No Dynasty Delorean RB Report??

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Re: No Dynasty Delorean RB Report??

Postby MEuRaH » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:34 am

M-Dub wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:24 amIt’s funny, I’m a metrics/analytics guy by default, but I genuinely LOVE your RB report, mainly because you clearly explain both your background as a coach/scout and the specific traits you look for in a prospect.

Out of curiosity, as an avowed film grinder, how much weight do you personally put into athletic measurables? Like if you had to divide it into percentages, how much stock do you put put into film vs. metrics?
This is a great question. I think I answered it somewhere else already but it bears repeating and I'll try to phrase it better this time around (I was in a rush out the door last time I answered it).

The ONLY point of metrics is to verify what you see on film. That's it. If they don't match up, you have yourself a problem. I gave Sanders my #1 overall ranking, and BOOM, 4.5 40 with tons of other great measurables. Verified.

I gave Justice Hill a speed-only rating only, and BOOM, that's all he really did at the combine. Great 40, great vert & broad jump (which shows he has great burst). Nothing else to note. He simply verified what I saw on tape. Doesn't elevate him at all.

Holyfield I said was quick on his feet, able to sink his hips, but couldn't catch out of the backfield. Not only was his 40 time terrible, but so was his vertical & broad jump, showing that he was neither fast nor quick. Something is wrong there, it doesn't match up. He dropped an easy pass though, so that matched up. :P

So now I gotta look into Holyfield. Did he have a nagging hamstring? Was he sick? Did he put on weight? Or was his tape tom-foolery?

This is why I go through 3 rounds of evaluation. The 1st round is what I expect to have happen. The 2nd round is the adjustment round. The 3rd round is the post-draft round. Usually after round 3, I'm dead on.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:29 pm

M-Dub wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:13 pm
Weknownothing86 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:19 pm
ArrylT wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:01 pm

I think you need to be a life long Patriots fan to join. :ewink:
Im actually only in one league and its a friend league with a bunch of different kind of fans but I get yelled at in there for my never ending Pats fandom too. So none of this is new to me. And ya I just don't enjoy analytics and feel like they are overrated, especially in the ultimate team game like football. Ive been seeing some absolutely insane analytics come up in the last few years and I just marvel at them. To each their own though.
It’s just a really strange position to take. It’s like saying “yeah, I just really don’t like science.” That’s not to say that there’s no such thing as bad analytics (or bad science, for that matter), but the fundamental purpose of analytics is inherently positive: using/interpreting past data to improve future decision making.
Maybe I didn’t make my point correctly. I get the point of analytics but at the same time I’m very wary of them since someone can make analytics say whatever they want to fit their narrative on a certain player. Especially with the sheer amount of new analytics we have now a days. You can find good or bad analytics on almost every player. It’s not that I don’t use them per se, I just trust more from the eye test than from a bunch of stats on paper. Also I 100 percent believe in science but even science can be wrong as you pointed out. And fantasy football is not even close to science, so I don’t really think that’s a good comparison in this case.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:45 pm

Also a key word you are using is interpreting. Everyone interprets things differently that includes analytics, what one person may see as a great analytic to have, the other person may not care at all about it. I trust analytics more in individual sports like baseball than I do in actual team sports like football since you have so many variables that come into play. I was reading a stat for example in which they calculated how many Yards an RB got without the help of the O line, or something like that. And I just thought it was silly. In a game like football every player matters so how can you just not count the o line? How do you know a WR running a route didn’t help the RB get those extra yards? Or a move the QB made? Stuff like that is why i don’t fully trust analytics.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:25 pm

Good point^. This is why when people weigh ypc heavily, I just roll my eyes. Ypc simply depends on way too many variables. It isn’t a be all end all in anyway. I personally sway a bit toward depending on the eye test more. There are just certain important aspects to the game of football that can’t be measured, weighed, or timed. I still turn to analytics to help form a bigger picture or to help with tie breaking.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:39 am

Weknownothing86 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:29 pm
M-Dub wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:13 pm
Weknownothing86 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:19 pm

Im actually only in one league and its a friend league with a bunch of different kind of fans but I get yelled at in there for my never ending Pats fandom too. So none of this is new to me. And ya I just don't enjoy analytics and feel like they are overrated, especially in the ultimate team game like football. Ive been seeing some absolutely insane analytics come up in the last few years and I just marvel at them. To each their own though.
It’s just a really strange position to take. It’s like saying “yeah, I just really don’t like science.” That’s not to say that there’s no such thing as bad analytics (or bad science, for that matter), but the fundamental purpose of analytics is inherently positive: using/interpreting past data to improve future decision making.
Maybe I didn’t make my point correctly. I get the point of analytics but at the same time I’m very wary of them since someone can make analytics say whatever they want to fit their narrative on a certain player. Especially with the sheer amount of new analytics we have now a days. You can find good or bad analytics on almost every player. It’s not that I don’t use them per se, I just trust more from the eye test than from a bunch of stats on paper. Also I 100 percent believe in science but even science can be wrong as you pointed out. And fantasy football is not even close to science, so I don’t really think that’s a good comparison in this case.
I think you might be confusing analytics with metrics. Metrics are the raw data points, like a player’s 40 time or broad jump, that are used in analytics. If someone cherry picks a few specific metrics in order to “prove” to someone else (or perhaps even themself) that they’re “right” about a certain player, I would argue that that’s not analytics at all. That’s just good, old fashioned confirmation bias. That practice certainly does exist in this hobby, and it’s absolutely annoying to hear/read, but I don’t think it’s a reason to dismiss real, useful analytics. Don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater, as they say.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:27 pm

MEuRaH wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:34 am This is why I go through 3 rounds of evaluation. The 1st round is what I expect to have happen. The 2nd round is the adjustment round. The 3rd round is the post-draft round. Usually after round 3, I'm dead on.
That makes a ton of sense - thanks for explaining that. :)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Heartwork
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Heartwork » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Is there anyone that does a WR or TE report? What sources do you all use for WRs and TEs?

12 Team PPR| 1QB, 2RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Super Flex, 2 WRT | 25 Roster | 4 Taxi

QB: Stroud, Murray, Jimmy G
RB: Walker, Bijan Robinson, Pacheco, Charbonnet, Spiller, Abanikanda, Hull
WR: Dell, M. Brown, Smith-Njigba, Downs, Ross, C. Jones, Austin, Palmer
TE: Laporta, McBride, Woods, Turner, Parham
PS:
IR:
'24 Picks: 1.02, 2.12, 3.02, 5.06
'25 Picks: 2nd, (2) 3rds, (2) 4th, 5th

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:30 pm

Heartwork wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:15 pm Is there anyone that does a WR or TE report? What sources do you all use for WRs and TEs?
This guy has done some really interestinrg stuff on WRs.

https://dynastyguruffblog.wordpress.com

Also, as an aside, is your username a reference to the classic Carcass album?
🤘🏿🤘🏿

🦬PRIME🦬
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert

Hull Awaits

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:43 pm

Heartwork wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:15 pm Is there anyone that does a WR or TE report? What sources do you all use for WRs and TEs?
Been working on those. It’s not nearly as straight forward as rbs. The WR one seems promising though.

Heartwork
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Heartwork » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:51 pm

M-Dub wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:30 pm

🤘🏿🤘🏿
Wow. Never in a million years would I have thought anyone would know where my username came from. I used to listen to them all the time. I think I'll play them on Spotify now!

12 Team PPR| 1QB, 2RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Super Flex, 2 WRT | 25 Roster | 4 Taxi

QB: Stroud, Murray, Jimmy G
RB: Walker, Bijan Robinson, Pacheco, Charbonnet, Spiller, Abanikanda, Hull
WR: Dell, M. Brown, Smith-Njigba, Downs, Ross, C. Jones, Austin, Palmer
TE: Laporta, McBride, Woods, Turner, Parham
PS:
IR:
'24 Picks: 1.02, 2.12, 3.02, 5.06
'25 Picks: 2nd, (2) 3rds, (2) 4th, 5th

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:16 pm

Heartwork wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:51 pm
M-Dub wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:30 pm

🤘🏿🤘🏿
Wow. Never in a million years would I have thought anyone would know where my username came from. I used to listen to them all the time. I think I'll play them on Spotify now!
Heh. Keep on rotting in the free world, brother.

🦬PRIME🦬

Hull Awaits

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:39 pm

I will post a highly detailed analytical QB Report the day of the NFL Draft based on my newly minted proprietary formula CultAnalytics™.

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:01 am

MEuRaH wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:13 pm Appreciate the feedback. I always countered DDs post with harsh opinions but that might be because I was jealous. :twisted:

We also need someone to do WR, QB, and possibly TE. I know very little about judging the quality of those players.
I posted my pre-combine WR report last year. I might get back around to it this year. I just haven't been around here much anymore.