Russell Wilson - Seahawk? Or maybe not..

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Russell Wilson - Seahawk? Or maybe not..

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:48 am

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:36 am

For the record, I have zero issues with a player or agent asking for anything
. That doesn't mean it makes sense to actually do what is being asked. Tying raises to the cap in a contract would be really stupid for a team to do.

Trying to turn it into some political discussion is even more stupid IMO.
Ice wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:12 am
Agree 100%. Seattle would be straight up stupid to do this. One of the more selfish requests I have seen in sports.
So you don't have any issue with a player or agent asking for anything huh?

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:05 am

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:48 am

. That doesn't mean it makes sense to actually do what is being asked. Tying raises to the cap in a contract would be really stupid for a team to do.

Agree 100%. Seattle would be straight up stupid to do this. One of the more selfish requests I have seen in sports.

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:32 am

There's a potentially much larger contract "trail blazer" narrative playing out in the Russell Wilson negotiations. We all know NFL contracts are weak by comparison to other sports. The guaranteed $ is less, the top paid players quickly fall behind their NFL comps just a year or two into their "long term" deals, but too bad they're locked in. Look at Julio's hardball for a new deal now. Never mind the much-shorter average career lengths or the vicious harsh reality of the NFL game. Well, if you believe the league revenue opportunities are about to explode, it's smart to ask for a cap-baselined deal. If you got the leverage as Wilson obviously thinks he has. It would be the 1st deal of its kind. Game changing is an understatement.

From the owners/team perspective - Obviously nobody would want to be the 1st to unleash that pandora's box on the league. Can you imagine the top offensive *and* defensive players taking similar "give me a cap-adjusted baseline or else" stance? Then again, if you're the Seahawks brass, are you willing to lose Danger Russ if you don't do it or franchise tag him into a bad situation?

From the players perspective - it's inevitable to somehow better align the life of top deals with cap growth - currently some $10 mill/yr. If you're Wilson, are you really willing to leave the emerald city to get such a deal? This would explain why some think he is angling to get out.

Peter King lays this out in glorious technicolor, as always.

"Most players want the assurance of guaranteed money and long-term security. They’ll take significant guaranteed money in exchange for fighting for what Cousins got (a fully guaranteed three-year, $84-million contract) or what Wilson presumably wants (a fluctuating contract, based on the league’s future success). But from what I hear, Wilson and Rodgers feel the league could be on the precipice of major new revenue streams. Recently, Bills co-owner Kim Pegula said she wanted to have the opportunity to provide sports betting inside their stadium. What might the NFL’s take on in-stadium gambling be, and how would that be divided with the players? Could Facebook or some digital brand bid an unheard-of sum for the rights to part of the TV deal in 2022?"

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... cid=fmiatw

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:34 pm

You do know there is a distinct difference between issue and opinion.

I have no issues with someone asking but my opinion is it is a selfish request.

Education Matters! Get some!!!!! 😁

I am not going to dumb down my vocabulary for those that don’t have a college education. If you can’t comprehend then look up definitions. It’s not hard.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:51 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:34 pm

I am not going to dumb down my vocabulary for those that don’t have a college education. If you can’t comprehend then look up definitions. It’s not hard.
Hahahaha, what a pompous and arrogant response. That's par for the course when one's own words are used to contradict themselves.

You said it was selfish. Selfish carries a negative connotation. Therefore by calling an act selfish you are implying that you have an issue with said action. We all comprehend it just fine. You got called out and now keep backpedaling. It's really quite amusing at this point.

I know you like to act as if you are more intelligent than others on here, but that doesn't make it true. If you want to compare college degrees feel free to PM me. Otherwise, quit acting like a douche kid.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:07 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:51 pm

Hahahaha, what a pompous and arrogant response. That's par for the course when one's own words are used to contradict themselves.

You said it was selfish. Selfish carries a negative connotation. Therefore by calling an act selfish you are implying that you have an issue with said action. We all comprehend it just fine. You got called out and now keep backpedaling. It's really quite amusing at this point.

I know you like to act as if you are more intelligent than others on here, but that doesn't make it true. If you want to compare college degrees feel free to PM me. Otherwise, quit acting like a douche kid.
Of course it was pompous, but you called me out for your lack of vocabulary skills.

No issue if you disagree with my opinion😁

Yes, that last statement was a play on words for your benefit to drive home the point!

Carry on! 🍺

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:13 pm

That’s cool, which website did you get your college degree from?
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:16 pm

pvillebiker wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:32 am There's a potentially much larger contract "trail blazer" narrative playing out in the Russell Wilson negotiations. We all know NFL contracts are weak by comparison to other sports. The guaranteed $ is less, the top paid players quickly fall behind their NFL comps just a year or two into their "long term" deals, but too bad they're locked in. Look at Julio's hardball for a new deal now. Never mind the much-shorter average career lengths or the vicious harsh reality of the NFL game. Well, if you believe the league revenue opportunities are about to explode, it's smart to ask for a cap-baselined deal. If you got the leverage as Wilson obviously thinks he has. It would be the 1st deal of its kind. Game changing is an understatement.

From the owners/team perspective - Obviously nobody would want to be the 1st to unleash that pandora's box on the league. Can you imagine the top offensive *and* defensive players taking similar "give me a cap-adjusted baseline or else" stance? Then again, if you're the Seahawks brass, are you willing to lose Danger Russ if you don't do it or franchise tag him into a bad situation?

From the players perspective - it's inevitable to somehow better align the life of top deals with cap growth - currently some $10 mill/yr. If you're Wilson, are you really willing to leave the emerald city to get such a deal? This would explain why some think he is angling to get out.

Peter King lays this out in glorious technicolor, as always.

"Most players want the assurance of guaranteed money and long-term security. They’ll take significant guaranteed money in exchange for fighting for what Cousins got (a fully guaranteed three-year, $84-million contract) or what Wilson presumably wants (a fluctuating contract, based on the league’s future success). But from what I hear, Wilson and Rodgers feel the league could be on the precipice of major new revenue streams. Recently, Bills co-owner Kim Pegula said she wanted to have the opportunity to provide sports betting inside their stadium. What might the NFL’s take on in-stadium gambling be, and how would that be divided with the players? Could Facebook or some digital brand bid an unheard-of sum for the rights to part of the TV deal in 2022?"

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... cid=fmiatw
Good Take!

One thing is Seattle does lag behind many other teams in regards to guarantees moving into the 2nd year of contracts.

I suspect it’s a ploy to simply get more guaranteed money over a longer term.

The Raiders seem to be the inverse in that they spread out guarantees instead of big signing bonuses.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:51 pm

Plot twist: his unique contract demands are his way of trying to force himself out of an organization he no longer wants to play for.

Wilson is under no obligation to meet the Seahawks demands of him, they have continually failed to provide him with the supportive pieces around him.

Like we saw with Cousins; someone will give him what he wants.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:52 pm

Most NFL QBs measure their worth by their salary, one guy measures it by counting his Super Bowl rings.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:59 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:59 am Wilson is a very good system QB
BS. He's simply good at playing quarterback, despite his height.

The "system QB" pejorative is pretty lame, btw, considering Brady -- the inarguable (at this point) GOAT -- has been a "system QB" his entire career.

Every great QB is in a great system. One hand washes the other.
Wilson threw about 250 fewer times than the top passing team. Wilson was in the bottom 3rd of passing attempts.
Artificial restriction. And nothing Schotty is doing in Seattle is typical of the current era of passing offense.
Great for his system but more replaceable in the era of a short passing game.
Taking frequent and effective deep shots as set up by the heavy rushing attack is a major aspect of Seattle's present offense. Which Wilson just happens to be brilliant at doing. Which isn't remotely an easily replaceable trait.
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:13 pm
Ice wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:34 pm I am not going to dumb down my vocabulary for those that don’t have a college education. If you can’t comprehend then look up definitions. It’s not hard.
That’s cool, which website did you get your college degree from?
I'm starting to think of his alias here as an analogy for the temperature of his takes.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:01 pm

Not to mention - Wilson is the most accurate deep passer in the league the last 3 years according to PFF (and by a decent margin).

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Yes.

But tell us more about how Wilson is a replaceable system QB for Seattle's modern short-passing offense, Ice. :|
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:44 pm

I legit feel bad for people who think Russell Wilson isn’t awesome. Probably flat Earth believers too. These type of people make me nervous. They drive and walk among us. Scary times.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:17 pm

Yeah, he is my #1 QB, and inarguably a top 3 guy even if you have blinders on. He could go to any team and make them a playoff contender. Only 1 or 2 other QBs have that level of ability, Rodgers and Brees, maybe Mahomes.