Sterling Shepard - Biggest Giants Winner in OBJ Trade?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Re: Sterling Shepard - Biggest Giants Winner in OBJ Trade?

Postby pvillebiker » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:25 am

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:51 pm I think it's likely the Giants have decided they really like a particular WR from this draft class. And I think it's a factor in their decision to trade Beckham.

But for now, it's reasonable to tap Shepard as a winner here. Just don't overhype it, though -- I doubt the Giants plan for him to be their #1 WR of the future. He's had opportunity before with Beckham on the sideline, and it doesn't seem to me like he did nearly enough with it to make that case to the coaching staff / front-office.
Exactly. Makes a lot of sense for a rebuild team to swap out OBJ's contract for a rookie WR they believe in. Can't imagine this would change their #6 pick, unless they trade it away to get the #3 slot ahead of the Raiders to land their QB. Dang, I hope the Raiders aren't really in the QB market after trading for AB.

Wonder if D-Calf (my non-believer name for D.K.) will be available at #17?

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:41 am

pjoner wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:31 am what's the current value on Shepard now from a sell perspective...
I would love having Shepard as a depth WR, even maybe my WR3 now for the year. I would prefer to package him plus extra to obtain an automatic starter for me, or I'd possibly sell for the right rookie pick, meaning if a rookie I truly loved was available. I wouldn't just sell him to obtain rookie picks because you probably won't get anyone as good as him. He is a really good WR2/3 for a team but this season in fantasy he'll definitely have a chance at a top 24 season.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:49 am

Jason3123 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:56 pm Engram is the biggest winner.
Easily this ^
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:33 am

I would not consider catching passes from Eli to be a win right now. Beckham is so otherworldly good that he was prolonging Eli's nosedive.

Snake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Snake » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:40 am

Prediction: Giants take a DE at 7 and Parris Campbell 1.17. They go 2-14 and draft Tua or Fromm in 2019. 18 months from now Giants fans are happy.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:49 am

Snake wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:40 am Prediction: Giants take a DE at 7 and Parris Campbell 1.17. They go 2-14 and draft Tua or Fromm in 2019. 18 months from now Giants fans are happy.
Parris Campbell at 17 lol. My goodness. I hope that happens.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:03 am

Jason3123 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:49 am
Snake wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:40 am Prediction: Giants take a DE at 7 and Parris Campbell 1.17. They go 2-14 and draft Tua or Fromm in 2019. 18 months from now Giants fans are happy.
Lol why not Metcalf or Harry or Brown or Butler...

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:06 pm

Both them and the Steelers will add someone for sure.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:15 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:03 am
Jason3123 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:49 am
Lol why not Metcalf or Harry or Brown or Butler...
Campbell is actually climbing draft boards but probably a 2nd round player. I actually think he could develop in a big way in a couple of years. He is pretty smooth out of breaks.

DK will be gone. Brown might be there. Harry should be there. Butler is a round 2-3 talent. My take is people are way too high him. He is big and looks good without pads but he is really slow on tape.

The Giants need a ton of defense and this is a strong defensive draft. Better to draft close to can't miss players with those 1st rounders unless they believe a QB is a franchise player. Only two look to be that.

I could see them going defense with both picks.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:43 pm

Wow, this is a bit more total $ than Tate got, but a $million'ish less guaranteed. Not too shabby. This tells me the Giants want to repeat the Lions approach to having no WR1 - but rather two WR2's. Could work... long as you don't want to go to the playoffs.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/ ... es/8970921

Giants signed WR Sterling Shepard to a four-year, $41 million extension.
Shepard was in the final year of his rookie contract. With Odell Beckham gone, the Giants are counting on him as their new No. 1 receiver. This is a nice deal for Shepard — who gets $21.3 million guaranteed. His $10.25 million AAV places him in the top-20 among wideouts. Coming off career highs in catches (66) and yards (872), Shepard is a good bet for his first 1,000-yard season in 2019.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:15 pm

That's a lot of money for him..

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:51 pm

Shepard has run almost all of his routes from the slot for the Giants to this point in time, and that's where Tate lives, too. Gettleman signing both of them for significant money just seems to underscore the incoherent direction of this organization since he became GM. Gettleman splurged on redundant personnel when he was GM of Carolina too.

Who's gonna play outside now between Shepard and Tate? I'm fairly confident their respective fantasy owners do not want their guy 'losing' the slot job. It's easily where they both perform best.

So I think this is bad for Shepard owners. I was thinking of trying to buy him this offseason with 2020 free-agency in mind. So much for that.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:05 pm

Guess this means they'll trade him next off-season like they did Odell? ;)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:09 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:51 pm Shepard has run almost all of his routes from the slot for the Giants to this point in time, and that's where Tate lives, too. Gettleman signing both of them for significant money just seems to underscore the incoherent direction of this organization since he became GM. Gettleman splurged on redundant personnel when he was GM of Carolina too.

Who's gonna play outside now between Shepard and Tate? I'm fairly confident their respective fantasy owners do not want their guy 'losing' the slot job. It's easily where they both perform best.

So I think this is bad for Shepard owners. I was thinking of trying to buy him this offseason with 2020 free-agency in mind. So much for that.
Shepard should play outside with his speed and burst scores. Tate is 31, it's got to be Shepard.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:51 pm

Dunno about his real football chances, but I like this for Shepard's fantasy production. I'll throw an over under line for the upcoming season for him at 75, 1,050, 6TD's. Very attainable if he plays the whole season, even with Tate, Engram and Saquon's getting touches. That production should put him in the mid-WR2 range. Feels like all those years of loyalty to Eli and being a good soldier are about to be rewarded with opportunity.