Ownership biases

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Ownership biases

Postby bigcsr67 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:27 pm

I have been thinking about this for awhile, but seems that when you own a guy on your team, you tend to value the guy a little more than he is really worth. This goes for studs and duds. I am guilty of ownership bias, and it is hard for me to really get a grip on players true value at times. I know when it comes down to making a deal, you want to get as much back as possible, but sometimes we all go a little too far based on our perceived value of guys on our teams. This is typical human nature I suppose, but what is funny about it, is when you finally do trade a guy, you immediately take his value down a notch because he is no longer on your squad. For me, I think I value Roddy White higher than most, but I am pretty sure most Roddy owners are guilty of the same thing, while non Roddy owners will value differently. Do you guys experience this feeling as well? Do you agree or disagree that perceived value has a lot to do with whether or not you own a guy? What are your thoughts, I would love to hear some responses?

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Ownership biases

Postby seahawks506 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:40 pm

I tend to be very impartial with my players. I'll get attached to a few that I'm very high on, but beyond that I don't let personal biases towards my players get in the way. I think breakout players are the hardest to stay un-biased,
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:45 pm

Im not biased about it in my mind. For example in my keeper league team I have Nicks and Wallace and I would love to trade wallace in a deal for Calvin, for example, because I know he is better. But when I am try and trade with another team I would talk about wallace like he is the next Jerry Rice. Its more about the perception I give people about a player than how I actually feel about them...if that makes sense.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – πŸ†
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – πŸ₯ˆ

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – πŸ†
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – πŸ₯ˆ

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

gunslinger
Captain
Captain

Postby gunslinger » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:47 pm

I think it is more about fair market value. I pay attention to all of the different site rankings, and then I have my personal rankings. Based off that, I want fair compensation. If I have a stud you want, you are going to have to pay the same price that I have to pay for studs, and the same goes for duds.

If an owner doesn't want to pay the price, I will keep them, or look elsewhere.

bigblue204
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby bigblue204 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:04 pm

I tend to value most of my players higher than other owners, but I think thats why I own them. I targeted these players in the draft or in a trade. I think this makes sense for most owners.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:14 am

bigblue204 wrote:I tend to value most of my players higher than other owners, but I think thats why I own them. I targeted these players in the draft or in a trade. I think this makes sense for most owners.
I think this is spot on. If you went and got the players, you did so with a purpose.

A common situation where I suppose I value my players "more than others", is when they are down. Two guys come to mind this off-season for very different reasons (Gore and Britt). If you follow the posts on the board, you'll see that people are moving them but getting relatively little in return (IMHO). I own Britt in one league and Gore in another and I'm holding both. Does that mean I value them differently than other people because I own them, I guess so. But to me, it just means I don't want to give up meaningful fantasy value at a time when the players are at historic lows in value.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:21 am

tstafford wrote:
bigblue204 wrote:I tend to value most of my players higher than other owners, but I think thats why I own them. I targeted these players in the draft or in a trade. I think this makes sense for most owners.
I think this is spot on. If you went and got the players, you did so with a purpose.

A common situation where I suppose I value my players "more than others", is when they are down. Two guys come to mind this off-season for very different reasons (Gore and Britt). If you follow the posts on the board, you'll see that people are moving them but getting relatively little in return (IMHO). I own Britt in one league and Gore in another and I'm holding both. Does that mean I value them differently than other people because I own them, I guess so. But to me, it just means I don't want to give up meaningful fantasy value at a time when the players are at historic lows in value.
This is very true. If you target a player you will usually value them higher than their market value. I also value the "lows" more. It is all about buying high and selling low!! Personally I only value certain players too highly (probably about 20% of any given roster) but I always keep an open mind and keep tabs on perceived value in the FF community.

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:19 am

tstafford wrote:

Good points here. I too value guys more when they are down, but in part due to the fact that I originally got those down players when their value was high in all owners eyes, and don't want to give up on them too early. I have difficulty being patient with young guys sometimes, but I am getting better with that the more years I play this great game.

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:45 am

hosler427 wrote:
tstafford wrote:

This is very true. If you target a player you will usually value them higher than their market value. I also value the "lows" more. It is all about buying high and selling low!! Personally I only value certain players too highly (probably about 20% of any given roster) but I always keep an open mind and keep tabs on perceived value in the FF community.
Well said...I am sort of guilty of this
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

DynastyKing
Captain
Captain

Postby DynastyKing » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:10 am

hosler427 wrote:
tstafford wrote:

This is very true. If you target a player you will usually value them higher than their market value. I also value the "lows" more.
It is all about buying high and selling low!! Personally I only value certain players too highly (probably about 20% of any given roster) but I always keep an open mind and keep tabs on perceived value in the FF community.
I think you mean buy low, sell high right? :lol:
12 Team|Non-PPR|16 man rosters|9 Keepers|$250 cap|QB, 2-4 RB, 2-4 WR, 1-2 TE
Salaries increase 20%/year in perpetuity

QB: A. Luck $22, RGIII $1
RB: T. Richardson $46, M. Ingram $21, A. Blue $1
WR: AJ Green $15, J. Jones $6, J. Maclin $9, Mi. Floyd $14, TY Hilton $3
TE: J. Reed $2

Rookies: C. Hyde $2, J. Hill $4, T. Mason $4, I. Crowell $1

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Fantasy does have a fair amount of ego attached to it. I know that if I own a player, it's because I specifically believe in their talent. So of course being higher on them than conventional wisdom would suggest goes with that territory. I don't think it's "ownership bias". I think it's the other way around. I own most players because I'm high on them...I'm not high on them because I own them. If that makes sense. Its just differences in talent evaluation, really.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:52 pm

DynastyKing wrote:
hosler427 wrote:
tstafford wrote: I think this is spot on. If you went and got the players, you did so with a purpose.

This is very true. If you target a player you will usually value them higher than their market value. I also value the "lows" more.
It is all about buying high and selling low!! Personally I only value certain players too highly (probably about 20% of any given roster) but I always keep an open mind and keep tabs on perceived value in the FF community.
I think you mean buy low, sell high right? :lol:
LOL...nice catch.

andy77725
Role Player
Role Player

Postby andy77725 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:11 pm

ConnSKINS26 wrote:Fantasy does have a fair amount of ego attached to it. I know that if I own a player, it's because I specifically believe in their talent. So of course being higher on them than conventional wisdom would suggest goes with that territory. I don't think it's "ownership bias". I think it's the other way around. I own most players because I'm high on them...I'm not high on them because I own them. If that makes sense. Its just differences in talent evaluation, really.
I agree with this. I think that where the ownership bias tends to come into play for me is with the guys who have yet to reach their potential. I tend to view my prospects at a value nearer where I perceive their ceiling to be. For example: I own Jordy Nelson, and I value him as if he were the WR2 in Green Bay. Will he solidify that position this year or ever? I don't know, but that is how I value him right now.
Team 1
12 teams 26 man roster. Start: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DEF
Scoring: NonPPR, 4pt/pass TD
QB: Rodgers, Tua
RB: Cook, Conner, Swift, Dillon, Gaskin
WR: Adams, Evans, Kupp, Claypool, Edwards, Osborn, Toney, Samuel, Eskridge, Dotson
TE: Higbee, Njoku, Irv Smith

ekassor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ekassor » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:45 pm

bigcsr67 wrote:
tstafford wrote:

Good points here. I too value guys more when they are down, but in part due to the fact that I originally got those down players when their value was high in all owners eyes, and don't want to give up on them too early. I have difficulty being patient with young guys sometimes, but I am getting better with that the more years I play this great game.
I don't mind a bit when I;m much higher on a player than consensus. The bold is the thing I try to avoid. Tons of noise. Does he have talent and opportunity?

Richman
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Richman » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:23 pm

ConnSKINS26 wrote:Fantasy does have a fair amount of ego attached to it. I know that if I own a player, it's because I specifically believe in their talent. So of course being higher on them than conventional wisdom would suggest goes with that territory. I don't think it's "ownership bias". I think it's the other way around. I own most players because I'm high on them...I'm not high on them because I own them. If that makes sense. Its just differences in talent evaluation, really.
I agree with this. There are reasons why I target certain players and nothing is better than when it pays off.
gangsta blue *League Champ*(1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1K,1D) 12 Team/20 Player
QB:A Rodgers
WR:Fitz,Nicks,Maclin,Garcon,D.Rodgers
RB:Rice,McCoy,R Mathews,Stacy,Michaels,Hunter,J.Bell,K.Davis,Leshoure,M.James,L.Murray
TE:Cameron,Ertz,A.Robinson

Blue Droogie(1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1D) 16 Team/20 Player
QB:P Manning,Luck,Mallett
WR:Nicks,D Thomas,Garcon,Thompkins
RB:Rice,Forte,Mathews,Vereen,Helu,K.Davis,L.Murray
TE:Cameron,Rudolph,A.Robinson