Patriots backfield breakdown

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Patriots backfield breakdown

Postby Risky bidness » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:37 pm

http://news.wbru.com/2011/06/projecting ... backfield/

A lot of questions surrounding the Pats backfield. This article attempts to break down who could get what this year.

There is a comparison of Shane Vereen to Thurman Thomas. I like it! :thumbup:

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Patriots backfield breakdown

Postby Shawn » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:19 pm

Lots of interesting questions here, I wonder if Belichick has become like Shanahan in the way he handles his RBs, and it is also interesting to see how they really seemed to miss on Maroney a few years back, its unlike the Pats to miss like that on a 1st round draft pick. Vereen reminds me a bit of Maroney (I mean that in a good way as in before Maroney became a bust) :thumbup:
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:44 pm

hot nikkels wrote:http://news.wbru.com/2011/06/projecting ... backfield/

A lot of questions surrounding the Pats backfield. This article attempts to break down who could get what this year.

There is a comparison of Shane Vereen to Thurman Thomas. I like it! :thumbup:
Actually the comparison was to ex-Ram Robert Holcombe... and Ridlay was compared to ex-Raven Jay Graham -- I love it when a writer evokes these earlier players!

-oo-

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:15 pm

WBRU again? :lol: only kidding of course

I've invested heavily in Ridley as a nice late-round rookie pick with a chance to get a good look with NE. Writer seems to be pretty optimistic about Vereen
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

Jimi Hendrix
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jimi Hendrix » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:56 pm

seahawks506 wrote:WBRU again? :lol: only kidding of course

I've invested heavily in Ridley as a nice late-round rookie pick with a chance to get a good look with NE. Writer seems to be pretty optimistic about Vereen

I like Ridley also....I see him as a better long term version of BJGE and Vereen more of a Kevin Faulk type rb
DLF Charter- Carolina Crosstown Traffic
DLF Charter II- Carolina Cozmik Vibes
DLF IDP Invitational--Stone Free
DLF IDP Invitational II--Lazy Lightnin (15 Champions)
DLF United -- Carolina Experience (17 Champs)
Lead Dog--Bad Company
FAAFFL--Purple Haze (99,08 Champions)
RnRFFL--Crosstown Traffic (2000, 02, 04, 10, 17, 18,19 Champions)
Gridiron Elite Dynasty League--Appalachian Mountaineers

MikeCross
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby MikeCross » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:24 pm

You are the only person in the world who is high on Riddley; over Vereen. Everyone is "pretty optimistic" about Vereen. Just strikes me as weird, Riddley's college tape shows a one dementional plodder with absolutely no agility or speed. Hes a goal line back / special teamer at best. IMHO :eh:
"Ize jus bein rebellion... inda scrip cluh"
Adam "PacMan" Jones

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:41 pm

MikeCross wrote:

You are the only person in the world who is high on Riddley; over Vereen. Everyone is "pretty optimistic" about Vereen. Just strikes me as weird, Riddley's college tape shows a one dementional plodder with absolutely no agility or speed. Hes a goal line back / special teamer at best. IMHO :eh:
Whoever said I liked him better than Vereen? I just think that where he's going provides good value for taking a flyer on him. You'll find guys taking players drafted to be career backups like Dion Lewis and I'd rather take a shot and see how this backfield plays out. Ridley is simply a power back with good vision that hits the hole hard and takes defenders for a ride.

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:47 am

Good article...still staying clear of this backfield until some things shake out....
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

tosnsprx
Captain
Captain

Postby tosnsprx » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:56 am

MikeCross wrote:

I agree here. I wouldn't waste a late round pick on Ridley, he's just not talented enough to stay on the field outside short yardage situations. And thats just not enough carries for fantasy relivance. Vereen will be the best back on this team. The Pats seem to love this guy, Essentially they traded away Ingram, passed on Leshoure, passed on Williams and reached on Vereen a bit. So to me that tells me that they have some high hopes for this guy and they will give him every opratunity that he deserves. But he will have to earn the spot from BGE. This spot won't be handed to him by any means.
12 team non-ppr standard scoring(1qb,2rbs,2wrs,2rb/wrs,1te,1k,1D) 25 man roster
QB- WATSON, prescott,
RBs- ALVIN KAMARA, DAVID MONTGOMERY, K JOHNSON, rashaad penny, ronald jones, bo scott, p barber, darrell williams
WRs- JUJU, CHRIS GODWIN, christian kirk, courtland sutton, keke coutee, zach pascal
TEs- GEORGE KITTLE, ian thomas, mike gesicki, jace sternberger, dawson knox
K- d bailey
DST- STEELERS, chargers

2020 picks: 3RD,4TH

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:51 pm

Ridley was the most productive back in NE last week- 7 rushes 44 yds, 1 catch 8 yards and looked decent in pass protection in 11 snaps. His role is growing by the week and there is talk of him cutting into BJGE's playing time- he played half of the drive where Welker had the 4th down TD.I maintain my opinion that Ridley was a great value pick near the back of rookie drafts, and it remains to be seen how they use Vereen but Ridley is turning heads.

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:43 pm

Take a look at this article:
http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/x166 ... go-to-back

"Stevan Ridley likely won't find his name printed at the top of the Patriots' depth chart just yet.

But Bill Belichick and the rest of the New England coaching staff made a powerful statement in the final quarter yesterday..

With the game on the line, rookie Ridley was the running back the Patriots placed their trust in.

"The coaches wouldn't have put him in the game if they didn't trust him," said receiver Deion Branch. "The coaches trust him and we trust him. He did everything he could."

When the pressure was on, and the Patriots needing production from the rushing game, it wasn't 1,000-yard rusher BenJarvus Green-Ellis, 2010 golden boy Danny Woodhead or Mr. Steady Kevin Faulk who was counted on to carry the load.

Instead, it was Ridley that became the clock-killer in the surprisingly-tough 27-24 victory..."

I know you guys don't need my saying this, but the Vereen vs. Ridley debate is a lot closer than you'd like to admit and arguably tipped in Ridley's favor at this point. In the 4th quarter of a one score game with their playoff seed partially at risk, they don't go to BJGE, Woodhead, or Faulk... they go with the rookie. The rookie who is the only RB with a rush over 20 yards (he has 3 of them).

Rotoworld:
Stevan Ridley assumed the feature back role against the Dolphins in Week 16, rushing 13 times for 64 yards.BenJarvus Green-Ellis was not known to be injured. But in the second half, Ridley was the clear feature back, even getting all the red-zone and goal-line work. It's the right move as the rookie is clearly the more talented player. It looks like the Patriots are prepping Ridley for a major role in the playoffs. He's an asset in Dynasty formats. Dec 24 - 7:03 PM

With that said, this backfield is a mess- BJGE has faded miserably down the stretch, and a changing of the guard may be in place.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:47 pm

If Vereen were healthy, this would not really be a discussion as he would have been the featured RB ahead of Ridley.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Mangelo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mangelo » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:05 pm

This is 1 week of 15. Let's see how the playoffs shake out

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:06 pm

skip wrote:If Vereen were healthy, this would not really be a discussion as he would have been the featured RB ahead of Ridley.
Yes, but that is speculation and this is reality. Vereen did not stay healthy and Ridley took the opportunity and ran with it. Looking to the future, the probable outcome is split carries, but for the time being, this has become Ridley's time to shine. You think the Patriots care they drafted Vereen earlier, or that he was scouted to have more talent?
Mangelo wrote:This is 1 week of 15. Let's see how the playoffs shake out
I definitely look forward to how the RB's are used in the playoffs. It will be telling of how they really view their backfield, and particularly alarming if BJGE continues to be uninvolved.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:26 pm

seahawks506 wrote:
skip wrote:If Vereen were healthy, this would not really be a discussion as he would have been the featured RB ahead of Ridley.
Yes, but that is speculation and this is reality. Vereen did not stay healthy and Ridley took the opportunity and ran with it. Looking to the future, the probable outcome is split carries, but for the time being, this has become Ridley's time to shine. You think the Patriots care they drafted Vereen earlier, or that he was scouted to have more talent?
I don't recall saying anything about who was drafted where? Ridley has been ok, but not impressive enough to be considered the current/future starter. He doesn't do anything for the passing game at all which is a negative in a Belicheck system. Vereen is a 3-down talent who is going to get the opportunity based on that alone.

Speculation? Sure. But I am confident he is the safer bet between the two.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.