Buy/Sell/Hold - 49ers backfield

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Buy/Sell/Hold - 49ers backfield

Postby jetsfan5757 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:42 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:32 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:00 pm One name not discussed here- Mostert signs 3 year extension.
Yeah, so it looks like Breida or McKinnon may be on the way out.
It looks that way. Makes no sense to sign Coleman just to trade him.

However, maybe they carry all 4 and then trade/cut Tevin next year? I think they have an out in his contract next year.

My money would still be on Breida or McKinnon getting moved. And if I had to bet money it would be the guy with the bigger contract...
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:36 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:00 pm One name not discussed here- Mostert signs 3 year extension.
2. The San Francisco 49ers agreed to terms with running back Raheem Mostert on a three-year, $8.7 million deal with $3 million guaranteed, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Saturday.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:32 pm

I don't think Mostert factors into the equation of who they keep; he is mainly a special teamer - essential for real life football, something we often forget about as fantasy owners.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:37 pm

Mostert is a do-it-all player. He's signed for more than RB duties. Not an issue.

The talk of McKinnon getting cut is laughable at the moment. He hasn't even had a chance to prove himself.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:41 pm

Mostert is a special-teams ace (he's even good at tackling) with straight-line speed that can be useful on offense in a pinch. His signing doesn't necessarily mean anyone else is getting released from the RB depth-chart.

Whether it's an RB or WR, the official position of a dedicated special-teams ace is partly nominal. It's nice if they're also viable depth for the offense, but that's not really why they're on the 53. Mostert is like Brandon Bolden on NE's RB chart and Matthew Slater on their WR chart. They're there, and but their presence doesn't factor much for our purposes when we consider those depth-charts in the context of dynasty/fantasy.

Mostert's extension indicates Shanahan is finished with the RB chart this offseason. There will be an additional camp-body or two, but it's plausible they'll go into the '19 season with a chart of Breida-Coleman-McKinnon-Mostert.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:07 am

ninotoreS wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:41 pmit's plausible they'll go into the '19 season with a chart of Breida-Coleman-McKinnon-Mostert.
In your opinion, in that order, or did you just list them alphabetically?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:07 am did you just list them alphabetically?
Good eye. :)

Not in that order in terms of touch-share -- at this stage I won't even guess how that'll shake out.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:48 am

MEuRaH wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:29 am It's interesting because one runner thrives in man blocking (Coleman) and the other thrives in zone (McK).
Does Coleman thrive in man? He had his best production ever with Shanny in Atlanta and the zone blocking scheme. He's a speed, one cut runner.

I like your Ingram/Kamara comp, though. Shanahan has always seemed to use 2 running backs, but one is the leader, ina 60/40. I don't think Breida is much of a factor at all this year except in injury. Nice depth, maybe get a couple carries a game as a COP runner, but Shanahan has ALWAYS featured two guys, and ALWAYS one of them has been the leader of the duo.

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:16 am

Lord_Varys wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:48 am
MEuRaH wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:29 am It's interesting because one runner thrives in man blocking (Coleman) and the other thrives in zone (McK).
Does Coleman thrive in man? He had his best production ever with Shanny in Atlanta and the zone blocking scheme. He's a speed, one cut runner.

I like your Ingram/Kamara comp, though. Shanahan has always seemed to use 2 running backs, but one is the leader, ina 60/40. I don't think Breida is much of a factor at all this year except in injury. Nice depth, maybe get a couple carries a game as a COP runner, but Shanahan has ALWAYS featured two guys, and ALWAYS one of them has been the leader of the duo.
Good point. That's actually the way I remember it too...
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

bruskie10
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bruskie10 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:28 am

Watch the Niners move Mckinnon in a trade due to his perceived value being higher than Breida sometime before the season starts.

If they roll into the year with Breida & Coleman as their 1-2 punch, I can't say i'd be mad about it. Both would put up good numbers fantasy-wise.
*TEAM 1*
30 team PPR
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1WT flex, 2 WRT flex

QB - Ryan Tannehill
RB - Ty Davis-Price / Deon Jackson
WR - AJ Brown / Stefon Diggs / Terry McLaurin / Devin Duvernay / Nico Collins / Kyle Phillips
TE - Gerald Everett

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:26 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:15 pm
lukkynumber13 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:34 pm I would absolutely take the 11th rookie over Tevin Coleman.

Your only other option would be to wait until mid-season, hope for injuries to the other guys, and then sell Coleman. But even then, you might get, what - a top 8 rookie pick?

I would sell now for the 11th pick, if you can.
I'd easily take Coleman over the 1.11 in a draft with no depth and limited talent. You're at least getting an RB2 with some RB1 upside against the right matchups. This backfield is a mess, but one thing is clear right now: Tevin Coleman is going to play a lot. They just signed him and he knows the offense.

It's really just a matter of who's gone (or sits) between McKinnon and Breida.
Kyle Shanahan: We need someone to fill the Tevin Coleman role

Lynch: I know the perfect player!

Shanahan: Really who!?

Lynch: Tevin Coleman!

for real though, Coleman is coleman and Mckinnon is Freeman. McKinnon is making twice as much in salary as Coleman is and is the better pass catching back.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:43 pm

Titans95 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:26 pm Mckinnon is Freeman
I remember this was the popular narrative back at this time last year, but I can tell you as someone well versed in Free's tape that McKinnon's carries don't much resemble Free's play.

I think McKinnon is more like Coleman than Free.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:42 pm

Titans95 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:26 pm
lukkynumber13 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:34 pm I would absolutely take the 11th rookie over Tevin Coleman.

Your only other option would be to wait until mid-season, hope for injuries to the other guys, and then sell Coleman. But even then, you might get, what - a top 8 rookie pick?

I would sell now for the 11th pick, if you can.
I'd easily take Coleman over the 1.11 in a draft with no depth and limited talent. You're at least getting an RB2 with some RB1 upside against the right matchups. This backfield is a mess, but one thing is clear right now: Tevin Coleman is going to play a lot. They just signed him and he knows the offense.

for real though, Coleman is coleman and Mckinnon is Freeman. McKinnon is making twice as much in salary as Coleman is and is the better pass catching back.
LOL. Except McKinnon has not established himself as a better football player than Tevin Coleman.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:02 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:42 pm
Titans95 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:26 pm

LOL. Except McKinnon has not established himself as a better football player than Tevin Coleman.
No fair slipping a little reality into this fantasy.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:52 am

McKinnon & Coleman are basically the same backs but McKinnon is a bit better at what they specialize at, while Coleman comes at a fraction of the cost.