Best Dynasty Podcasts?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
gkritikos
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Podcasts other than DLF, UTH & nerds?

Postby gkritikos » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:41 pm

Hey guys,

I need to get on the forums more but I saw this thread and wanted to contribute. First off, thanks guys for bringing up and listening to the FilMetrx Pod. Nick and I have been enjoying it so far and you guys can always reach out for player suggestions (there is a long list, which is awesome).

Some podcasts I enjoy: Dynasty Blueprint, Bull Rush, The 2QB Experience (new from Sal Stefanile), Saturday 2 Sunday, Faked Goods (in-season only I believe), Rotounderworld/Diehards Podcast (both by Matt Kelley), and Rotoviz Radio (NFL and Numbers Game).

Just realized I listen to a lot of podcasts considering that's not even half my current list.

Thanks,
George
Find me on Twitter @Rotohack

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:26 pm

How did I never see this thread before? I commute almost 2 hrs a day so have plowed through my fair share of content, although much of it is mainly redraft/football in general-related save for the DLF podcast (which I think is better during the offseason than during the season). What drives me crazy is how the Matthew Berry podcast keeps winning awards - it's garbage.

In terms of sheer entertainment, I find Living the Stream to be on the money, and although geared toward a different audience, the content is pretty solid and the hosts have a great rapport. The Simmons podcasts with Cousin Sal are more geared to gambling on games but they have me cracking up most episodes. In any event, will check out some of those mentioned here.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:41 pm

dlf_georgek wrote:Hey guys,

I need to get on the forums more but I saw this thread and wanted to contribute. First off, thanks guys for bringing up and listening to the FilMetrx Pod. Nick and I have been enjoying it so far and you guys can always reach out for player suggestions (there is a long list, which is awesome).

Some podcasts I enjoy: Dynasty Blueprint, Bull Rush, The 2QB Experience (new from Sal Stefanile), Saturday 2 Sunday, Faked Goods (in-season only I believe), Rotounderworld/Diehards Podcast (both by Matt Kelley), and Rotoviz Radio (NFL and Numbers Game).

Just realized I listen to a lot of podcasts considering that's not even half my current list.

Thanks,
George
Great job on the pod George. I enjoy listening every week.

A guy I would be interested in hearing you talk about is Tyler Lockett. Was a huge fan of his coming out, though I didn't necessarily think he'd have the level of impact he did in his rookie season. Be interested what your guys take is on him looking forward.

Another would be Blake Bortles. High draft pick, productive statistical season, but abused by efficiency metrics. I'm guessing I know where he will fall for you guys, but interested to hear if there is a different opinion on the horizon.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

basilthesnake
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby basilthesnake » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:50 pm

Just found the "Dynasty Dude". 20 minute pod but a decent listen.

gkritikos
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gkritikos » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:22 am

FiremanEd wrote: Great job on the pod George. I enjoy listening every week.

A guy I would be interested in hearing you talk about is Tyler Lockett. Was a huge fan of his coming out, though I didn't necessarily think he'd have the level of impact he did in his rookie season. Be interested what your guys take is on him looking forward.

Another would be Blake Bortles. High draft pick, productive statistical season, but abused by efficiency metrics. I'm guessing I know where he will fall for you guys, but interested to hear if there is a different opinion on the horizon.

Anyway, keep up the good work.
Thanks Ed. Nearly did Lockett on episode 8 but we decided since we did Baldwin and Wilson the previous episode that we should space out our Seahawks. I'm sure he will be up soon enough. Bortles is also on our list and suspect we will get to him in one of the next episodes.
Find me on Twitter @Rotohack

AlbertaPrime
Role Player
Role Player

Postby AlbertaPrime » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:56 am

For me it's UTH, DLF and then the Nerds.

I just find the chemistry between Doug and Chad, over at UTH, to be great, and I play my team similar to their style. They also crack me up, Doug goes on these rants and you can tell Chad is just losing it in the background. Also, "Man-Boner", need i say more?

DLF is great too. I really find Karl enjoyable to listen to. I feel like I could just crack beers with him, and just talk dynasty rankings all day. The other guys (Jarret and Eric, I think?) are fine too, but they kind of come off as dicks sometimes.

Dynast Nerds is one I just got into, and so far I like it. Their rookie/off-season knowledge is top natch.

Other than that, I'll listen to the CBS one (FF Today), which isn't Dynasty, but entertaining non the less. They seem to gang up on Adam Aizer a lot, and he takes it in stride. They can all come off a little snooty sometimes, but hey, I'm not complaining.
14 Team/Dynasty League (Old School Standard Scoring) - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1D, 1K
Core Roster Pieces
QB: Dak Prescott, Geno Smith
RB: Josh Jacobs, Alex Mattison, Gus Edwards, Tyler Allgeier, Jaylen Warren, Ken Gainwell
WR: Justin Jefferson, Keenan Allen, Christian Kirk, Puka Nacua, Jayden Reed, Josh Downs, Rashid Shaheed, Pops Douglas, Trey Palmer
TE: Trey McBride, Tyler Kraft

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:06 am

The things you're saying as positives for UTH are the exact things I dislike about the show. I find them to be pretty annoying pretty frequently.

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:19 pm

dynastyninja wrote:The things you're saying as positives for UTH are the exact things I dislike about the show. I find them to be pretty annoying pretty frequently.
Yeah, I do too. I rarely finish an episode nowadays.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:35 pm

dlf_jules wrote:For football talk, Advanced Football Analytics and Three Cone Drill.

The guy who does Rotounderworld is smart and mildly obnoxious on Twitter. I've listened to only one episode, but he seems smart and *very* obnoxious on the podcast.
He is. I didn't like it at first, until I realized it is a character. If you guys listened to Matt's guest appearance on the DLF podcast, not too long ago, you'll realize that. He is essentially an actor doing a podcast. It's a character, you either like it or you don't, but the character is purposely obnoxious. He knows it, it's his "schtick", so to speak. You definitely have to be in the right mood for a listen.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:06 pm

Going to miss Matt the Oracle on RotoViz...
@PlankMelody

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:18 pm

It's too bad that the UTH guys act like used car salesmen because like it or not they have the best player evaluations imo. I feel like they've been toning down on the arrogance and sell sell sell mentality a little bit since i started listening about a year ago, or maybe I've just gotten used to it :lol: . It's no more annoying for me to listen to them than to listen to the other podcasts who give horrible advice sometimes. I like Dynasty Nerds because they preach getting your draft picks right the first time and ideally keeping that player for a long time, and they also provide useful scouting on some college players they are very familiar with (Winston, Walford, Hurns for example). They are sort of the middle ground between UTH and DLF. And DLF is a good reminder to preach caution on the hyped up players, although in general they seem kind of all over the place and they were literally laughing at my bff David Johnson before the season started because they thought he sucked. Nobody puts DJ in a corner. NOBODY!

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:41 pm

Darkness wrote:It's too bad that the UTH guys act like used car salesmen because like it or not they have the best player evaluations imo. I feel like they've been toning down on the arrogance and sell sell sell mentality a little bit since i started listening about a year ago, or maybe I've just gotten used to it :lol: . It's no more annoying for me to listen to them than to listen to the other podcasts who give horrible advice sometimes. I like Dynasty Nerds because they preach getting your draft picks right the first time and ideally keeping that player for a long time, and they also provide useful scouting on some college players they are very familiar with (Winston, Walford, Hurns for example). They are sort of the middle ground between UTH and DLF. And DLF is a good reminder to preach caution on the hyped up players, although in general they seem kind of all over the place and they were literally laughing at my bff David Johnson before the season started because they thought he sucked. Nobody puts DJ in a corner. NOBODY!
The UTH guys have a great rapport. They are fun to listen to. I was killing myself laughing for the couple of episodes where they were talking about Eddie Lacy's underwear sweat. (It will make sense if you listen to it, trust me, it's hilarious) I think their thing is that you cash out before a guy hits the decline. You sell a year early rather than a year, late. I don't see a problem with that. I don't have rules about age, more guidelines, but they are right in about cashing out before the decline hits IMO. However, I prefer to ride a guys production longer than they do in some cases. I sold Brandon Marshall for a first rounder plus this off-season. I would rather have 4 years of Marshall's production between 27-31 (or someone like Julio) and then get a first plus for him, as opposed to selling at 27 and getting the equivalent of 3 firsts, or whatever. Some players, I would sell at 27, if I believe the decline is coming sooner. I tend to look at that idea on a player by player basis, but understand the statistical probabilities.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:47 pm

FantasyFreak wrote:I think their thing is that you cash out before a guy hits the decline. You sell a year early rather than a year, late. I don't see a problem with that.
I don't have a problem with it either but some of the trades they were advocating for were really risky in my opinion. They bring up the success stories all the time but missing on those trades can set you back years. I don't even want to go back and look up all the trades for Devante Adams they were recommending.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:58 pm

I'll say this about any pod you listen to, and its something Sigmund Bloom often says about "Blindspots." Everyone has them, every pod is going to have them, and I usually find inspiration from all the pods that I listen to. I try to avoid the pitfalls by knowing the personalities that are putting themselves out there .. whether its Sigmund's over exuberance and excitement (Matt often has to give him a "wet blanket" treatment) ..

Whether its that Chad who has created a very interesting projection model, but he doesn't seem to love watching football ...

Matt Waldman who loves watching football, but loves to find these guys that won't help your fantasy team in the least, but he falls in love with how they play.. (which I like, but sometimes its hard to say, ok, this guy is 5'7" and probably won't ever see the field, but man he can juke.. ..heh.

Jon Moore, who also does "youth" work, mostly in market share at a young age... but falls in love with small school prospects that don't make the teams ..

Matt Harmon who is watching every route a WR runs and charting, but hasn't done it long enough to be able to compare anyone...

I guess my point is that I personally appreciate everyone in this community and hopefully I can continue to be respectful of their time and efforts.
@PlankMelody

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:22 pm

I agree they all have their pros and cons. I probably enjoy UTH the most, though i don't necessarily agree with their approach in all instances. I think they've hit on some guys they've pumped up, like David Johnson and Cooks, but they've pumped up guys blindly and missed, like Adams and CMike. I do feel they lucked into the 2014 draft to support their approach, given that even they say 'if you avoided Marquise Lee you won!'. Anyone could have come out good that draft. I only had 3 2nd round picks that draft and came away with Bortles, Freeman, and ARob. I got Nuk the year before, and David Johnson/KWhite this past year. I didn't need to sell the farm to build 'the UTH way', i just needed to hit on my picks. I agree with their 'sell high', but a lot of what they are saying isn't rocket science. I try to sell a year too soon than a year too late, but you can get burned. Must add that I also find myself disinterested more recently as they discuss non-football stuff like 'who's your favorite child' stuff...come on.

DLF is probably my #2. I don't know how much insights Jarett actually provides. Eric isn't really my style too much, but I can appreciate Karl's take. I don't as strong an opinion about the podcast now that i think about it, but I do prefer the approach they take more than a few others.

Dynasty Nerds is a tough one for me. I like the supporting cast, but I find Rich to be a self promoting doofus. He is always saying he told you to do stuff, but I don't even think he's that knowledgeable. He seems to just pump his chest and talk a lot. The other guys are the ones i want to hear from and get their opinion. I did enjoy the pre-draft stuff.

FakePigskin was one I really enjoyed, but it isn't all year it doesn't seem. There 2 episode draft discussion last year is one of my favorites of all time actually. I don't like their in-season stuff though as it is very DFS focused.

Saturday2Sunday is good for reviewing the actual players. I trust their opinion and find it a fun listen.

Filmetrx is one i'm enjoying, but is a very different approach than the others. I do really like hearing the in-depth about specific players though. This has joined my weekly listen list.

Dynasty BluePrint i'm just about to jump into. No opinion yet.