Value of Randall Cobb

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Randall Cobb

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:21 am

My stance all along was that I was hopeful but very nervous about Cobb's status. I felt it was best for him and the Packers as a team, but money talks. This provides cohesion for the offense, Cobb stays with a top-tier franchise, and Rodgers wanted him around so this keeps him happy. That always meant something to me when evaluating the situation.

But the economic realities of the NFL had me really questioning whether he'd stay or not. Every year there are at least a couple free agents that get overpaid due to scarcity/lack of quality at the position they play coupled with "team need" and someone with a pile of money under the cap.

By Thursday I was a little down, and had resigned myself to the fact that Cobb would be playing elsewhere and I'd be holding a now declining asset. Sunday morning came... Now I'm doing a happy dance! Fantastic news and I feel like I've dodged two bullets so far this offseason 1. Dez video fiasco seems to have faded away. 2. Cobb is NOT leaving Green Bay.

:dance: :dance: :dance:
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Cobb stays in Green Bay per Adam Shefter

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:43 am

PhadedCN wrote:
joshb wrote:
PhadedCN wrote:I guarantee you they don't win a Super Bowl over the next four years, they still need massive defensive and offensive line help.

That's why it is horrible. Having that much percentage of your money tied up in two WRs is an awful mistake and they are gonna realize that over the next few years.
Except that when they re-sign Bulaga, they'll have one of the best offensive lines in the game. Linsley came in as a rookie and became one of the top centers in the league. Sitton and Lang is one of the top guard duos in the league, if not the best. Bahktiari continued to improve from his rookie year. Bulaga had the best year of his career. The combined hit of both Cobb and Nelson is less than the cap hit of Calvin Johnson.
...and how successful is Detroit?

Pretty poor example. Sure, Calvin is paid that much but if you notice - most (if not all) of the teams in recent history that won the Super Bowl don't have that large a percentage invested in wide receivers. It's just not the position you invest in to win it.

Like I said; great for fantasy owners - it'll be bad for real life Packer fans if they're hoping for a Super Bowl.

I think the point of the Calvin Johnson cap hit is to illustrate that Detroit is paying one top-tier WR an outrageous sum. Green Bay is paying two top-tier WR's more reasonably, and with better contract structure. You're right, Detroit is a poorly run team, and Green Bay is a well run team. You may feel the Packers are overpaying at WR but we'll see what the results are.

The Seahawks are overpaying Marshawn Lynch as well if measured against what other RB's are getting. But they feel he's a central part of their offense and want him around at least one more year. There's something to be said about continuity if you can afford it.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Poindexter
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Poindexter » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:53 pm

FiremanEd wrote:I don't agree with lots of what you said, but that's fine. For my money, there was not more evidence to him re-signing than leaving as we got later in the game. In fact, it looked more and more like the opposite, as they hadn't made a deal yet and other teams were clearly going to offer him more, with the only unknown being how much. The fact they had inexperience behind him isn't something that has been too much an issue with their transition before. They have done a good job getting guys and having them develop to take increased roles. Adams fit that bill, even if not the slot guy, would make a solid additional replacement pass catcher. Cheaper options on the market could also be had.

Ego was another thing, and I can only assume you are pulling from thin air that he's a 'smart kid', but regardless, sometimes it isn't ego but rather the all mighty dollar that can sway people. Make money while you can make money is not an incorrect approach, regardless if there is belief more will be there later. You couldn't fault him for taking the highest bidder.

James Jones was never the type of player Cobb is, and anyone could have seen he is what he is. Leaving GB had minimal impact for an average WR. Jennings was also later in the game than Cobb. A decline was inevitable. His last contract, he might as well chase the money (he had a chip already).

Cap room and need wouldn't necessarily have made Cobb a stupid decision for Oakland. They have bucks to spend, a QB they want to invest in, and a WR who could help their team. They offered more, but Cobb chose to stay. I don't think either side was wrong in their approach. Ultimately GB gave more than they originally indicated they would ($8-9M went to $10) to pair with opportunity and comfort against the financial delta. Them moving up was an unknown.

In short, I think it was logical to think he was moving on as we got later in the game, but kudos to those who ignored any of the signs or increased probability that he would be moving on. You won I guess...
I thought the biggest flaw in the "he's leaving" crowd was that Adams made him replaceable. Rodgers is a perfectionist. He's going to throw to the spot, unusually with pinpoint accuracy, and expect his WRs to be there. Often last year he and Adams weren't on the same page. Janis barely played a down and Abbrederis tore his ACL before the 1st preseason game. A championship caliber team like the Packers can't go into the season with just 1 WR that the QB trusts. Now isn't the time to take a step back.

As for the cheaper options in free agency...maybe, but who knows the Packers offense and has a better relationship with Rodgers than Cobb? It's worth a little more to get the guy the QB wants and trusts.

I think them increasing their offer in the 11th hour was fairly predictable as well. They have a long track record of keeping their core players and this isn't the first time it's gone down to the wire, most recently last year with Sam Shields.

My biggest regret was that I made my move for Cobb too early. I traded the 1.02 for Cobb several weeks ago, when I might have gotten him even cheaper had I made offers this week when everyone was panicking. :doh:

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:46 am

As a Cobb owner, I'm obviously happy he stayed. I thought he was gone, and I think he made a dumb move by staying. $2M is a lot of money to leave on the table. Everyone keeps saying he'll just cash in on the next deal, what if there is no next deal? He could get be injured at any moment, and we know the NFL has no issues cutting players at any moment, and he's just left $2M on the table. I understand that playing-wise, GB is the ultimate situation, I just hope it works out for him.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:19 pm

italian_stallion21 wrote:As a Cobb owner, I'm obviously happy he stayed. I thought he was gone, and I think he made a dumb move by staying. $2M is a lot of money to leave on the table. Everyone keeps saying he'll just cash in on the next deal, what if there is no next deal? He could get be injured at any moment, and we know the NFL has no issues cutting players at any moment, and he's just left $2M on the table. I understand that playing-wise, GB is the ultimate situation, I just hope it works out for him.
Not a Cobb owner but this was my rationale all along for why he would leave. I don't agree with the assessment that he can cash in again on his next contract though precisely for the injury reason - and you can't predict that.

DYNOmite
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DYNOmite » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:21 am

Csl312 wrote:
italian_stallion21 wrote:As a Cobb owner, I'm obviously happy he stayed. I thought he was gone, and I think he made a dumb move by staying. $2M is a lot of money to leave on the table. Everyone keeps saying he'll just cash in on the next deal, what if there is no next deal? He could get be injured at any moment, and we know the NFL has no issues cutting players at any moment, and he's just left $2M on the table. I understand that playing-wise, GB is the ultimate situation, I just hope it works out for him.
Not a Cobb owner but this was my rationale all along for why he would leave. I don't agree with the assessment that he can cash in again on his next contract though precisely for the injury reason - and you can't predict that.
What's a couple million when you're 24, already worth $20 million, and playing with the best QB in the NFL?

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:26 am

DYNOmite wrote: What's a couple million when you're 24, already worth $20 million, and playing with the best QB in the NFL?
Still 2 million. Think about it, at 24 his career is probably about 40 percent over. Two million is 10percent of that 20 million he is worth. There are not many nfl players who come in independently wealthy and this is a chance for these guys to set up their family for generations (if they are smart but let's make that assumption). A coworker told me that the tax difference between California and Wisconsin actually ended up making the Oakland and Green Bay final offers close than they appear. Not sure how accurate that is.

Either way I'll admit I was wrong but I still don't think it says absolutely a done deal from the start that he stayed. There was always a possibility both ways.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:37 am

Has anybody seen details of the offers he turned down? How many years? How much was guaranteed?

NanceUSMC
Role Player
Role Player

Cobb price check

Postby NanceUSMC » Wed May 06, 2015 11:34 am

I'm in discussions currently for the 1.01... he's interested in Cobb... I have the WR depth to sustain it, and currently own the 1.04...

Is Cobb worth more than the 1.01?

how much more/less?
10 team Non-PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR/TE, 1K, 1Def), full keeper, 23 man roster, established 2013

QB: Tannehill, Tua
RB: CEH, Swift, Sanders, Bell, Fournette, Etienne
WR: Jones, Hopkins, Chase, D Smith, Bateman, Parker, Fuller, Harry, D Johnson, D Samuel, P Williams, Higgins, Chark
K: Butker
Def: Baltimore, Carolina

Championships: 2015, 2017

2014: 1.01 (Became Watkins)
2015: 1.03, 1.04, 3.04 (Became Gurley, Yeldon, CAP, Robinson UDFA)
2016: 1.10 (Became Fuller)
2017: 1.01, 3.07 (Became Fournette, Henderson)
2018: 2.10 (Became Chark)
2019: 1.04 (Became Harry, Samuel, Williams, Isabella, Johnson)
2020: 1.01, 1.05, 2.01, 3.01 (Became CEH, Swift, Tua, Higgins)
2021: 1.03, 1.08, 2.03, 3.03 (Became Chase, D Smith, Etienne, Bateman)

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Cobb price check

Postby HawkeyeState » Wed May 06, 2015 11:55 am

I think if you look at ADP Cobb and 1.01 are spot on same value. Although in a trade setting I could see the Cobb owner wanting 1.01+ a little something because Cobb is a known asset in a Aaron Rodgers offense
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Wed May 06, 2015 11:59 am

I would trade my 1.03 for Cobb pretty easy and in my mind 1.03 is almost interchangeable with 1.01 unless you are all set on Gurley being the pick.
Last edited by mullmania on Wed May 06, 2015 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klazk
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby klazk » Wed May 06, 2015 12:00 pm

Cobb > 1.01

Even in ADP, Cobb is sneaking into the first round in about half the mocks and is almost always gone by 2.02 or 2.03.

The first rookie is usually going in the back half of the second.

I think most Cobb owners will want 1.01 + something more than a throw-in to move him.

Hjorimir
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Hjorimir » Wed May 06, 2015 12:02 pm

I'd trade 1.01 for Cobb in a heartbeat.
The Great Old Ones
10-team PPR (1-QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, 1-TE, 1-D/ST, 1-K)
QB: Dak, Tua, Mac, Mills (bleh)
RB: Gordon, Drake, Perine, RoJo II, Dillon, Coleman, Sermon, Ingram, Mitchell, Barber, JJ, Bolden
WR: Kupp, DJM, Chase, Jeudy, AJG, OBJ, Shepard, Mecole, Parris, Osborn
TE: Knox, Engram,
D/ST: NE
K: Zuerlein

The Blues Brothers
10-team PPR (1-QB, 1-RB, 2-WR, 1-TE, 2-RB/WR/TE, 3-IDP, 1-K)
QB: Dak, Herbert, Hurts, Bridgewater, Winston, Wentz, Heinicke
RB: Zeke, Cook, Mixon, Moss/Singletary, McKinnon, Gio, Rhamondre, Evans, Roundtree
WR: Kupp, Adams, Nuk, Evans, Ruggs III, Sammy, Guyton, Palmer
TE: Logan, Henry, Engram, Cook, Tremble
IDP: Demario, Bush, Mosley, Jewell, Poyer, Derwin, Vander Esch

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed May 06, 2015 12:17 pm

Hjorimir wrote:I'd trade 1.01 for Cobb in a heartbeat.
Yeah... this.

NanceUSMC
Role Player
Role Player

Postby NanceUSMC » Wed May 06, 2015 12:23 pm

My apologies... I wasn't clear... Cobb is currently mine, and I'm wanting to acquire the 1.01 for the team in my sig... I'm 6-7 deep at WR, and could absorb the loss pretty effectively... But, i want to make sure I get good value for Cobb...

The deal we are discussing right now (it is NOT on the table, just being discussed)... His 1.01 plus 2016 1st plus Seattle, for my Cobb...
10 team Non-PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR/TE, 1K, 1Def), full keeper, 23 man roster, established 2013

QB: Tannehill, Tua
RB: CEH, Swift, Sanders, Bell, Fournette, Etienne
WR: Jones, Hopkins, Chase, D Smith, Bateman, Parker, Fuller, Harry, D Johnson, D Samuel, P Williams, Higgins, Chark
K: Butker
Def: Baltimore, Carolina

Championships: 2015, 2017

2014: 1.01 (Became Watkins)
2015: 1.03, 1.04, 3.04 (Became Gurley, Yeldon, CAP, Robinson UDFA)
2016: 1.10 (Became Fuller)
2017: 1.01, 3.07 (Became Fournette, Henderson)
2018: 2.10 (Became Chark)
2019: 1.04 (Became Harry, Samuel, Williams, Isabella, Johnson)
2020: 1.01, 1.05, 2.01, 3.01 (Became CEH, Swift, Tua, Higgins)
2021: 1.03, 1.08, 2.03, 3.03 (Became Chase, D Smith, Etienne, Bateman)