DK Metcalf is your 1.01 now.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: DK Metcalf is your 1.01 now.

Postby Ice » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:45 pm

D. K is one of the fastest ever for his size. Big Deal
D.K has an incredible vertical for a player his size. Big Deal.

D.k.’s 3 cone was a few hundredths of a second slower than the best and everyone’s hair is on fire.

Can’t wait to watch a 5’10 dB with worse vertical and slower speed try to cover the guy when he can already destroy press coverage better than most professional WR’s today.

Can’t wait to also see the nfl quality db’s try to cover his back shoulder fade in the end zone as he is 40” above the ground stretched out with a Huge advantage over the majority of NFL players.

Silly argument, the group think on the 3 cone is comical
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:40 pm

Ice wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:45 pm D. K is one of the fastest ever for his size. Big Deal
D.K has an incredible vertical for a player his size. Big Deal.

D.k.’s 3 cone was a few hundredths of a second slower than the best and everyone’s hair is on fire.

Can’t wait to watch a 5’10 dB with worse vertical and slower speed try to cover the guy when he can already destroy press coverage better than most professional WR’s today.

Can’t wait to also see the nfl quality db’s try to cover his back shoulder fade in the end zone as he is 40” above the ground stretched out with a Huge advantage over the majority of NFL players.

Silly argument, the group think on the 3 cone is comical
Someone needs to work on their decimals, lol.
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:04 pm

If you really understand the in-depth evaluations pro scouts do you would already know what his 3 cone was in high school.

While he may never become Julio, we haven’t seen a player as close to Julio athletically until D.K.

Btw, anyone who thought Julio was a great runner coming out is clouded by time.

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:27 pm

Ice wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:04 pm If you really understand the in-depth evaluations pro scouts do you would already know what his 3 cone was in high school.

While he may never become Julio, we haven’t seen a player as close to Julio athletically until D.K.

Btw, anyone who thought Julio was a great runner coming out is clouded by time.
If I remember correctly, Julio nailed every event at thee combine and probably trumped dks career stats in one season. Dk is not Julio and that’s okay. Now that that’s out of the way I don’t worry about Dk athletically, I worry about his lack of production and injuries. Dk is a projection with as incredibly high a ceiling as a floor.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:42 pm

Again, you do not need to be fast or athletic to be a great NFL WR. The fact that Metcalf is certainly doesn't hurt, but it also doesn't make him a good WR either. See Devante Parker, Dorial Green-Beckham, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Donte Moncrief, and countless other size/speed WR's who flopped in the NFL. People do this every year and get way too caught up in straight line speed.

If you do not improve your technical substance as an NFL WR, you will not become elite. And Metcalf will be starting from the basement in that category.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:01 pm

Always like playing fantasy football against owners that worry more about some perceived floor of a player than actual talent of the player.

I have seen it every year now for decades. No doubt there are plenty that see a glass of water as half empty. There are plenty foolishly enough to believe that players are already at their peek when drafted.

The majority get much better once the football career is a full time job with vastly better coaching, conditioning, dietary, and massive film study weekly working on the nuance of beating the opponent.

Players like Metcalf with height, weight, speed, vertical, hand size, and a naturally huge catch radius that already knows how to use his physical gifts in multiple ways typically make an early impact.

These types get much better a few years in as they learn the complexity of the position.

Thinking that he has an incredibly risky floor in the grand scheme is simply not logical.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:19 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:42 pm Again, you do not need to be fast or athletic to be a great NFL WR. The fact that Metcalf is certainly doesn't hurt, but it also doesn't make him a good WR either. See Devante Parker, Dorial Green-Beckham, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Donte Moncrief, and countless other size/speed WR's who flopped in the NFL. People do this every year and get way too caught up in straight line speed.

If you do not improve your technical substance as an NFL WR, you will not become elite. And Metcalf will be starting from the basement in that category.
He needs to run 4 routes well, that's it. I think Brett Kollman may have said the same thing. If he can master those 4 routes, he'll be able to be an elite producer in the right system, barring injury. Assuming he works on the concentration drops, too, of course.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:08 pm

Ice wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:01 pm Always like playing fantasy football against owners that worry more about some perceived floor of a player than actual talent of the player.

I have seen it every year now for decades. No doubt there are plenty that see a glass of water as half empty. There are plenty foolishly enough to believe that players are already at their peek when drafted.

The majority get much better once the football career is a full time job with vastly better coaching, conditioning, dietary, and massive film study weekly working on the nuance of beating the opponent.

Players like Metcalf with height, weight, speed, vertical, hand size, and a naturally huge catch radius that already knows how to use his physical gifts in multiple ways typically make an early impact.

These types get much better a few years in as they learn the complexity of the position.

Thinking that he has an incredibly risky floor in the grand scheme is simply not logical.
What you're saying just isn't true. We can go back to all past rookie classes and show that the majority of rookie picks peak in value on draft day and that a lot of players simply do not improve despite situations setting themselves up to.

Improvement is plausible, but not likely or guaranteed. There is a long list of size, speed, and athletic receivers who earned significant hype but never made the technical improvement to their game to take the next step.

Metcalf's raw route running and pedestrian college production are definite reasons why he is not a high floor player. His upside is huge, but the chances he becomes a star are just as plausible as the chances that he never amounts to much.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:19 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:08 pm
Ice wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:01 pm Always like playing fantasy football against owners that worry more about some perceived floor of a player than actual talent of the player.

What you're saying just isn't true. We can go back to all past rookie classes and show that the majority of rookie picks peak in value on draft day and that a lot of players simply do not improve despite situations setting themselves up to.

Improvement is plausible, but not likely or guaranteed. There is a long list of size, speed, and athletic receivers who earned significant hype but never made the technical improvement to their game to take the next step.

Metcalf's raw route running and pedestrian college production are definite reasons why he is not a high floor player. His upside is huge, but the chances he becomes a star are just as plausible as the chances that he never amounts to much.
I have to agree with this. There's a lot of raw guys that come out, and people say they'll get coached up. This is particularly true for the inaccurate QBs and the large WRs. And most of those guys fall flat on their faces and don't improve squat.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:56 pm

Demaryius Thomas is a good example of an athletic receiver who was only good at a couple routes. He was also worthless until year 3 when he got Peyton Manning.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:02 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:56 pm Demaryius Thomas is a good example of an athletic receiver who was only good at a couple routes. He was also worthless until year 3 when he got Peyton Manning.
Happy Birthday Peyton Manning. 8-)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:03 pm

You know who is going to draft Dk? Da bills.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:11 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:08 pm

I have been breaking down tape for decades now and did it twice in this thread. I have also heard from several here that he is raw in route running. Granted he didn't run every route in college but that is the system. Mike Evans certainly didn't run every route either. The key is the routes they actually did run were solid. The ball tracking skills are obvious.

What I haven't seen or heard from any of you is exactly which routes he is raw at and exactly on tape where he is weak. Put your money where your mouth is and show specific examples of what you see if you think you really have a clue.

So far in this long thread the only person who has shown what he can do with specific time stamp frames is me. NO offense but if you think improvement is plausible but not likely then from my perspective you don't know what you are talking about.

I am speaking from an NFL Perspective.
Maybe you have just limited your comments to fantasy football.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:36 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:56 pm Demaryius Thomas is a good example of an athletic receiver who was only good at a couple routes. He was also worthless until year 3 when he got Peyton Manning.
He was pretty darned good in half a season with Tim Tebow, coming off a torn achilles.

35-745-4 in 7 games with Tebow (counting playoffs) after he moved into the starting lineup.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:00 am

Ice wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:11 pm I have been breaking down tape for decades now and did it twice in this thread. I have also heard from several here that he is raw in route running. Granted he didn't run every route in college but that is the system. Mike Evans certainly didn't run every route either. The key is the routes they actually did run were solid. The ball tracking skills are obvious.

What I haven't seen or heard from any of you is exactly which routes he is raw at and exactly on tape where he is weak. Put your money where your mouth is and show specific examples of what you see if you think you really have a clue.

So far in this long thread the only person who has shown what he can do with specific time stamp frames is me. NO offense but if you think improvement is plausible but not likely then from my perspective you don't know what you are talking about.

I am speaking from an NFL Perspective.
Maybe you have just limited your comments to fantasy football.
I don't know what else to tell you if you believe that every WR who goes into the NFL is likely to improve, when we've just seen countless examples of players who came into the league and haven't improved.

Mike Evans is a different example. He improved his technical skills as a route runner and became one of the top possession receivers in the NFL. But, Evans entered the NFL as a much better prospect than Metcalf. His college production was elite and he dominated the Big 12. Metcalf is entering the NFL as a player who did not dominate in college and who has obvious red flags that lower his floor. Yes, it's possible for Metcalf to improve his game. I've never said that he can't become a competent route runner. I have only said that the chances on paper and on tape don't appear to be favorable because he lacks certain qualities to do speed up the timeline of it.

Also:

Nobody cares how long you've been breaking down tape. You're posting on a dynasty message board just like the rest of us, where opinions are endless and open for debate. Your opinions are not above anyone. If you're really good at scouting players on a professional level, then you're clearly wasting your time here and your analysis isn't separating from the pack. Especially so, since you're trying to downplay any slight flaw of Metcalf but celebrate anything he does well. You're coming off more biased than informative, which makes your "veteran scout" disclaimer even more of a joke.

Let your opinions speak for themselves without having to preface everything with "I've done this for decades and you haven't, so you're wrong." I've given you examples in this thread of games where Metcalf showed raw route running and technique against defenders already and you've brushed them off and hit me with the same "You're wrong, I've been scouting for 20 years!" speech. It's a waste of time for me to go back and bring up game footage examples.