Looking for tips for a new start up league

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Barian Fostate
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Looking for tips for a new start up league

Postby Barian Fostate » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Here's a quick breakdown just so you know all the relevant information. It's a 16 team PPR.

0.067 points per receiving yard.
0.5 PPR for RB.
0.75 PPR for WR.
1 PPR for TE.
Points also awarded for everything from return yardage, to sacks, to tackles for loss, to passes defensed to blocked punts.

45 roster spots.
22 starters.
15 bench.
8 practice squad.
1 QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, 1 TE, 2 (RB/WR/TE), 1 PK.
1 DT, 2 DE, 3 LB, 2 CB, 1 S, 2 (DE/LB/CB/S)

$1000 salary cap with contracts from 1-3 years with optional 4th year extension for 120% cost. We have a snake style 7 round rookie draft in June followed by an auction period for a couple months with every non-rookie player. I'm not sure if there is any other information ya'll might need, but if you do I'll be happy to post it. Anyway, on to my questions.

1 - Our draft order came out today, and I landed the 1.1 pick. Considering that RB's are slightly favored points wise, my gut instinct has me going Richardson. That being said, I know everyone else in our league would love to have Richardson as well. If you were me, would you keep the pick or move it for a later 1st rounder and possibly a combination of 2nd-4th rounders?

2 - I want Foster, and I want him bad. The problem is I'm in a league with a bunch of fellow Texans fans who also want him, and I can almost guarantee Arian going for $100 in a $1000 salary cap league. The other handful of stud RB's in Forte, McCoy, Rice, and MJD probably won't be far behind price wise. Should I ignore my urges and use my money on a stud QB and WR's and hope to strike gold with cheaper options later in FA?

3 - What is your general strategy for salary cap leagues with both rookie drafts and FA periods?

4 - I've never been in a league with IDP's. What should I look for in my defensive starters.

Thanks for any help you can give :)

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Looking for tips for a new start up league

Postby meineymoe » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:52 pm

Sixteen team, start 2 RBs - definitely take Richardson at 1.01. And I have a feeling Foster will go for much more than the $100 you project because of the $1000 cap and the value of stud RBs.

I wouldn't mind overpaying for Foster, take Richardson, then fill out the rest of the team more cheaply. You will need a decent QB as well with a sixteen team league, so your WRs might suffer at first, but take older, cheaper players to start with, and in future drafts/trades you can replace them with young up and comers. Also, with the 3 year contract lengths, you don't need to be thinking as long term out the gate here.

As for IDPs - Middle LBs and Safeties generally score higher and more consistently across many different scoring systems. As for bidding on them, I would go cheap here - new players emerge all the time, especially dbacks who are a dime a dozen throughout the season on the waiver wire.

good luck and have fun! -oo-