TE as the 1.1 in rookie draft?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Titus Young's Lawyer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

TE as the 1.1 in rookie draft?

Postby Titus Young's Lawyer » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:59 am

Threads currently on this site regarding this upcoming draft and in year’s past TE’s have never been considered a top option in rookie drafts. Thought of as highly hit or miss and often taking years to develop the top TE have usually been taken mid to late 1st round. Things have changed, a top TE is hard to find. Having an elite TE is a huge positional advantage and helps you win a league. If Noah Fant for example is one of the top offensive skill position players taken in the NFL draft and goes to a good situation why shouldn’t he be in the conversation for 1.1? This TE would probably be instantly a top 10 option at the position opposed to taking a WR that would be ranked in the 20-30 spot at a deeper position? Does the dynasty community in general undervalue high-end rookie TE’s?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: TE as the 1.1 in rookie draft?

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:03 am

No, a TE is not in consideration, IMO. Development takes too long, and they don't score as many points, typically.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:07 am

If only it were that simple.

The last TE drafted in the 1st round of the NFL draft to put up even a mediocre 800 yards receiving was drafted 12 years ago and that guy didn't even do it until his 5th year on his 2nd team.

Howard/Njoku/Engram all look like they could be headed for it but they still have a BIG step to take before we call any of them elite TEs. Kelce, Ertz, Gronk, Graham, Witten, Gates, Gonzo, Sharpe. None of those guys were 1st round NFL picks.

Here are the TEs that have been drafted in the 1st round in the NFL in the last 15 years. It's hardly a murderer's row of elite fantasy options.

Hayden Hurst
OJ Howard
Evan Engram
David Njoku
Eric Ebron
Tyler Eifert
Jermaine Gresham
Brandon Pettigrew
Dustin Keller
Greg Olsen
Vernon Davis
Marcedes Lewis
Heath Miller
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:33 am

If you had Kittle, Kelce or Ertz last year, it's definitely a strong positional advantage. However, it's a luxury more than a necessity. There were probably plenty of leagues where someone got by with a merely decent TE. A TE just isn't worth the 1.01 in any draft unless you're playing TE Premium. Development is too slow and the position doesn't produce a lot of fantasy points.

Plus, most of the recent breakout TE's: Kittle, Kelce, Ertz, Ebron, Eifert, etc could've been had for next to nothing at some point. There's always a buy low window for high upside TE's.

I agree with the above that draft pedigree doesn't necessarily determine really good TE's. There's a ton that goes into that position and it's by far the hardest to scout in fantasy.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:44 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:03 am No, a TE is not in consideration, IMO. Development takes too long, and they don't score as many points, typically.
Agree,

No chance I would take a TE at 1.1 in a fantasy draft. TE is a very hard position to learn in the NFL. They have to learn the O line calls and learn how to work with them. Additionally, they have to learn the routes in their system and work with the QB which takes time given they have double duty assignments . It is rare any TE is completely NFL ready. They typically need to add weight and muscle just to compete.

That said I have no issues drafting a TE in the mid to late to 1st if one looks like a legit 3 down player that can play inside and in space.

While Fant may have the best fantasy season of the rookies, Hockenson looks like the best prospect to me. Both will add some strength obviously but Hockenson is a tactician in line and will fool the defense better long term. He is more Gronk like IMO.

Both of these have 1st round fantasy grades to me and Smith has a high 2nd but all have way too much fantasy risk at 1.1.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:31 am

Well said, Vcize. Well said.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:47 am

No way do I take a TE at 1.01. However I will definitely consider Hockensen or Fant at my 1.05 pick since I feel strong at my other positions.

DLF_TylerK
Captain
Captain

Postby DLF_TylerK » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:05 am

I think Fant and Hockenson are great prospects, but they'd need to be a lot more of a sure thing and go to a perfect landing spot to even enter my top 5 consideration in a rookie draft. I can't imagine turning down a high upside WR or RB for either of them.
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TylerFFCreator
Check out my DLF Author Profile for all my articles: https://dynastyleaguefootball.com/author/karpj123/

prinefan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby prinefan » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:17 am

jkid2 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:05 am I think Fant and Hockenson are great prospects, but they'd need to be a lot more of a sure thing and go to a perfect landing spot to even enter my top 5 consideration in a rookie draft. I can't imagine turning down a high upside WR or RB for either of them.
Agree. Just takes too long for production to find out if you hit. I pray they go top 5 in my leagues.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:51 am

I would start to consider them around pick 5 I think. I agree with all the points made about tight ends but I’d also like to not get stuck with my pants down by owning some rookie WR who never sees the field and is immediately untradeable. The floor is high on those tight ends and for rookie picks, just give me a good quality player that will be insulated in value too.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:01 pm

If Fant/Hock land in great spots (say NEP or GB etc.) I'd use a first rounder, but not 1.01. If you have a high pick, trade back. You can get one of them last first, early second, most likely.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:12 pm

As others have suggested; that high is probably a stretch..

However, if you think a TE is the next Gronk, Kelce, etc.. The positional advantage is huge.

I disagree with getting them cheap later on unless the owner is a newcomer to fantasy; if an owner is investing a pick in a TE they should know patience will be required. You may never get them cheap.

I could see an early first, depending on the TE and how you feel about the class.

The problem with TEs early are similar to QBs early in 1QB leagues. When you only need to start one, there is no need to grab one early.

PTW32
Captain
Captain

Postby PTW32 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:26 pm

I have 1.1 and 1.2 in a TE league. I still dont have a clue what I'm going to do with those picks but if Hockerson gets drafted by the Pats (especially if they trade up for him) he will certianly be in the running.
Team 1 10 Team PPR QB, 2RB, 3WR, 2TE, 3Flex

QB: Feilds, Lance, Stafford
RB: Javonte, Charbonnet
WR: Godwin, Boyd, Aiyuk, Mingo, Downs
TE: Kincaid, Kraft, Schoonmaker

Team 2 10 Team PPR QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3Flex
QB: Lamar, Baker
RB: Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, Ekeler, Sanders, Dillon, Pierce
WR: Diggs, Hill, Lockett, Addison
TE: Andrews, Hurst, Logan Thomas

Team 3 12 Team PPR (keep 16)
QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3Flex

QB: Kyler, Feilds
RB: CMC, Javonte, Dobbins, Dillo, Brian Robinson
WR: AJB, Godwin, DJ Moore, Keenan, Lamb, Burks, Toney
TE: Kittle, Hockenson

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:29 pm

I hope people in my leagues draft TE early.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:30 pm

First of all, I'm presuming that you're talking about a 1TE league. If it's a 2TE league, then the conversation changes.

Second, I get what you're saying. Every position has hits or misses. If you're right about a rare TE prospect joining the elites, then it's certainly reasonable to consider him the overall fantasy prospect.

That being said, even if you do believe that a particular TE is the #1 prospect, taking him at 1.01 would leave serious value on the table. You'd be able to trade down to 1.02, 1.03, 1.04, or 1.05 and something -- anything -- with minimal risk of not getting your TE. I could understanding not trading to, say, 1.08 if that's the only offer that you have and you are dead-set on a particular player. But, not trading down a little is simply leaving value on the table.

Good thought experiment!
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --