No Respect - Wide Receivers

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Which stud dynasty WR deserves more respect than he is getting going into the 2009 season?

Braylon Edwards, CLE
29%
Lee Evans, BUF
9%
Chad Ochocinco, CIN
50%
Roy Williams, DAL
12%

Total votes: 34

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

No Respect - Wide Receivers

Postby stevea » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:08 am

Which "stud" dynasty wide receiver is most undervalued going into the 2009 season versus their dynasty draft position or trade value?

Assume standard PPR scoring (1 pt/10 yards, 6 pts/TD, 1 PPR) and a 2-3 year horizon. Any replies may be used in our feature article going out once the pre-season kicks off.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:15 am

I voted Chad Ochocinco. Chad is going a couple rounds lower than his peers in most drafts I've seen. Yes he had a down year last season but that had to do with Palmer's injury and his own. Before last season he put together an impressive 6 year span where he averaged almost 90 receptions, over 1300 yards, and 8 TD's and he's still only 31 years old. With Chad and Palmer returning to good health I expect Ochocinco to return to one of the better fantasy options in the league.

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:37 am

I vote for Ochocinco. He is the only guy to have had more than 1 elite season (ALA Edwards). After a couple of down seasons, due to Palmer being hurt, he could step right back up to that elite status.

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:49 am

I voted Chad Johnson, allthough ther could be made a point for any of them.
Last edited by BradyT on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:49 am

Steelersfan wrote:I voted Chad Ochocinco. Chad is going a couple rounds lower than his peers in most drafts I've seen. Yes he had a down year last season but that had to do with Palmer's injury and his own. Before last season he put together an impressive 6 year span where he averaged almost 90 receptions, over 1300 yards, and 8 TD's and he's still only 31 years old. With Chad and Palmer returning to good health I expect Ochocinco to return to one of the better fantasy options in the league.
Yeah...What Mark said!

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:05 am

Also voted for Chad. I actually think the expectations of Roy Williams are too high, not too low. I'd rather own Lee Evans. Braylon may be being slightly overvalued, at least by his owners. He is still trading like a top 10 WR.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:06 am

I agree with a lot of whats been said about Ocho Cinco, but i don't think that the Bengals offense is good enough for him to bounce back to his old ways. I think he will have a solid season, but i dont expect to come anywhere near the 90/1300/8 that he averaged. More like 70/1000/5, which is still solid numbers and he is undervalued, but i think Edwards is far more undervalued. He had a terrible year last year, with the drops and everything, but the offense for them really struggled, and the coachign was horrible, and it was just a horrible situation. I think he plays the year like he has a chip on his shoulder after they couldnt get anyone to trade for him and pay him the big bucks. The guy had 80/1300/16 only a year ago. I expect Quinn to step up and give them solid QB play this year, and Edwards to jump back up into top top 10/15 wide out territory.
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:16 am

Can I vote for all of them? :)

I voted for Edwards but was really torn between he and Chad. Both players are incredibly undervalued right now. And, I agree with everything said about Chad above. I went with Edwards because I think both are being drafted fairly close to each other right now and I would take Edwards over Chad in a start up draft. Edwards could soon see himself in the top 5 again while Chad will never get back there. Though, I do expect Chad to out perform Edwards this year, especially in PPR leagues.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:53 am

I voted for Braylon here, although I'd probably vote for Marshall if he were on here. I've seen too many owners quickly trying to unload Marshall and sellling him very low due to his current off field concerns when he can still be a top 5 WR when the season starts again.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:43 am

I'm loving this thread! I added Braylon on two of my 3 dynasty teams. I added Roy Williams on one of those. Finally, I traded for #85 last night at add to one of the Braylon teams, too. I didn't overpay for any of them and it's almost all gravy if they produce anything beyond last year's numbers, which shouldn't be tough. Pay for last year's terrible stats, hopefully enjoy this year's potentially great production. Chad's history suggests he'll be awesome, as Mark and other said. I'm excited about that. Braylon is in a contract year, so even if the QBs bomb in CLE, he might go elsewhere next season (likely, since CLE drafted Massaquoi and Robiskie).

Regardless of who I own, I think Evans should be in the overrated poll (coming soon?). He's far to inconsistent for my liking - boom or bust in PPR leagues, anyway.

No respect? Roy Williams. The #1 option in Dallas, a great offense with a prolific passer, and viewed as a scrub. He has all the tools, great hands, size, decent speed, good body control. There is a reason Dallas traded such a huge boatload of picks and gave such a monster deal to him. He's going to revive his career and post great numbers. He might not take off right away, but by season's end, he'll be in the top-10 easily, IMO.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:05 pm

Misfit74 wrote: Regardless of who I own, I think Evans should be in the overrated poll (coming soon?). He's far to inconsistent for my liking - boom or bust in PPR leagues, anyway.

No respect? Roy Williams. The #1 option in Dallas, a great offense with a prolific passer, and viewed as a scrub. He has all the tools, great hands, size, decent speed, good body control. There is a reason Dallas traded such a huge boatload of picks and gave such a monster deal to him. He's going to revive his career and post great numbers. He might not take off right away, but by season's end, he'll be in the top-10 easily, IMO.
I think Williams and Evans are a fair comparison to each other. How is Evans criticized for being inconsistent and Williams isn't? Evans was better in '04 and 05' than Williams, equal in '06 and '07, and then better in '08. I had both on my roster at the end of this past season and dealt Williams this off-season because of the perception that he is better than Evans. Evans has been the more consistent option over the course of his career. With Owens in town, he finally has someone to take away the double teams and should have yet another solid season.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:15 pm

skip wrote:
Misfit74 wrote: Regardless of who I own, I think Evans should be in the overrated poll (coming soon?). He's far to inconsistent for my liking - boom or bust in PPR leagues, anyway.

I think Williams and Evans are a fair comparison to each other. How is Evans criticized for being inconsistent and Williams isn't? Evans was better in '04 and 05' than Williams, equal in '06 and '07, and then better in '08. I had both on my roster at the end of this past season and dealt Williams this off-season because of the perception that he is better than Evans. Evans has been the more consistent option over the course of his career. With Owens in town, he finally has someone to take away the double teams and should have yet another solid season.
It's totally fair to question William's consistency, esp. with last year's results. I'm speaking on more of a week-to-week basis.Williams in most years had at least 6 catches per game, which of course affects yardage totals, as well. I prefer guys who produce week in and week out, and I wouldn't feel confident in any given week that Evans would produce.

I have much more confidence in Williams getting his this and in future years. Look at Roy's game logs from '07 and back. More often than not he had 6 or more catches. Only 5 games each year in '06-07 with 4 or fewer receptions - and that's in Detroit.

Last year Evans had 11 games with 4 or fewer receptions. In '07 Evans had 12 games with 4 catches or less. Those are facts that support my claim that Evans is inconsitent.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:31 pm

Misfit74 wrote:Williams in most years had at least 6 catches per game, which of course affects yardage totals, as well.
Statistically impossible. Only once has Williams averaged more than 4 per game, just like Evans. The two have careers that very much mirror one another.

GridIronFavre
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby GridIronFavre » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:36 pm

I was torn between Evans and Ochocinco and ended up going with Evans. Braylon had a down season last year but still has not lost that much value in many owner's eyes. Roy Williams value went up when TO left town but I don't see him being a true #1 WR in the NFL, let alone fantasy. Which leaves Evans and Ochocinco. I think the Chad will bounce back this season and will put up really good numbers with Housh now gone. That being said, Evans seems to get no respect. I know that he has not put up any dominant years but he has been on a team that is constantly in flux. With a possible answer at QB in Trent Edwards and other viable offense options, I see Evans having a big season.
Start: 2 QB, 3 RB, 5 WR, 2 TE (All TDs=6, 1 per 10 rush/rec, 1 per 25 pass, NO PPR) 8 teams
QB: Rodgers, Vick, Cutler, Schaub, Luck
RB: Rice, CJ, McFadden, Richardson, Stewart, Ingram, Spiller, Vereen
WR: Green, Marshall, Roddy, Jennings, Roddy, Bowe, Maclin, Britt, A Brown, Williams (TB), Collie, Smith (STL)
TE: Graham, Finley, F Davis, Cook
Taxi Squad: Tebow, Crabtree, Jeffrey, Hill, Gordon

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:16 pm

I think Ochocinco wins this one with Braylon belonging in next seasons "overvalued" thread...