The Manning-less Colts and their season

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

The Manning-less Colts and their season

Postby Lumps » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:59 pm

Their defense stepped up quite nicely yesterday and I have to admit I'm quite surprised the game was close at all.

It dawned on me today, though. We all understand how valuable Manning is to the Colts at this point. What if this team goes 0-16? 1-15? What if they get the #1 Pick? Luck just steps into the best situation possible. Even better if Manning comes back next year and Luck gets to learn from him.

So aside from that discussion... would you take Luck #1 in Dynasty if that is how it plays out?

SpeedKills4914
Role Player
Role Player

Re: The Manning-less Colts and their season

Postby SpeedKills4914 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:42 pm

It largely depends on my team. If I'm RB-needy, then I go with Richardson -- but if my QB core is in need of help, then my choice just got a lot harder. I'd seriously consider taking him #1 if that happened -- all the pieces are in place, with good receiving vets/weapons, and a good coaching staff to help him along his way.
16 Tm, $90 cap (Keep 12)
QB(1): RGIII-5.5
RB(1): A.Ellington-1.75, D.Wilson-5
WR(2): H.Nicks-5.5, M.Crabtree-4.09, J.Gordon-3.1
TE(1): G.Olsen-2.91, J.Reed-2.3
K(1):
LB(3): D.Johnson-3.75
DL(3):C.Johnson-1.25, R.Quinn-2.74
DB(4): T.J.Ward-4.21
HC(1):
2D 2O FLEX

MilwaukeesBest
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby MilwaukeesBest » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:32 pm

I'd rather draft an elite RB/WR prospect and trade for an established QB if my team needed one.
Team 1: 10 Team, 4 Keeper League, Non-PPR
QB: Deshaun Watson
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette, Kareem Hunt
WR: Julio Jones, Dez Bryant
TE: Rob Gronkowski

SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Postby SpaderDude » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:21 pm

http://www.dynastyleaguefootball.com/dl ... 0&start=15

Brought this same topic up about three weeks ago. I thought then and now that it could happen. Can't see the Colts playing to that level again all season. There are a few REALLY bad teams that could compete with the Colts for #1 overall. We'll see. One of the few times I can say I really saw this coming. Manning made an average team in steady decline appear way better than they were. Defense mostly played with big leads. They are undersized and built to play that way.

As for FF with Luck, it's always hard to take a QB high, but if you ever are going to, next year is the time. Personally, I'd probably not take him higher than sixth...
Team1

10 Team Dynasty, Roster-30, (must contain 2K & 2Def.) Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

Stafford, Eli, Rivers
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Stewart, Mark Ingram, J. Bell, Christine Michael, Mike James, Tolbert
Calvin, AJG, Julio, Antonio Brown, Gordon, Da'Rick, Streater
Tony G, Finley, Housler, L. Green, Gresham

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

12 team, 30-man rosters, 1ppr. Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

Brees, Big Ben
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Ingram, Stewart, C. Michael, Franklin, D. Brown, Helu, B. Rainey, CJ Anderson, Tolbert
Calvin, Nicks, Gordon, Stills, Toon, M. Wilson, Drew Davis, Da'Rick
Gronk, Daniels, G. Graham, Celek

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:22 am

Lumps wrote:Their defense stepped up quite nicely yesterday and I have to admit I'm quite surprised the game was close at all.

It dawned on me today, though. We all understand how valuable Manning is to the Colts at this point. What if this team goes 0-16? 1-15? What if they get the #1 Pick? Luck just steps into the best situation possible. Even better if Manning comes back next year and Luck gets to learn from him.

So aside from that discussion... would you take Luck #1 in Dynasty if that is how it plays out?
The more I think about the concept of taking Luck with the 1.01 rookie pick, the more I don't like it. And I mean this in all situations not just the one you suggest. In most 10 and 12 team leagues someone has an extra QB, it just seems to happen a lot of times. If I felt I could afford to use the 1.01 on a QB, I'd trade with that team. Give me a guy like Romo, Stafford, Schaub, Big Ben over a rookie QB. And I'm not even sure you'd need to do that deal straight up. My point is that generally speaking I think there are better ways to get a QB than risking using the 1.01. Maybe Luck is the corner case example where my logic is wrong, but time will tell. I like Luck and I'd love to own him. But I won't take him until my top tier of prospects is gone (whatever that tier ends up looking like in May). For example, all things being equal (and with Luck slotted to start for CAR) I would have taken him with the 1.04 this year and been happy about it.

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:30 am

This all depends on how the college player rankings and we have to see where the other 3-4 'bad' teams wind up...I don't think the Colts would draft Luck if they believe Manning IS coming back and plans on playing 2-3 more years! They have many holes, Defense? Every position needs an upgrade other than DE...OL? they drafted a few to retool but you can never have enough and of course, WR...I think they need a WR to be the heir apparent to Reggie Wayne! I doubt that RB is an option since they just signed Addai and have DCarter as his backup! Besides, Indy doesn't use RB's the same as most teams
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

DyeNasty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DyeNasty » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:36 am

melish1631 wrote:This all depends on how the college player rankings and we have to see where the other 3-4 'bad' teams wind up...I don't think the Colts would draft Luck if they believe Manning IS coming back and plans on playing 2-3 more years! They have many holes, Defense? Every position needs an upgrade other than DE...OL? they drafted a few to retool but you can never have enough and of course, WR...I think they need a WR to be the heir apparent to Reggie Wayne! I doubt that RB is an option since they just signed Addai and have DCarter as his backup! Besides, Indy doesn't use RB's the same as most teams
So someone else around here does think with a lil logic... Amazing!

SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Postby SpaderDude » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:08 am

They do have more than a few holes to fill, but if there is any doubt about Manning's future, they would have to consider it. It's not like he is going to play for many more years anyway.

Even if he is cleared with a perfect bill of health, you never know how it will respond to a few hits.

If Luck is viewed by most as the best QB prospect in years, why wouldn't you take him, even if it's to groom him. QB is the most important position on the field and can make up for many deficiencies. The Colts should be the very 1st team to understand that.
Team1

10 Team Dynasty, Roster-30, (must contain 2K & 2Def.) Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

Stafford, Eli, Rivers
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Stewart, Mark Ingram, J. Bell, Christine Michael, Mike James, Tolbert
Calvin, AJG, Julio, Antonio Brown, Gordon, Da'Rick, Streater
Tony G, Finley, Housler, L. Green, Gresham

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

12 team, 30-man rosters, 1ppr. Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

Brees, Big Ben
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Ingram, Stewart, C. Michael, Franklin, D. Brown, Helu, B. Rainey, CJ Anderson, Tolbert
Calvin, Nicks, Gordon, Stills, Toon, M. Wilson, Drew Davis, Da'Rick
Gronk, Daniels, G. Graham, Celek

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:52 am

If the Colts finish with the worst record I think they should take Luck. I realize they have a lot of needs, but that can be addressed later in the draft and free agency. The entire Colts team is built around the QB, so it would be easier to move forward with arguably the most talented QB in a long time and continue with their current scheme than to try and change the majority of their team to fit a new style of play. I understand that Manning will probably play another 2-3 seasons but if you draft a QB like Luck and have him learn behind an all time great like Manning the sky would be the limit for this kid. Just my .02... :D

DyeNasty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DyeNasty » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:45 am

this kid isn't a guy you draft to sit and "groom" though. With the praise and talent he has he is viewed as a savior to some team. He should be a come in and start from day one guy. Manning has at least 5 years in him based on contract and age. Even if its only 2-3 years its a waste of luck. There's only like 3 scenarios where it makes sense.
1. Doctors deem manning's career over.
2. Manning has told the front office he is done after next season. Which would be one year of luck sitting.
3. Polian will pull the biggest dick move in football by cutting or trading manning after he shows luck the ropes.

For his sake I hope its not the colts because the expectations will give him no margin of error. If he doesn't step in for manning and continue to produce 10+ win seasons right away he basically will be looked at as a failure.