Will Winston's departure effect Foster?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Rustyram78
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Will Winston's departure effect Foster?

Postby Rustyram78 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:18 pm

I have been hearing about the terrible loss of Eric Winston and that it could impact the Texan's run game. But I also read that Winston was the weakest link on that O-line and was expendable. Which is it? I was intrigued to think that it's possible that 1 single change on the O-line could effect Foster? Does this move do anything to FOster's value? Or is he such a beast, it won't matter?

WZA
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Will Winston's departure effect Foster?

Postby WZA » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:20 pm

I think Foster will be just fine. I'm sure the Texans have a more than suitable replacement for Winston.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:21 pm

I think its a tough question to answer. I heard Winston was very good at the zone run blocking that their offense is based on. I think it'll be hard to say what kind of an effect it has on Foster till they name his replacement. My guess is the effect will be minimal. Foster is a beast and I doubt the loss of one good zone blocker will decrease his performance too much.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Rustyram78
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Rustyram78 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:24 pm

That's what I was thinking, I can't see it hurting him that much. But I guess time will tell. It was just a very interesting thought....

Mangelo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mangelo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:26 pm

They're on the verge of losing their center too and he was a rockstar this year. Not good

ekassor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ekassor » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Vontae Leach was supposed to be the reason last go round. Foster is fine.

lukeb
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby lukeb » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:43 pm

I've read that Winston is the best right guard in the game. With that said, it doesn't really affect Foster, as it's more about the scheme.
DLF Writer and Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter at dynastyluke

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:37 pm

lbouchard wrote:I've read that Winston is the best right guard in the game. With that said, it doesn't really affect Foster, as it's more about the scheme.
That's interesting, since he's a RT. ;)

TheJmoney
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby TheJmoney » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:39 pm

Mangelo wrote:They're on the verge of losing their center too and he was a rockstar this year. Not good
They plugged that hole up yesterday.

Pretty sure Foster will be just fine. I am curious to know who'll be slotted in there though.
Non PPR 10 man Dynasty League. 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DEF
25 Man Roster
QB - Roethlisberger, P. Manning, Tannehill
RB - Foster, CJ2K, Matthews, Gore, F-Jax, Miller, Hunter, Powell, J-Stew
WR - Welker, Cruz, V-Jax, Brown, Roberts, Randle, White, DHB, Burleson
TE - Graham, Green,
K - Bryant
DEF - Texans, Saints

EdgeFx
Starter
Starter

Postby EdgeFx » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:40 pm

I think it definitely hurts his production, same with him getting a real contract, when his hamstring hurts or some other injury, he won't be so eager to get back out there because a contract isn't going to be something he's going for.

All in all, next season I feel will not be the same or more productive than any of his previous seasons because of those two factors. Eric Winston and contract signing. Still a valuable player to have on your team though of coarse. :D

Barian Fostate
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Barian Fostate » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Winston was an excellent run blocker but has declined to well below average in pass protection over the last two seasons. Against speed rushing DE's he was virtually useless, and Houston had to use Dreesen as a chipper more often than not just to buy time for pass plays. In addition, Rashad Butler is a very capable backup and was quite serviceable as a LT when Duane Brown, a consensus top 3 LT, was injured. If he can play LT, he can sure as hell play RT. His run blocking is not quite as elite as Winston, but the design of the scheme makes up for it. Either way, Winston's departure will have little to no effect on Foster or Tate.

That being said, the loss of Brisiel, the RG, to the Raiders might be trouble. While not an elite guard, Brisiel was very good in the scheme in both pass protection and run blocking. His cut blocks were textbook and sprang many a hole for the Houston run game in the last couple years. His replacement, Antoine Caldwell, is a revolving door. Front 4's with any sort of DT talent will be a serious threat to interior penetration and unless Caldwell is magically not terrible or Houston gets a new RG, be prepared for a spike in tackles for loss when Antoine gets beat, and he WILL get beat.