David Njoku Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Is Njoku a sell?

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:51 pm

I'd sell. I hate dedicating too many eggs in my asset basket to unsure TEs. Use him to upgrade to Ertz/Kelce or sell for a 1st+. He very well may pan out and be a stud, but I'm not counting on it.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:11 pm

I’m kinda torn on his value right now. On one hand, I agree with people that are talking about his talent, upside, youth, etc. I see the other side too though, it’s doubtful that he will get the targets to put up the numbers to be a top 5 TE, not with everyone Cleveland has on offense now. I own 3 shares and I’m just holding because it’s unlikely that I could get what I would want for him anyway. Just have to hope he gets enough targets, because I don’t doubt the talent.

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:21 pm

What’s it take to be a top five te. Ebron might have been that last year. I think he caught 11 balls, but 14 were tds. How he did that is beyond me. He’s coming back down to earth. Njoku has as good a chance as any at his position to take home the te td crown. It’s like the football gods created him to do it. If you don’t have one of the top three, njoku is in that next tier. We also forget that he came out so young that he is younger than some of the rookies in this draft.

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:39 pm

JFever wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:32 pm It feels strange to say it, but, Talent really doesn't matter as much as many may think when it comes to TE production. I know, I know.... But... hear me out. It ultimately comes down to many different variables for TE production. This is why it is so tough to draft, predict, and incorporate great TE's in an offense. IMO, this is why TE fantasy production is so rare. Maybe I'm right, maybe not... but - There are things that contribute and take away from this ; Consider - 1. Snap count 2. blocking scheme 3. Game script / Defense 4. Play calling & target share 5.team mate skill set & team mate level of play 6. Health 7. route running 8. Hands.

To add to it, TE's can typically be productive a few years longer into their careers. So, a break out at a young age is unlikely & unpredictable as it just isn't directly corrilated to NCAA production or skill set alone.

All that said, I find it EXTREMELY unlikely that Baker Mayfield will captain a top 3 NFL passing offense that would be necessary to support OBJ, Landry, Chubb/Hunt, Higgins and Njoku. It could happen, he (Mayfield)did look very promising in his rookie campaign. But, if their defense picks up where they left off, why in the world would you be super pass happy, SO pass happy that you will support 2 WR1
s, one / maybe 2 RB 1's, and a TE1. ? Somethings just don't add up and - this is one of them. Njoku, at this point in time, just feels like he will be the odd man out. I own him no where. Never have. I have no horse in this race.
I wont be surprised if they are a top 3 offense. They have the best weapons in the league and Baker is a stud. Todd Monken turned the TB offense including Fitztragic into a top 3 offense in terms of yards per game and they were first in passing yards. The Browns defense being good might be the only thing that can hold them back from being one of the best offenses. The might not need to be a top offense, but they are certainly capable.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:56 pm

Outside of a very select few; All TE's are buys or sells depending on the price. He is a high talent player but with so many targets and a solid running game there will be inconsistency with him. I do expect increase red zone looks if that helps.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:11 pm

I think people underestimate how much the browns threw it once kitchens took over. I think they leaned way pass heavy once the got too the red zone/goal line. We might be overrating chub as great as he is.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:19 pm

It depends what you can get - he has always been overvalued by the community.

I would trade for any 1st in a heartbeat.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:15 pm

the joker is going to be all alone in the seam for most of the season, plus it is pretty amazing how many times Mayfield just throws it up for him to win .. I'm not selling.
@PlankMelody

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:55 pm

Njoku is starting to sound like the new Ebron. :)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:06 pm

If owners are panic selling him right now, I’m buying. I think he is still a top 10 TE with top 5 weekly upside. If I was an owner, I wouldn’t give him away.

Dynasty owners are so quick to overreact. OBJ is gonna demand a lot of attention (which is good for Njoku). Defenses are gonna have to respect the run as well (which is good for Njoku). Landry is no slouch either. Njoku can still beat out a LB. Defenses are gonna have to pick their poison.

This isn’t the Browns of old anymore. If Eli can make Engram a top 10 (with top 5 weekly upside), with OBJ/Shep/Barkley and a ragtag offensive line, then I wouldn’t be shocked if Mayfield could do the same with Njoku.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:15 pm

I’m dumbfounded by this thread ... Njoku has improved each of his first two years ... he plays a position known to take a few years to learn ... last year he finally got a QB ... heading into next year, his offense will likely be top 2 or 3 in league .... yeah, definitely sell now before it’s too late (that was sarcasm for those of you thinking he’s a bust).

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:41 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:15 pm I’m dumbfounded by this thread ... Njoku has improved each of his first two years ... he plays a position known to take a few years to learn ... last year he finally got a QB ... heading into next year, his offense will likely be top 2 or 3 in league .... yeah, definitely sell now before it’s too late (that was sarcasm for those of you thinking he’s a bust).
Not sure anyone is thinking he is a bust.

He is a plus athlete and not a bust but doubt he is a top 5 TE in that system loaded with talent.

I would sell easily for a top 8 rookie pick. Don’t see him as Kelce or Ertz at this stage but don’t blame anyone for keeping him. He hasn’t proven anything at this point to warrant an overpay of any kind.

He is a classic value buy or sell player.

He has Engram value. If I were to gamble on the next big TE it would be Hockenson. He has 100% of the tools to never leave the field and he hasn’t even been drafted.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:00 pm

I think no matter which way you look at it the OBJ signing is a negative for 2019 production but Njoku's future is in his own hands. Kelce has been the top TE for years now with Hill coming on strong the past 2 years, Gronk has always thrived even with solid group of receivers around him. So yeah Njoku will never be the getting Zach Ertz or George Kittle target share or receptions but the dude is 23 years old, who is to say he doesn't leap frog everyone but OBJ in the pecking order at some point in the future? If you believed he was a top talent before OBJ you should still believe he is today. I'm personally ranking him below Engram/Howard/HH for now but he is still very much so in that tier and I'd rather have him over Fant/Hockenson until I lnow their landing spots. I certainly would not sell him for anything less than a mid 1st

Also I have Howard and Henry ranked above him because I've always ranked them above him even before OBJ. Why is Howard's situation with Evans/Godwin and Arians whose never had a history with tight ends considered better? Why is Henry's who is behind KA/Gordon/likely Williams in a better situation?

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:24 pm

Another thing. A good offense is almost always good for tes. It takes the attention away. You couldn’t concentrate on Dallas Clark or Jason Witten because Marvin Harrison and dez were running around. Jimmy graham had plus wrs around him. Gates had LT and some good wrs around him. These are just a few of the examples. The elite tes almost always have a counterpart on offense. Also they usually have elite QBs. Baker is that. So njoku has an elite QB and a high end wr next to him and we think he is not going to catch balls? The pecking order is obj Landry and then njoku and with how much they are going to chuck it there will be plenty of targets to be had. I might go so far as to say he will be the second option in that offense. Landry’s production waned as baker progressed. He is far superior athletically to Jarvis and towers over obj. His role in this offense is so obvious. His nickname is chief for gods sake.

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:30 pm

briank wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:29 am
I vehemently disagree that he's a low floor player. He just finished as a top 10 TE in his sophomore season. He's tied to a great young QB. He's about to get less coverage. There are a lot of mouths to feed, but the offense is going to be a lot better and he's an ascending talent. He could get less of the target share this year, and still put up more points. I think he'll be their main target in the redzone.
I generally agree but when did Ndropku get "more" coverage? He is crazy young and a beast post-catch. He should be relatively fine in fantasy for a while