Rice released

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
evorzan
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Rice released

Postby evorzan » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:57 pm

Glad this happened - the release/suspension, not the act of violence. Someone who gets paid to be big and strong has no business touching a woman. That's like a regular guy hitting someone with a club/bat.
Follow me @evorzan on Twitter
Formerly posting as Steveeb

KCLep20
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby KCLep20 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:02 pm

JFever wrote:
Falim wrote:I'm not too sure what people were expecting. It takes one hell of a hit to knock someone out cold like the video of rice dragging her out of the elevator showed.

Not that I'm condoning it in any way, but I'd have to disagree with this ^. If she was drinking as heavily as many indicated they both were, and her blood alcohol was high enough (not sure what it was) - It doesn't take much to "knock someone out" - more likely than not her being semi unconscious was primarily due to the alcohol abuse and fatigue, more so than the actual impact of a punch. Obviously there was contact - (I saw the clip) and that in and of itself is inexcusable. So... bottom line - he should be suspended. To be flat out released - now, that is a statement and a strong stand at that. Wonder if S.F. will start releasing guys.... :think: Doubt it. The Video is powerfully damming evidence and it's release simply forced the hand of the Ravens brass.

What an embarrassment for all involved. Embarrassing for a man that should know better, embarrassing for a one time positive role model who flushed it all away, embarrassing for an NFL running back that prior to this incident had an impeccable track record of upstanding behavior and public service, embarrassing for Rice and his Fiance in that they are now married and have moved on as a couple - yet months later - they are paying a huge price as the media (NEEDS) to continue to dwell on something - anything.... and, embarrassing for Goodell, the Ravens, and the League itself, because everyone and their brother knows that this leaking of the in the elevator evidence sure in the heck isn't' the first time they've seen it. Not a chance. This whole thing is sickening to the stomach.

For the record, and not that it makes a difference in this particular case, but, TMZ is a trash network. They are the television equivalent to the National Enquirer magazine. Big picture wise, they are worthless and they simply stir up drama in order to rationalize their own employment. I can't help but visualize the average person that loves TMZ..... Smh... They are all drama queens, and frankly I have nothing but disdain for them. TMZ is trash. :thumbdown:
You are quite a piece of work. First of all, thank you to TMZ for doing what the NFL apparently couldn't and getting a tape of inside the elevator. I don't care if they are a "trash" network show, they did a solid job on this one. And don't blame the media for stirring the pot, they showed true evidence that had been held back, that's not stirring the pot. that's reporting. And to your wild and indefensible account of it was the alcohol and fatigue that made her be knocked unconscious, i would like to see you get cold clocked by an NFL athlete who outweighs you by probably 100 pounds.

This is one of the worst posts i have ever read, and i hope you seriously think about what you're saying. there is no defense for what he did, i don't care how "drunk" or "tired" she was or if she slapped him first.
1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex (RB/WR/TE)/1 Superflex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
'Ships: 2008, 2017, 2019, 2021; 2nd place: 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022
12 team PPR with 14 Keepers/year
2023 Draft Picks: 1.04, 1.05, 1.11, 3.04, 3.07, 5.04
QB: L.Jackson, J. Burrow, G. Minshew, J. Winston
RB: J.Mixon, ETN, Jav.Williams, J.Conner, Z.Moss, JK Dobbins (IR), N.Chubb (IR)
WR: AJB, CD Lamb, DK, C.Sutton
TE: M.Andrews, T.McBride, I. Likely

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:05 pm

JFever wrote:
Falim wrote:I'm not too sure what people were expecting. It takes one hell of a hit to knock someone out cold like the video of rice dragging her out of the elevator showed.

Not that I'm condoning it in any way, but I'd have to disagree with this ^. If she was drinking as heavily as many indicated they both were, and her blood alcohol was high enough (not sure what it was) - It doesn't take much to "knock someone out" - more likely than not her being semi unconscious was primarily due to the alcohol abuse and fatigue, more so than the actual impact of a punch. Obviously there was contact - (I saw the clip) and that in and of itself is inexcusable. So... bottom line - he should be suspended. To be flat out released - now, that is a statement and a strong stand at that. Wonder if S.F. will start releasing guys.... :think: Doubt it. The Video is powerfully damming evidence and it's release simply forced the hand of the Ravens brass.

What an embarrassment for all involved. Embarrassing for a man that should know better, embarrassing for a one time positive role model who flushed it all away, embarrassing for an NFL running back that prior to this incident had an impeccable track record of upstanding behavior and public service, embarrassing for Rice and his Fiance in that they are now married and have moved on as a couple - yet months later - they are paying a huge price as the media (NEEDS) to continue to dwell on something - anything.... and, embarrassing for Goodell, the Ravens, and the League itself, because everyone and their brother knows that this leaking of the in the elevator evidence sure in the heck isn't' the first time they've seen it. Not a chance. This whole thing is sickening to the stomach.

For the record, and not that it makes a difference in this particular case, but, TMZ is a trash network. They are the television equivalent to the National Enquirer magazine. Big picture wise, they are worthless and they simply stir up drama in order to rationalize their own employment. I can't help but visualize the average person that loves TMZ..... Smh... They are all drama queens, and frankly I have nothing but disdain for them. TMZ is trash. :thumbdown:

I agree wholeheartedly with your view on TMZ. With that said, it is a sad commentary on the state of the League Office and sports journalism that it took TMZ to get a degree of justice in this case. Everyone should take a moment to think about that....

StraightCashHomie
Starter
Starter

Postby StraightCashHomie » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:13 pm

JFever wrote: What an embarrassment for all involved. Embarrassing for a man that should know better, embarrassing for a one time positive role model who flushed it all away, embarrassing for an NFL running back that prior to this incident had an impeccable track record of upstanding behavior and public service, embarrassing for Rice and his Fiance in that they are now married and have moved on as a couple - yet months later - they are paying a huge price as the media (NEEDS) to continue to dwell on something - anything.... and, embarrassing for Goodell, the Ravens, and the League itself, because everyone and their brother knows that this leaking of the in the elevator evidence sure in the heck isn't' the first time they've seen it. Not a chance. This whole thing is sickening to the stomach.
While they are married now I doubt that they have moved on as a couple.

They got married immediately AFTER this happened, on purpose, in order to keep him out of jail and in order to keep her cash cow getting paid... as a partner in marriage you can refuse to testify against your spouse.

This is not something that is the media's fault, this is justice being served, and probably not as much justice as should be served. You can trash TMZ all you want too, but they pay big money in order to get the dirt on the people that pay big money to cover up their dirt. Without organizations willing to do that the rich and famous would be able to walk all over the lower classes even more so.
Your 2013 Prediction Contest Champion

Barely active anymore... adulting is tough. Down to three dynasty leagues, one keeper, and two redrafts.

CrimsonKodiak
Starter
Starter

Postby CrimsonKodiak » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:14 pm

Jules wrote: That aside, who would want the PR nightmare?
The Browns.

Geez between Manziel and Gordon they are getting enough practice at handling the media circus. Media outlets can save some travel costs by having all their reports in one place.
DLF Premium league (QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, W/R/T, W/R/T) PPR
QB - Brady, Carr, Hoyer, Lynch
RB - CJA, Miller, Langford, Henry, Vereen, J. Allen, McCluster, Darkwa
WR - Sanders, Woods, Funchess, Jo Brown, Hogan, Ph. Cooper, Heyward-Bey, Wright, Marquess Wilson, Hunter, Goodwin, Fuller
TE - Gronkowski, Ebron, Chandler, Boyle

2017 1,2,3

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:15 pm

Jules wrote:
jdomer2403 wrote:where does rice go from here? certainly a team will pick him up. prolly Oakland.
I don't know. The NFL is a cartel, and the owners -- to some extent -- take their marching orders from Goodell. Strongly suspect he's "encouraged" the other 31 teams not to touch Rice.

That aside, who would want the PR nightmare?
I think that he won't be picked up until probably the off season because by then it can be spun as "he took anger management classes, is a changed man, blah blah" and the public outcry will be minimal. I mean Mike Vick and Big Ben are still in the NFL...

However, I don't think the power dynamic is like that at all. The NFL is a cartel, and Goodell is a face for them. He takes his orders from the owners, and in exchange for taking all the bad press, fan hatred, etc. they pay him way too much. It seems unlikely that the group of people who hired and pay Goodell are now under his thumb.

That all said this to me makes the league and the Ravens look terrible. Worse than Rice actually IMO - because they were willing to let him hang around until the public saw what they undoubtedly saw. Then the PR was too much to overcome. The disgusting thing is that they took little action (NFL) or no action (Ravens) until the video evidence surfaced, so they were fairly OK with what he did until other people knew about it. That is what makes me sick...

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:27 pm

Csl312 wrote:However, I don't think the power dynamic is like that at all. The NFL is a cartel, and Goodell is a face for them. He takes his orders from the owners, and in exchange for taking all the bad press, fan hatred, etc. they pay him way too much. It seems unlikely that the group of people who hired and pay Goodell are now under his thumb.
Good point. It's not like Goodell is the puppetmaster. But if he would have pressured teams not to sign Rice, individual owners likely would have complied, believing probably correctly) that (1) Goodell would exact some informal penalty and (2) the other owners would support Goodell. As it turns out, the bullshit story about "new evidence" meant Goodell could eliminate any doubt.
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:38 pm

JFever wrote:

A little surprised at the reaction you've gotten to this post. Agree that it is 100% inexcusable and it is pretty clear that he hit her really hard.

All that being said, I agree with your general point that, prior to seeing this video, it is believable that an incredibly intoxicated person wouldn't need to be punched forcefully to be knocked out. From the news that had been released earlier it sounded to me, although I'll admit I didn't follow it too closely, that it was an accident and/or in self defense so I had imagined they might have been in a verbal argument she came at him and he pushed her away and hit her in the process. Probably naive in hindsight but small, heavily intoxicated person being unconscious doesn't have to come from and intentional, closed fist hit.

Re: TMZ, I completely agree that they are trash. In this particular case I think they brought an injustice to light but they still participate in tons of unsavory practices including stalking and harassment and think we would be better off without them.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

The Juggernaut
Role Player
Role Player

Postby The Juggernaut » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:48 pm

Thats bull$hit...the league already knew that he knocked his wife out cold in an elevator. New evidence makes them alter their punishment!? What did they think it would look like? He admitted punching her out. They should have gotten it right in the first place. Now they change it after he has served a game? wow... I bet he beats it in court.
Last edited by The Juggernaut on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Custom scoring PPR ***FULL REBUILD…11 Starters
1-2 QBs Rodgers, Hurts, Cunningham
2-5 RBs Abanikanda, Dobbins, Akers, Tucker, Strong,
3-6 WRs D.Smith, Juju, DJ Moore, Pierce, Mims, Wilson, Marshall
1-2 TEs Goedert, Johnson, McBride
1-D Washington

Devy Henderson, Egbuka, J.Dickey, Judkins, R.Owens, B. Robinson

The Juggernaut
Role Player
Role Player

Postby The Juggernaut » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:50 pm

His punch didn't knock her out. She hit her head on the elevator railing. Metal doesn't give much... :wall:
Last edited by The Juggernaut on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Custom scoring PPR ***FULL REBUILD…11 Starters
1-2 QBs Rodgers, Hurts, Cunningham
2-5 RBs Abanikanda, Dobbins, Akers, Tucker, Strong,
3-6 WRs D.Smith, Juju, DJ Moore, Pierce, Mims, Wilson, Marshall
1-2 TEs Goedert, Johnson, McBride
1-D Washington

Devy Henderson, Egbuka, J.Dickey, Judkins, R.Owens, B. Robinson

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:51 pm

The Juggernaut wrote:Thats bull$hit...the league knew that he knocked his wife out cold in an elevator. New evidence makes them alter their punishment!? What did they think it would look like? He admitted punching her out. They should have gotten it right in the first place. Now they change it after he has served a game? wow... I bet he beats it in court.
The court thing is a good point. I wonder how they justify an indefinite suspension when they just put a policy in place that says first time offenders get 6 games. Not that I think 6 games is enough still, but hey that is the rule they just enacted and already they are showing that the league won't actually stick to that punishment.

Both the personal conduct and collectively bargained punishments for these players are a joke. League does whatever it feels like and NFLPA fights anything and everything even when the player was definitely in the wrong...

CrimsonKodiak
Starter
Starter

Postby CrimsonKodiak » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:57 pm

Csl312 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:Thats bull$hit...the league knew that he knocked his wife out cold in an elevator. New evidence makes them alter their punishment!? What did they think it would look like? He admitted punching her out. They should have gotten it right in the first place. Now they change it after he has served a game? wow... I bet he beats it in court.
The court thing is a good point. I wonder how they justify an indefinite suspension when they just put a policy in place that says first time offenders get 6 games. Not that I think 6 games is enough still, but hey that is the rule they just enacted and already they are showing that the league won't actually stick to that punishment.

Both the personal conduct and collectively bargained punishments for these players are a joke. League does whatever it feels like and NFLPA fights anything and everything even when the player was definitely in the wrong...
I was waiting for a response that brought up the new violation rules.

If they decrease a suspension/punishment and allow a prior "conviction" the new punishment - (see GORDON), then if they Increase the suspension/punishment then they should also subject the prior "conviction to the new punishment....

am I right or does this only work if you are decreasing a punishment?

Personally I think that whatever the punishment is at the time should be what you serve, regardless of changes made in the future.
WR - Sanders, Woods, Funchess, Jo Brown, Hogan, Ph. Cooper, Heyward-Bey, Wright, Marquess Wilson, Hunter, Goodwin, Fuller

2017 1,2,3

drobes
Starter
Starter

Postby drobes » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:15 pm

The Ravens releasing him and the league suspending him indefinitely is an act of full-on damage control by both parties.

Rice owners can keep holding and hoping if they want but this isn't going to be overturned in any arbitration or courts. Rice turns 28 in January and has most likely played his last down in the NFL. He's certainly not worth rostering.

Anyone who thinks that Rice didn't deserve what he got hasn't seen the videos or is in denial and somehow trying to justify his actions in their own minds. If he wasn't a star RB for the Raven's he probably would have gone to jail. There was an attempted cover up and slap on the wrist. Unfortunately for the NFL/Ravens/Rice the story didn't go away.

CrimsonKodiak
Starter
Starter

Postby CrimsonKodiak » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:22 pm

drobes wrote:The Ravens releasing him and the league suspending him indefinitely is an act of full-on damage control by both parties.

Rice owners can keep holding and hoping if they want but this isn't going to be overturned in any arbitration or courts. Rice turns 28 in January and has most likely played his last down in the NFL. He's certainly not worth rostering.

Anyone who thinks that Rice didn't deserve what he got hasn't seen the videos or is in denial and somehow trying to justify his actions in their own minds. If he wasn't a star RB for the Raven's he probably would have gone to jail. There was an attempted cover up and slap on the wrist. Unfortunately for the NFL/Ravens/Rice the story didn't go away.
There is a sharp contrast to what people think ethically should of happened to Ray Rice and the arguments as to what is currently taking place within the NFL.

Personally, its appalling that what he did to his fiancé. There is no justification to his actions whatsoever. But you can't just go around knee jerk reactioning a punishment because of newly public perception about the crime.

2017 1,2,3

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:26 pm

The NFL will justify the additional punishment based on the negative impact his actions had on the league. It's fiarly standard. There's no punishment on the books for engaging in dog fighting, but Vick stil, got what he got.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker