Dynasty league sites

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
bonscott
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Dynasty league sites

Postby bonscott » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:14 am

Reno McCoy wrote:How is MFL's apps?

We use CBS, which is expensive, but we've had no problems with it since our league's inception. And the phone app, which is what most of my owners use during the season, is fantastic.
MFL has no official mobile apps, but there are several 3rd party apps on both iOS and Android. But frankly, the actual web site itself is very mobile friendly and I don't see the need for any additional apps. There are both a mobile version of many reports including the ability to submit your lineup as well as just go to the actual main web page which again is very mobile friendly. Play around with the format and modules and so long as you don't go crazy with lots of flashy stuff it'll be just fine on a phone.

QB Eagles
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby QB Eagles » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:42 am

I'm in a number of leagues on MFL and a few on Fleaflicker. I'm still trying to figure out why so many people thing MFL is the best thing out there. IMO, it is just ok. There are a few nice features, but nothing that truly sets it above the rest to me. I haven't had any issues with Flea.

bonscott
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bonscott » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:28 am

QB Eagles wrote:I'm in a number of leagues on MFL and a few on Fleaflicker. I'm still trying to figure out why so many people thing MFL is the best thing out there. IMO, it is just ok. There are a few nice features, but nothing that truly sets it above the rest to me. I haven't had any issues with Flea.
I think MFL is popular for commish's based on the tremendous amount of options to literally setup your league however you want. You are not limited by any of the automated options and can do anything manually should you choose to do so. Very few other sites offer this flexibility. Obviously if another service supports your rules then that appeal of MFL isn't as great.

Another appeal to MFL is the unlimited ways you can customize it's look. It comes with a "basic" look with several dozen "skins" to change it's look. But you have nearly infinite ways to easily customize what is displayed and how it looks even with no programming knowledge. And if you do, then the sky's the limit.

But again, this may not appeal to everyone.

MFL support is also top notch, response within 24 hours most times, and the support forum is hard to beat. This can't be said for sites like ESPN, Yahoo, etc. But other smaller sites may have great support too.

MFL also offers full year round support for dynasty leagues and has for many, many years, again something most other services don't offer. And you have full history of your previous years leagues, all the way back to the mid 80s last I looked, something nobody else offers that I'm aware of. But, like a broken record, that may not be important to some.

MFL has also been around forever, nearly 20 years, so there is a lot of history of people being with them for a very long time, before pretty much any other web service was even thought of. So there is a lot of long term loyalty there.

All that is not to say there aren't other great services out there, but this collection of things (along with many others I didn't mention) are why MFL is so popular.

roasty
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby roasty » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:04 am

beginning my 2nd season on MFL...theres really nothing better for customized Dynasty\Contract league. The only real issue anyone in the league has with it is its live scoring...its pretty bad.

bonscott
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bonscott » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:26 pm

roasty wrote:The only real issue anyone in the league has with it is its live scoring...its pretty bad.
What about it? Their web site looks ugly for sure but it's up to date and accurate. You can change the look with various skins with no coding knowledge or if you know your CSS you can do a lot of things to pretty it up (or download someone else's CSS they use).

Their PC app GameDay is the best live scoring of any service hands down. 30 second updates, audio announcements of scores (and other things if you wish), can track multiple leagues all at once, very customizable. Downside of course is it only works on Windows, but even today that's still over 90% of users.

For the web you might want to check on the MFL forums for Habmans's live scoreboard script which replaces the MFL default scoring page and it looks great on phones and tablets as well.

So if the look is what's the problem, there are several ways around that if you want to look into it.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:42 pm

Have tried to create two leagues on MFL over the past twelve months, and both times abandoned the effort after getting frustrated with the system, which is not user friendly at all, especially when it comes to league setup.

All my leagues are fun on ESPN. It is simple up to use, clean and free.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:41 am

I have been playing FF since the late 90's and have tried a ton of the sites. I'll give my opinion on only the sites that I have played dynasty on. ESPN is the site I have played on for the most part. It may be simple, and not have all the bells and whistles, but it's the easiest to navigate in my opinion. I have been an owner and a commish in ESPN and the league is easy to use and it is customizable to an extent with a little HTML knowledge. By far my favorite site to play on and host leagues.

Fantrax is another site that I just recently started a league in. It is not as customizable, but it makes up for that with the gadgets that are on the league home page. It's a bit of a pain to navigate with mobile devices sometimes (which is a big knock for me, but I get by), but it is still a nice alternative to the big sites.

MFL, I am new to playing in. I have done several start ups on, but this is the first year I am playing in a league. From what I can tell, it is an extremely customizable league with a ton of options. It is a pain to navitage sometimes but I think you just need to get used to it.

Reno McCoy
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Reno McCoy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:08 am

When we set up our dynasty league, we chose NOT go to go ESPN because we thought the system wasn't set up well for keepers and salary caps and things like trading draft picks. Anyone care to chime in on how easy it is to commish on ESPN? What's lacking in the system?

For what it's worth, we chose CBS, and it's crazy expensive, but we've learned to enjoy the system.
16-team salary/contract league (start QB, RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2Flex, K, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 DEF FLEX)

QB: Foles, Bortles, Brissett, Mullens
RB: Bell, Ingram, Guice, Singletary
WR: Landry, Boyd, Shepard, Allison, Pettis, Kirk, Gallup, M. Brown
TE: Ertz, Everett
DL: Dunlap, Hunter, J. Allen, McKinley
LB: Ogletree, Wagner, Telvin Smith, Devin Bush, Eric Kendricks, Tavai
DB: Reshad Jones, H. Smith, Collins
K: Badgely, Elliott

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:55 am

I commish a league on ESPN, and it's super easy, but that's because there's so few options there's not much you can screw up.

Reno McCoy
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Reno McCoy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:30 pm

italian_stallion21 wrote:I commish a league on ESPN, and it's super easy, but that's because there's so few options there's not much you can screw up.
The "so few options" comment makes me hesitant to switch over. I'd hate to move there just to find out that the limited options makes for a more limited league or that performing typical dynasty/keeper league options is a trial.
16-team salary/contract league (start QB, RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2Flex, K, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 DEF FLEX)

QB: Foles, Bortles, Brissett, Mullens
RB: Bell, Ingram, Guice, Singletary
WR: Landry, Boyd, Shepard, Allison, Pettis, Kirk, Gallup, M. Brown
TE: Ertz, Everett
DL: Dunlap, Hunter, J. Allen, McKinley
LB: Ogletree, Wagner, Telvin Smith, Devin Bush, Eric Kendricks, Tavai
DB: Reshad Jones, H. Smith, Collins
K: Badgely, Elliott

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:33 pm

Reno McCoy wrote:
italian_stallion21 wrote:I commish a league on ESPN, and it's super easy, but that's because there's so few options there's not much you can screw up.
The "so few options" comment makes me hesitant to switch over. I'd hate to move there just to find out that the limited options makes for a more limited league or that performing typical dynasty/keeper league options is a trial.
I use it for redraft only now. All of my dynasties (commish or not) are on NFL, and it took a couple days to get used to but I won't join one anywhere else FWIW.

bonscott
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bonscott » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:59 pm

italian_stallion21 wrote:
Reno McCoy wrote:
I use it for redraft only now. All of my dynasties (commish or not) are on NFL, and it took a couple days to get used to but I won't join one anywhere else FWIW.
Do you mean MFL? I think NFL.com is run by one of the other "basic" sites like CBS or ESPN.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:49 pm

You are correct, I meant MFL. I did however have a league on NFL and wasn't a giant fan of their dynasty options either. Quit it though.

bonscott
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bonscott » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:45 am

Cool.

I think dynasty and especially contract leagues really need to look into MFL or Fleaflicker as they fully support these things. Using redraft centric sites like CBS or ESPN is doing a lot of manual work and tracking that just doesn't have to be done.

TheClarkie
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby TheClarkie » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:39 pm

cc texan wrote:
joekool wrote:I have played mfl before and I am in the minority in that, I pretty much HATE it.
It rates a 10+ on options/customization etc
It rates a 1 or 2 on the UI...which makes me not enjoy it.

I still prefer Yahoo.
Sue me.

;)

I think that for most leagues, MFL is way, way too convoluted. There are free platforms out there (like ESPN) that are perfect for standard-ish scoring set ups.

I'm curious about Reality Sports Online, though I heard reviews all over the place on it.

Has anyone used Reality Sports Online (RSO)? Any thoughts on MFL vs. RSO?

I've sort of been declared the commissioner of a dynasty league that we will be starting this year and need to determine which site we will use to host the league. Thus far, I must agree that MFL's UI seems less than preferable.