Dt to Patriots

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: Dt to Patriots

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:16 pm

First of all Peyton was still very elite in '14 up until two quadriceps injuries late in the season prevented him from driving with his base, which was how he extended his career when the nerve damage in his neck weakened his pure arm strength. Peyton was never the same after that quad tear and it forecasted his sharp descent in '15.

Second of all in '15, DT had Osweiler for half the year, and although Osweiler was average at best that year, he did have plenty of arm for deep shots. DT's inability to separate vertically was on full display that season. I can't tell you how many times I watched wasted targets at tightly single-covered covered DT on the boundary right before Osweiler targeted Sanders the same way and he had separation.

Third of all, and I forgot to even mention this before and really should have, DT played seven games with Deshaun Watson last year, and was replacement level (maybe worse). Before that, he had Keenum throwing him the ball, and although Keenum isn't anything special, Keenum was good enough to feed Thielen and Diggs the season before. I suppose DT truthers tell themselves Keenum held DT back, but the objective evidence better supports the notion an ineffective DT and an aging and hurting Sanders restricted what Keenum could achieve in Denver.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:49 pm

I can't believe this thread got to 4 pages.

I can't believe I read all 4 pages. (commute home from work)

If I had deep rosters and an empty spot I would stash him. I could see flex potential when he returns. Not saying it's likely, but possible.
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

PurpleHaze
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PurpleHaze » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:07 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:16 pm Third of all, and I forgot to even mention this before and really should have, DT played seven games with Deshaun Watson last year, and was replacement level (maybe worse).
He was brought in in the middle of the season with zero chemistry with Watson and zero time to learn the offense.

In NE he will be have all camp to learn McDaniels' system whom he's already played for and will have an elite QB.

If he's healthy he will be a nice fantasy asset. To me health is the question not ability. DT is a very good WR when healthy and he is not "old". His career is currently half as long as Jerry Rice's was.

xlur8ed
Role Player
Role Player

Postby xlur8ed » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:39 am

I'm just as guilty as the next guy, but I LOVE how we all find rose colored glasses for certain players.

DT isn't done. He has been done. No chemistry with Watson, but certainly will jump into the Patriots impossible to learn offense (players words, not mine) and earn the trust of Brady mid-season?

IF he makes it on the 53, and IF he makes it on the field, and IF he learns the 'hard to grasp' playbook while rehabbing, and IF he earns Brady's trust, and if he learns how to catch...could he have a 2 TD game? Sure. Could he follow it up with a donut the following week, absolutely. I hope everyone in my leagues burns a bench spot through the first few weeks rostering him. I'm good with eating crow in the 0.01% chance DT is a top 48 flex play.

PurpleHaze
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PurpleHaze » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 am

xlur8ed wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:39 am DT isn't done. He has been done. No chemistry with Watson, but certainly will jump into the Patriots impossible to learn offense (players words, not mine) and earn the trust of Brady mid-season?
Let's look at DT's PFF grades for his career:

Yes he was elite and peaked in 2012-2014 when Peyton Manning was lighting up the scoreboard in Denver. However, he has been "good" his entire career. His worst year was last year in a new system with a new QB midseason. Now let's compare this to future HOF WR Larry Fitzgerald who's been playing nearly twice as long:

Fitz's worst year was worse than DT has ever had in his prime years (2012). Fitz also put up multiple elite seasons when he was older than DT currently is.

DT will be going to a familiar offensive coordinator and has the entire camp, etc... to learn the Patriots system. DT will also have his best QB since his elite years with Peyton. And reports are that he will be ready to play far sooner than everyone thinks (or the Patriots wouldn't have touched him). According to Spotrac DT is the 2nd highest paid WR on the Patriots right now after Edelman.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:58 pm

PurpleHaze wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 am
xlur8ed wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:39 am DT isn't done. He has been done. No chemistry with Watson, but certainly will jump into the Patriots impossible to learn offense (players words, not mine) and earn the trust of Brady mid-season?
Let's look at DT's PFF grades for his career:

Yes he was elite and peaked in 2012-2014 when Peyton Manning was lighting up the scoreboard in Denver. However, he has been "good" his entire career. His worst year was last year in a new system with a new QB midseason. Now let's compare this to future HOF WR Larry Fitzgerald who's been playing nearly twice as long:

Fitz's worst year was worse than DT has ever had in his prime years (2012). Fitz also put up multiple elite seasons when he was older than DT currently is.

DT will be going to a familiar offensive coordinator and has the entire camp, etc... to learn the Patriots system. DT will also have his best QB since his elite years with Peyton. And reports are that he will be ready to play far sooner than everyone thinks (or the Patriots wouldn't have touched him). According to Spotrac DT is the 2nd highest paid WR on the Patriots right now after Edelman.
I’m not sure they’re really comparable receivers (DT relied way more on athleticism to be elite than Fitz), but even if I accept that premise I think people are more inferring that DT will be worthless in New England, which seems fairly likely. Then you’re left hoping he catches on somewhere else and can turn his career around in his age 33 season? Maybe, but I don’t think that’s something you want to bank on.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:28 am

moishetreats wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:18 pm The contract details (when they come out) will be revealing.

High guarantee? Then move DT up quite a bit.

Low salary and mostly incentive-based? Then they're bringing him in for an August look and are as likely to cut him in the pre-season as anything else.
Follow-up: The Patriots would only incur a $300,000 cap hit were they to cut DT before the season.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

PurpleHaze
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PurpleHaze » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:26 am

moishetreats wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:28 am Follow-up: The Patriots would only incur a $300,000 cap hit were they to cut DT before the season.
True. That's a smart move considering that DT is damaged goods at the moment.

That said DT is currently the highest paid NE WR not named Edelman. So it's more than "camp body" money. Remember McDaniels was coach when DT was drafted in Denver.

There are several variables at play here:

1. DT's health
2. Status of Josh Gordon
3. If NE does anything at WR in the draft.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:01 pm

Time to see if DT is willing to mentor N'Keal Harry.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..