far too early to panic or rejoice.
Last edited by dm1129 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:01 pm

I think he's rid himself of all the cap so he can go get Mariotta at the cost of this years draft and use the cap room to supplement the loss of draft picks. I think he knows exactly what he's doing and I hate it as Giants fan.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:08 pm

thebeast wrote:I think he's rid himself of all the cap so he can go get Mariotta at the cost of this years draft and use the cap room to supplement the loss of draft picks. I think he knows exactly what he's doing and I hate it as Giants fan.

Absolutely. Since the day his powers increased in the Eagles' organization, I have been saying it is essentially a forgone conclusion that he is going after Mariota. So far, his moves do seem to fit that idea.

DLFiend
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DLFiend » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:26 pm

Yep. He's filling all his team needs via FA and trades b/c he won't have any draft picks. He's going to trade Foles, his 2015 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a 2016 1st for to Tennessee (who needs the picks) for Mariota.

It may work. It may not. But you have to respect the man for winning 10 games in his 1st 2 seasons and aggressively going after what he believes in.

Matticus
Captain
Captain

Postby Matticus » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:42 pm

DLFiend wrote:Yep. He's filling all his team needs via FA and trades b/c he won't have any draft picks. He's going to trade Foles, his 2015 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a 2016 1st for to Tennessee (who needs the picks) for Mariota.

It may work. It may not. But you have to respect the man for winning 10 games in his 1st 2 seasons and aggressively going after what he believes in.
I hope this starts a trend in the NFL. I don't agree with every single move he has made, but at least he's exciting in the offseason. I hate baseball and basketball, but I love all the deals that get done. Wish the NFL could accomplish this, then it would be even further ahead of those sports...

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:52 am

Well; his offense is not going to be as good.

His defense is substantially improved though.

mzkp54
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby mzkp54 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:29 am

PhadedCN wrote:Well; his offense is not going to be as good.

His defense is substantially improved though.
Maybe. It didn't work for the Eagles a few years ago when they tried to fix their defense through FA.
12 tm/PPR/SF/TE+/Full IDP (start 11/11)/Contracts
QB- Kyler, TLaw Stafford
RB-
WR- JJ, Lamb, ARSB, DJM, Kirk QJ
TE- Engram, Schultz
PK/CB-
DT- Wilkins, Vea
DE- Bosa, Young, Landry Ebukam
LB- Campbell,Speed, Mcfadden, Dodson
S-
1.02, 1.11
3 '25 1sts, 4 '26 1sts

Farley
Captain
Captain

Postby Farley » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:51 am

dm1129 wrote:The Eagles were 5th in total offense this past season with Mark Sanchez as their QB for a significant part of the year. What Kelly has been able to accomplish thus far without a QB to fit his system has been impressive. Kelly has a vision of what he wants and is in the process of making that happen. No one on these forums knows what further moves he is going to make and I think it is far too early to panic or rejoice.
Let's keep in mind that the 6th in total offense is partially a result of running so many plays. Additionally, they had Sanchez at QB because Chip brought him in and liked him enough to resign him. And I'm pretty sure that Chip has higher aspirations than just finishing slightly outside the top 5 in offense.

It's definitely fun and exciting to follow, though. I don't mind it at all, from that perspective. I'm just wondering how effective it will be.

When you look at the successful teams over the past decade plus, you see nothing but consistency. Green Bay, New England, San Fran, the Ravens, Seattle all held onto their key guys for long periods of time while jettisoning players once they had little left in the tank. Chip seems to be doing the opposite. He's picking up other team's old cast-offs and plugging them into his system. Seems like it might backfire. Guessing they have a hard time hitting 10-6 this year.

Telperion
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Telperion » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:09 am

I hear Joey Harrington is available.
- Don't waste your time on late round NFL draft picks: Success rates by NFL draft round and speed.
- Team(s): Team 1

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:39 am

Chip sure is putting his scheme over talent theory to the test this year.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

ccj
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ccj » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:28 am

I'm not an Eagles or Chip Kelly fan, but I like facts.

Eagles 2012, 280 points
Eagles 2013, 442 points (4th in the NFL)
Leading receiver departs via free agency, leading QB misses half the season, more than half the offensive line misses time due to injury
Eagles 2014, 474 points (3rd in the NFL)

There's nothing there that say his system and philosophy is not working.

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:35 am

ccj wrote:I'm not an Eagles or Chip Kelly fan, but I like facts.

Eagles 2012, 280 points
Eagles 2013, 442 points (4th in the NFL)
Leading receiver departs via free agency, leading QB misses half the season, more than half the offensive line misses time due to injury
Eagles 2014, 474 points (3rd in the NFL)
<<<different starting QB misses half the season>>>

There's nothing there that say his system and philosophy is not working.
totally true.