Every opinion I disagree with is Groupthink

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Every opinion I disagree with is Groupthink

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:24 pm

Can we let this term die? It’s been thrown around here more and more frequently, to the point that it’s lost all meaning. The idea of groupthink is that the desire to conform to one belief is so strong that individuals eschew rational thought. Whenever I see somebody being accused of this, there’s rarely any evidence that it’s actually happening, and rather this is just an ad hominem attack to put down an idea that the person disagrees with.

Think Josh Jacobs is overrated? Blame groupthink.
Think that concerns over Hollywood Brown’s size are overblown? Blame groupthink.

Time to let this term die.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: Every opinion I disagree with is Groupthink

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:39 am

It doesn't need to die, because it is a thing that happens... but it's also a thing often invoked by name in lieu of legitimate counter-point. So. Yeah. Don't do that, folks. If you allege groupthink, doing so had better be only as preface to an actual argument you're about to make. Otherwise, you're basically shitposting.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:35 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:54 pm I agree! And I hope and suspect everyone else will to!

:lol:
:lol:
A Group-think post about Group-think!

Nice..... Must be Draft Day!
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:54 am

now im ready for draft day!!!
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:06 am

I groupthink what Ross does.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:11 am

Definitely annoying when someone is trying to make an argument and the other side throws out the G word.

Mr. Wizard
Starter
Starter

Postby Mr. Wizard » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:20 am

This topic is groupthink
12 Team RealitySportsOnline League, Half-PPR, TEP, Half-PPFD

1QB, 2HB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX, 1SFX **Years under contract in parentheses. Two extensions and one franchise tag available per year.**

QB: Mahomes (2), Burrow (2), Young (3)
HB: Saquon (3), Gibbs (4), Henry (1), Hunt (1), Mattison (1)
WR: Chase (3), Tyreek (4), Kupp (3), Aiyuk (4), Pierce (2)
TE: Kelce (2), Njoku (1)
IR:
Future Picks: 24 2nd, 3rd, 4th: 25 4th: 26 2nd, 3rd, 4th
--
12 Team Dynasty League, Half-PPR
1QB, 2HB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLX, 1 SFX

QB: Hurts, Prescott, Geno,
HB: Bijan, Taylor, Conner, Gibson, B. Robinson, Herbert, Achane, Miller, Damien Harris,
WR: AJB, Allen, Jeudy, Nuk, Cooks, Davis, Claypool, Shakir
TE: Goedert, Knox, Dulcich, Otton
IR:
Future Picks: 1.06, 2.06, 3.05

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:08 am

Beware of the thought police. Group think is everywhere. Religons around the world completely depend upon it. It is called by other names when we apply it to different concepts though. Paradigms. As long as you are aware of them, you are ok. Just as - as long as you are aware that our site here has a lot of group think, monkey see / monkey do, it too is ok. Lets not try to police what people say or don't say too much huh? If you want to go off on a tangent and complain about group think - be my guest. If I feel like reading your rant, I will. If I don't feel like it, I'll just move along. Simple as that.

Peace all & happy draft day!!!! :dance:
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

FantasyDumDum
Role Player
Role Player

Postby FantasyDumDum » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:14 am

Agreed.
10 team, .5ppr, 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: CMC, D Williams, Drake, Guice, Penny, RoJo, Breida, I Smith, Edmonds
WR: AB, ARob, Ridley, Jeffery, Shepard, Pettis, Miller, Washington, MVS, Callaway
TE: Kelce, Herndon, Andrews

Taxi Squad:

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:24 am

JFever wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:08 am Beware of the thought police. Group think is everywhere. Religons around the world completely depend upon it. It is called by other names when we apply it to different concepts though. Paradigms. As long as you are aware of them, you are ok. Just as - as long as you are aware that our site here has a lot of group think, monkey see / monkey do, it too is ok. Lets not try to police what people say or don't say too much huh? If you want to go off on a tangent and complain about group think - be my guest. If I feel like reading your rant, I will. If I don't feel like it, I'll just move along. Simple as that.

Peace all & happy draft day!!!! :dance:
No, this site does not have a lot of groupthink. This site has a lot of differing opinions, which people call "groupthink" as an insult rather than actually addressing the content of the idea.

People here are, if anything, going out of their way to distinguish their ideas as different from everybody else's. If anything, we have a problem with contrarianism rather than groupthink.

This is the exact opposite of the conformity that religion depends upon- although your mention of religion is probably too spicy of a take for anywhere other than the off-topic forum.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:01 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:24 am ...If anything, we have a problem with contrarianism...
I 100% disagree with this notion...and most every other notion I read on these boards.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:02 pm

every opinion i disagree with is wrong. now bleep off!

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:03 pm

Getting a group together to abolish groupthink is ironically groupthink in itself.
What a conundrum.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:16 pm

Groupthink is huge and constant in fantasy football. Especially with "experts." None of us are immune to it. Why? We try to predict outcomes based on tons of fluctuacting factors and the people doing it for massive amounts of money (in the NFL) are very often wrong as well. So we reach consensus opinions often accepted by most of the group, sometimes it's easy based on established consistent player production, sometimes it is with so many saying someone is can't miss, sometimes it is based on a lack of production that the group abandons the prospect a player may pan out, or has to do with the leagues hot team of the moment, etc. Experts do it because there is safety in the group. If your rankings and opinions are in line with what everyone else was doing, your misses are understandable. This is why we could all pretty much regurgitate the redraft advice that is almost always based on weeks of production, 'well he had TDs the last three weeks and is against a horrible defense, he's a TE1 this week, must start.' Easy. Barkley is 1.1. We know.

This is why I like it when someone stakes a claim on something no one else is predicting and then has a rational argument why. But if we try to do that all the time, unless we are basically someone who should change their occupation to pro sports bettor (and win) then we will be wrong more often than not. Staying with the consensus is easy, we all do it to different extents. One reason it comes out in debates like an insult, I think, is in situations where someone is making some long passionate argument against the consensus and then someone just craps on their arguments with a short repetition of what the consensus opinion is already known to be, while at the same time not adding anything to the debate themselves. My two cents
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant