Josh Jacobs: Moving On Up

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Josh Jacobs Pro Day

Postby Titans95 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:29 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:20 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:43 pm It's all about the numbers guys. Ignore Emmith Smith, Arian Foster, Jerry Rice, Steve Largent, Russel Wilson, Drew Brees, et al who were too small, to short, to slow to play their position. Heck, as some noted above, some of the best RBs in the game today have not run sub 4.5 40s.

But by all means keep picking the gym warriors with elite measureables and let me snap up talent, instinct, skill, heart, intelligence.
I get your point but Jacobs also didn’t produce anything in college. Emmitt Smith had as many yards as a Freshman as Jacobs had in his 3 years. So now you have poor measurables plus poor production.
His production wasn't poor, just limited. I don't think 5.3 ypc is necessarily bad but if you want to use that as "poor" that's okay but know that 41% of all his touches resulted in a 1st down or touchdown which was the highest rate in the country, that tells me he was used ALOT on goal line situations and short yardage situations which can negatively skew a stat like ypc, especially on a guy with only 120 carries on the season.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Titans95 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:29 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:43 pm It's all about the numbers guys. Ignore Emmith Smith, Arian Foster, Jerry Rice, Steve Largent, Russel Wilson, Drew Brees, et al who were too small, to short, to slow to play their position. Heck, as some noted above, some of the best RBs in the game today have not run sub 4.5 40s.

But by all means keep picking the gym warriors with elite measureables and let me snap up talent, instinct, skill, heart, intelligence.
I get your point but Jacobs also didn’t produce anything in college. Emmitt Smith had as many yards as a Freshman as Jacobs had in his 3 years. So now you have poor measurables plus poor production.
His production wasn't poor, just limited. I don't think 5.3 ypc is necessarily bad but if you want to use that as "poor" that's okay but know that 41% of all his touches resulted in a 1st down or touchdown which was the highest rate in the country, that tells me he was used ALOT on goal line situations and short yardage situations which can negatively skew a stat like ypc, especially on a guy with only 120 carries on the season.
I'm not sure people are passing on Jacobs for guys that are just more athletic. I mean, N"Keal Harry, for example, is a better athlete, and also a better college producer. Same with Damien Harris, his own teammate. I like Jacobs tape, but I'm not prepared to sink an early first into him right now. Let's see how the NFL feels about him. I don't think he's a first round pick in the NFL draft, but we shall see.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:38 pm

This This This. I made a long post about Jacobs, but lost it by accident. Don't compare a guy that has a bad athletic profile and no college production (Jacobs), to a guy like Kareem Hunt that had all the production in the world. Don't be the guy that takes a very high risk player 1.01, and loses everything. If you need a RB, trade out. If you can't take best player, and build a dynasty. Plain and simple. Jacobs has to be removed from 1.01 land.
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:40 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:33 pm
Titans95 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:29 pm

I'm not sure people are passing on Jacobs for guys that are just more athletic. I mean, N"Keal Harry, for example, is a better athlete, and also a better college producer. Same with Damien Harris, his own teammate. I like Jacobs tape, but I'm not prepared to sink an early first into him right now. Let's see how the NFL feels about him. I don't think he's a first round pick in the NFL draft, but we shall see.
If you were hesitant before today which I know you have been then I can understand today just validates that hesitancy but if you were buying into Jacobs being a solid prospect and possible 1.01 and then you get scared of a 4.6 I think thats a major overreaction. I like Jacobs a lot and will be happy to take him 1.01 if his landing spot is ideal however there are 3-4 WR's I would also be happy to take with the 1.01 depending on landing spot. This year's draft is going to be extremely interesting to see where these guys end up.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:57 pm

As long as Jacobs goes first round I really don’t care. But if he falls in the draft there is 0% chance I’m spending a high pick on him.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:02 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:57 pm As long as Jacobs goes first round I really don’t care. But if he falls in the draft there is 0% chance I’m spending a high pick on him.
That makes no sense ... obviously if you post on this board, then you must know more than GMs in the NFL being paid hundreds of thousands perhaps millions per year to judge talent. Obviously, the public data available is far superior than the data from private workouts. I can’t believe I read what you wrote.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:23 pm

Read a published mock (I think on ESPN?) just the other day putting Jacobs as a 1st round pick and the first RB off the board. I suspect that mock will be changing now, if those numbers are true.

Pro Day 40s are almost always faster than Combine 40s, so if Jacobs is running a low 4.6 at his Pro Day, unless he's injured or something his real time is closer to 4.7.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:30 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:54 pm K. Johnson didn't run at the combine and ran 4.58 at his pro day and everyone around here loves that guy.
Two points.

- KJ ran a low 4.5 at his Pro Day (I think it was 4.53), but playerprofiler.com adds time to Pro Day 40s. If Jacobs' best time was a 4.63, PP will end up listing him with a 4.68 or something like that.

- KJ had excellent jump scores, indicating (correctly) his elite acceleration/explosiveness. If Jacobs jumped a 112 broad jump then that alone represents a huge difference from KJ's testing numbers profile (and with a broad like that, Jacobs' vert is probably lower 30s). Long-speed isn't the only kind of speed, and arguably isn't the most important gear for an RB anyway.

But, to be fair: jump scores are unreliable for indicating an RB's burst.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:58 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:02 pm
Jason3123 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:57 pm As long as Jacobs goes first round I really don’t care. But if he falls in the draft there is 0% chance I’m spending a high pick on him.
That makes no sense ... obviously if you post on this board, then you must know more than GMs in the NFL being paid hundreds of thousands perhaps millions per year to judge talent. Obviously, the public data available is far superior than the data from private workouts. I can’t believe I read what you wrote.
Maybe I am missing something, but didn't he basically say the same thing here? If NFL evaluates him as a first, he will not care about the poor measurables. If he falls in the draft (therefor meaning those people working in the NFL judge his talent as less) he won't touch Jacobs early . . . not sure where I am missing that you disagree, but maybe I completely misread something, haha.
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:01 pm

tresskid84 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:58 pm
Maybe I am missing something, but didn't he basically say the same thing here? If NFL evaluates him as a first, he will not care about the poor measurables. If he falls in the draft (therefor meaning those people working in the NFL judge his talent as less) he won't touch Jacobs early . . . not sure where I am missing that you disagree, but maybe I completely misread something, haha.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:18 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:30 pm
Ice wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:54 pm K. Johnson didn't run at the combine and ran 4.58 at his pro day and everyone around here loves that guy.
Two points.

- KJ ran a low 4.5 at his Pro Day (I think it was 4.53), but playerprofiler.com adds time to Pro Day 40s. If Jacobs' best time was a 4.63, PP will end up listing him with a 4.68 or something like that.

- KJ had excellent jump scores, indicating (correctly) his elite acceleration/explosiveness. If Jacobs jumped a 112 broad jump then that alone represents a huge difference from KJ's testing numbers profile (and with a broad like that, Jacobs' vert is probably lower 30s). Long-speed isn't the only kind of speed, and arguably isn't the most important gear for an RB anyway.

But, to be fair: jump scores are unreliable for indicating an RB's burst.
I saw his vert but can't find the results. Thought I heard the guy who was measuring yell 35, but I am not sure.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:31 pm

Lord_Varys wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:37 pm Montgomery and Jacobs are better than Sanders, and RB1 material in the right spot. Trust your eyes. Dalvin Cook had awful measurables at his combine, but that's fine, cuz the tape don't lie.
Whisperer of lies...

I’m trying to determine what is best for the fantasy realm to figure out what your true motives to this post are...

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:36 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:01 pm

I don’t know why it is assumed that nfl higher ups are actually good at their jobs. It’s the good ol boys club over there and once you’re in you’re in. Look at the never ending Ferris wheel of hacks that keep getting jobs and keep failing and keep getting jobs and keep failing and keep ....

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:37 pm

There may have been just a tad bit of sarcasm in my post ... :wall:

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:42 pm

Huh wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:36 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:01 pm

I don’t know why it is assumed that nfl higher ups are actually good at their jobs. It’s the good ol boys club over there and once you’re in you’re in. Look at the never ending Ferris wheel of hacks that keep getting jobs and keep failing and keep getting jobs and keep failing and keep ....
The reality is is all walks of life that the higher up the curve the greater the disparity from one percentile to the next ... for the sake argument let’s say any NFL GM ever is top 10% at talent evaluation ... but a GM that’s in the Top 5% or 1% would make them look like an amateur.