Commish dilemma - PLEASE ADVISE.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

Commish dilemma - PLEASE ADVISE.

Postby hamburglar » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:53 pm

Ive been playing fantasy football for 20 years now. At least half of which as a commish and in multiple leagues.

I'm in a league with other members from this forum I belive in which we think the commish may have died over the summer. He vanished a few times and when he came back told us he was having heart problems then he vanished again at the end of august.

No one but me was willing to step up and commish the league - which I didnt even want to do-- but at the end of the day didn't see a choice.

Fast forward to this morning there were two trades that I woke to see had been executed today... BOTH involving players that had already played and started for their teams that had traded them away.

I have NEVER in 20 years seen that. Nor do I at this point know how to handle it. My instinct is to reverse the deals and tell the teams to re execute them on tuesday... but people seem to be crying bloody murder already.

Does anyone know of any precedent for situations like this? Please advise.

steeltown75
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Commish dilemma - PLEASE ADVISE.

Postby steeltown75 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:59 pm

My site automatically locks players that have played that week. If yours doesn't, you should reverse the trade and tell the guys to redo the trade on Tuesday morning. I don't really see what the problem with that is and why that would upset anyone.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:11 pm

Same here, and change the settings to lock for the week, etc..

I've also seen loop hole clauses giving the Commish the power to fix obvious loop holes in settings or scoring etc..
Last edited by Plank on Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@PlankMelody

teprovich88
Captain
Captain

Postby teprovich88 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:19 pm

Reverse the deals and tell the teams to retrade on Tuesday. That is commonsense. Not sure of any league where a trade with locked players will be processed.
Pittsburgh Predators: 2015, 2016, 2020, 2021 Champion
NDFL: http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/14733#0

Pittsburgh Tyrants: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020 Champion
ADFL: http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/12028#0

DLF HoF: http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/23015#0

DLF Premium: http://www57.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/15795#0

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:21 pm

hamburglar wrote:Ive been playing fantasy football for 20 years now. At least half of which as a commish and in multiple leagues.

I'm in a league with other members from this forum I belive in which we think the commish may have died over the summer. He vanished a few times and when he came back told us he was having heart problems then he vanished again at the end of august.

No one but me was willing to step up and commish the league - which I didnt even want to do-- but at the end of the day didn't see a choice.

Fast forward to this morning there were two trades that I woke to see had been executed today... BOTH involving players that had already played and started for their teams that had traded them away.

I have NEVER in 20 years seen that. Nor do I at this point know how to handle it. My instinct is to reverse the deals and tell the teams to re execute them on tuesday... but people seem to be crying bloody murder already.

Does anyone know of any precedent for situations like this? Please advise.
Seen it quite a few times, not sure what the big deal is.

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:47 pm

I see it happen all the time. It's a non-issue IMO. If the player was inserted into the starting lineup of the team that traded them away, the points stay in that team's starting lineup. The team trading for the player that has already played does NOT get to insert those points into their lineup for that week. They have to wait until the following week to start them.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:07 pm

i believe most league sites allow the trade but the players cant be used till the following week anyway. so its not really a big deal. Even the players who were received that hadnt played yet would get locked into their current team if I'm not mistaken.

If a team has demarco murray and uses him on thursday then trades him on saturday for Dem Thomas, the site wouldnt let the owner put thomas in his lineup because if you notice on MFL when you click on a player screen you'll see the words "propose trade" next to a certain week. In this case it would be week 14 because thats when the deal takes effect.

If for some reason your league software would allow somebody to trade a locked player for an unlocked player and use that unlocked player that week then somethings wrong and that shouldnt be allowed. but as long as the team doesnt get to use both players in the same week it should be fine.

hailtoyourvictor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby hailtoyourvictor » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:25 pm

Kind of weird to think that the commish may have died.

hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

Postby hamburglar » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:44 am

hailtoyourvictor wrote:Kind of weird to think that the commish may have died.
VERY WEIRD-- but thats a whole other tangent. We had MFL try to contact him we called his number-- no response. right now I need to decide what to do in a very short amount of time. And most of the league isn't even responding yet with their input. Obviously the four teams in the trade want to push it thru Im sure.

I just dont even see how its possible.

Amarok
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Amarok » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:46 am

No kidding - Talk about burying the lead. I see you said that's a whole tangent, but maybe this warrants a call to the local authorities? :shock:
14 Team Dynasty League with 21 man rosters
.5 PPR, 4 pts/Passing TD, Scored w/ Fractionals
Start 1 QB/2 RB/3 WR/1TE/2 Flex/1 K/1 Def

QB: M. Stafford; E. Manning; R. Griffin III
RB: L. McCoy; A. Abdullah; A. Ellington; R. Mathews; C. Michael;
WR: C. Johnson; D. Thomas; Antonio Brown; J. Gordon; P. Harvin; D. Adams; D. Moncrief; J. Strong
TE: J. Thomas; L. Green; E. Ebron
K: C. Sturgis
DEF: Jacksonville

hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

Postby hamburglar » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:03 am

Amarok wrote:
No kidding - Talk about burying the lead. I see you said that's a whole tangent, but maybe this warrants a call to the local authorities? :shock:
We dont suspect he was murdered. Like I said he vanished for a while and came back and said he'd been having heart problems and was very sick... he was active again for a month or so-- ran the draft then poof vanished again. That's why we all suspect he died. It's a $30 buy in league with MFL-- so I mean w/e but I'm trying to at least run this season out fairly and this whole trading guys who already played this week seems like total shenanigans to me.

DonBrazi
MVP
MVP

Postby DonBrazi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:43 am

Same exact thing happened in a league I'm in. A few of us around here are in it, in fact. Might be same commissioner even. We're still looking for a replacement as well...

As to your specific dilemma, the main thing in my mind (as has already been stated) is that you don't let two teams use the same player in one week or a team use a player who has already played before he was inserted into the starting lineup. As far as the players being on new rosters, that's no big deal.
IRL 12Team 28man 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1Superflex: PPR w/ small TE-Premium
Dak, Murray, Wentz, Darnold, Fitzpatrick
CEH, Gibson, Sanders, Javonte, Moss, Nwangwu
ARob, Sutton, ODB, Parker, Ruggs, Miller, Boykin
Waller, Hockenson, Pitts, OJH, Trautman, Gesicki, Everett
2022 1st (2), 2nd, 3rd, 4th

War Room 12Team 28man: 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 4Flex, 1Superflex: .5/1/1.5 Tiered-PPR, 1-Round Devy league
Dak, Murray, LJax, *Rattler
Etienne, AJD, Hubbard, Stevenson, Hawkins, *Spiller
Sutton, ODB, Jeudy, Reagor, Shenault, Rodgers, Kirk, Boykin, *G.Wilson
Hockenson, Jonnu, Firkser, Asiasi
2022 1st (2), 2nd, 3rd, *Devy 4th (2)

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:09 am

Yeah, fairly simple in my mind. You can't insert any player into your starting lineup after they've played. So sure, the trade can happen, but the points accumulated stay where they were. If they guys made the trade with guys in tonights game they can start them. If they made the trade prior to kickoff of any players games and the league settings allows them to add them to their lineup then that's fine too. I'm not sure I fully understand what the leaguemates want to do? I'm assuming they weren't able to trade guys after games kicked off and then add them to their starting lineup as I think typical MFL settings wouldn't allow that to happen.

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:55 pm

I actually had a trade like this go down in one of my leagues this year. A guy started a player on Thursday, traded him on Saturday for players that he could start on Sunday. The commish had to go in and alter the owners lineup because it was saying they had an incomplete lineup. I didn't put up too much of a stink because the team acquiring the players to play wasn't in contention and wasn't playing anybody who was but in addition to people saying two teams not being able to start a player and not being able to trade for a player and start them after they've played I don't see how you should be able to use players acquired through a trade like that until the following week.

It's being addressed in the offseason because the bylaws are unclear but, to me, that would essentially be like having extra roster spots.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League