Your feelings on accumulating/trading draft picks

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
aggs
Role Player
Role Player

Your feelings on accumulating/trading draft picks

Postby aggs » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:48 am

Just wanted to hear everyone's opinions on trading future draft picks in dynasty.

Do you hoard picks? Trade them away for legit starters? A little bit of both? Do you find a happy medium?

Do you feel it's time to trade them if you're a contender, collect them if not?

I personally love the rookie draft and hate trading them away (have only done so once but haven't played dynasty that long), but you have to eliminate feelings of what's fun if it means you're always rebuilding or missing out on legit starters because you tend to overvalue draft picks.

Thanks.

andrewfroboy
Captain
Captain

Re: Your feelings on accumulating/trading draft picks

Postby andrewfroboy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:15 am

I try to trade guys over 28 that I will never start to accumulate picks and then try to trade up in the draft with multiple picks and similar players
10 Team PPR, 6 point QB TD pass, Starts 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1K, 1D/ST
QB: Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Josh Freeman, Carson Palmer
RB: Jamaal Charles, Maurice Jones-Drew, Chris Johnson, Jahvid Best, Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, Taiwan Jones
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Greg Little, Marques Colston, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Brown, Leonard Hankerson, Damian Williams, Pierre Garçon
TE: Jimmy Graham, Jermichael Finley, Aaron Hernandez
K: Mason Crosby
D/ST: Lions
2012: 3 3 4

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:39 am

I have used both strategies.

For a strong team I prefer to constantly be turning over my picks for players to constantly be reloading with guys who have 2-3 good years of production left. Owners sell them cheaply and hoard young players/picks so you can sell them upside/picks for production to continue to win.

For a weaker team I prefer the opposite strategy to be thinking a year or maybe two out. At the same time I want those players to have the potential to produce now so I don't like to be too "pick heavy".
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:27 pm

I find that i almost always get more value by trading a pick than using it. Out of my 4 dynasty leagues i have one 2012 1st and one 2013 1st. All of my teams are contenders tho and should be for the forseeable future. I wouldn't be trading 2 years into the future if i thought my team couldn't win. If you have a bad team then your pick goes up in value the closer you get to your rookie draft. A crappy team's pick could literally double in value from the current preseason to 2 weeks before your rookie draft. Even if teams thought that pick would be the 1 overall and i became the 1 overall. Those picks sky rocket in value leading up to your draft.

aggs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby aggs » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:26 pm

Unfortunately in my league - which is also MarkinMI's league - a first-time dynasty guy traded his 25th round pick and 2012 1st for Tandon Doss and a 2012 2nd rounder during our startup. I think it happened the night of Balitmores preseason game and Doss had a few catches.

After week one the the guy who traded away his 2012 1st quit the league, and now he's 0-4 and his team is the worst and contender for 1st overall pick. The new owner has to rebuild without a first round pick while the contender gets a likely No. 1 overall pick.

The guy who quit had no idea what he was doing as he relayed the story to me. It just sucks how this stuff happens sometimes.

Totally unrelated to my original post, but it's on my mind.

FantasyBandit
Role Player
Role Player

Postby FantasyBandit » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:50 am

In my 4 dynasties last year I grabbed as many 1sts as I could. I had 3 in two leagues, 4 in another, and 5 in another.

I then packaged a few of them up for top tier players and boy is it paying off this year. I now have two teams at 4-1 and two teams at 5-0.

Types of trades I made were:
2 1sts for W. Welker.
3 1sts and Sproles for L. Fitzgerald.
1 1st and T. Romo for D. Brees, 2 more in same league for R. Mathews and M. Tolbert.
1 1st and D. Bowe for R. White

Then I kept a 1st or two in each league and used it on either AJ Green or Mark Ingram across my leagues.

I have been doing picks turnover like this for a couple years now and it works great. People want to unload their picks early season so I acquire them in rebuilding years like last year. Then near the draft I unload them for great value!

SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Postby SpaderDude » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:20 pm

I think there needs to be a balance. This site has been great to me personally with everyone's extensive knowledge of college players (at least, so far for the ones I've chosen to go after, so thanks).

I sold a 2012 1st and 2nd + Leshoure and G. Little this year for AJ Green. So, I went all in for him giving up high draft choices, and could not be happier.

Two years ago, I sold Steven Jackson in order to draft Dez Bryant. So, I've sold draft choices and proven guys to obtain college players that I believe in.

I tend to overpay, which could end up being dangerous, especially if one of these player ends up busting.
Team1

10 Team Dynasty, Roster-30, (must contain 2K & 2Def.) Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

Stafford, Eli, Rivers
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Stewart, Mark Ingram, J. Bell, Christine Michael, Mike James, Tolbert
Calvin, AJG, Julio, Antonio Brown, Gordon, Da'Rick, Streater
Tony G, Finley, Housler, L. Green, Gresham

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

12 team, 30-man rosters, 1ppr. Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

Brees, Big Ben
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Ingram, Stewart, C. Michael, Franklin, D. Brown, Helu, B. Rainey, CJ Anderson, Tolbert
Calvin, Nicks, Gordon, Stills, Toon, M. Wilson, Drew Davis, Da'Rick
Gronk, Daniels, G. Graham, Celek

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:39 pm

First round picks are typically way over valued... especially ones that aren't even the next draft in your league. If I'm a contending team, I like to trade my future firsts.

As I do in some of my leagues... bragg'n rights bet: everyone needs to find an arch rival in your leagues. You swap firsts with the person as soon as the picks are tradable (depending on how far in the future your league allows). That way you get to out play/coach that guy and still get a better pick then your own in return. Feel free to make a super team that contends each year and still get a top 5 pick each year... that's how everyone should handle draft picks. Good team, high draft pick, and able to trade for those older discount vets to win now... because some other sucker is making sure you have a pretty good first round pick each year :angel:

aggs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby aggs » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:05 pm

On Friday I turned down a text offer (not official) of 2 2012 1sts (one would be 1.12), a 2012 2nd, Jacquizz Rodgers and Kevin Boss for Stevan Ridley and Jermaine Gresham. In our league it's 1.5 ppr for tight ends but I have FInley and Hernandez. However, it's still nice to have that third TE because injuries, byes and I flex my TE almost weekly. However, after yesterday's performance that owner wouldn't even consider offering that again because Ridley's not worth it to him because he didn't rush for 300 yards.

Sort of regret it because it would have given me 3 picks in the first and ammo to trade up for a stud.

I suck at trading.

lic217
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lic217 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:27 am

aggs wrote:Unfortunately in my league - which is also MarkinMI's league - a first-time dynasty guy traded his 25th round pick and 2012 1st for Tandon Doss and a 2012 2nd rounder during our startup. I think it happened the night of Balitmores preseason game and Doss had a few catches.

After week one the the guy who traded away his 2012 1st quit the league, and now he's 0-4 and his team is the worst and contender for 1st overall pick. The new owner has to rebuild without a first round pick while the contender gets a likely No. 1 overall pick.

The guy who quit had no idea what he was doing as he relayed the story to me. It just sucks how this stuff happens sometimes.

Totally unrelated to my original post, but it's on my mind.
Yeah that does suck. It sucks when people make bad deals that screw up the league. However, I can live with that. Quitting though is an entirely different story.