Importance of QB depth in a SuperFlex (10Tm)

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Importance of QB depth in a SuperFlex (10Tm)

Postby Prison_Mike » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:48 pm

First a general question, then my specific situation:

1st time SuperFlexer here (currently mid startup).
I’m trying to gauge the importance of QB depth, specifically in a 10 team league.

I feel like the QB spots are easier to fill in a 10 team league. Is this true? Do they lose value for that reason? (Maybe that’s why QBs haven’t been overly valued in my current draft & continue to fall)

For reference, here’s my roster through round 10:
(in order)

DeAndre Hopkins
Andrew Luck
James Conner
Keenan Allen
Carson Wentz
David Njoku
Matt Ryan
Tevin Coleman
Christian Kirk
Mark Ingram

I currently have the 11.6, 11.10, & 12.4 coming up

Now the question: I could use RB/WR depth and I’m on the clock. Jordan Howard is the last viable RB2/3 available.

But Dak & Josh Allen are sitting there...

I feel like that value in a superflex are too good to pass up, but at the same time, I already have 3QBs and like I said, I’m not sure how much value the position loses in a 10 team league

(If I take Howard now, one of the 2 QBs will likely still be there at 11.10 btw)

Sorry for the novel lol
Thoughts/advice greatly appreciated!
Team 1:
12-team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker, Jimmy G, Mariota, DTR
RB: Taylor, Saquon, Javonte, Conner, C.Evans, TDP
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Olave, Diggs, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Woods, Kraft
'24 picks: 1.08, 3.05

Team 2:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Mahomes, Allen, Russ
RB: Breece, JT, Swift, Javonte, Mostert, Zamir
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Nico, Kupp, Hollywood, Kirk, MT
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Woods
'24 picks: 4.01

Team 3:
QB: Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Z.Wilson, DTR
RB: Saquon, Swift, Achane, Kamara, Ford
WR: Jefferson, AJB, ARSB, Nico, Diontae, OBJ
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Fant, Woods
'24 picks: 4.08, 4.12, 5.12

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Importance of QB depth in a SuperFlex (10Tm)

Postby honcho55 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:38 am

Only ever played 12 man for SF. I don’t have too much interest in doing 14+ with it but it’s doable, and yes: QBs gain even more value. Stands to reason in a 10er they have a little less. I’d still happily stock up on em.

With the info provided, I’d be taking Allen there. 3 solid QBs is my minimum in SF, Allen is an awesome QB4 stash imo
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:29 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:48 pm First a general question, then my specific situation:

1st time SuperFlexer here (currently mid startup).
I’m trying to gauge the importance of QB depth, specifically in a 10 team league.

I feel like the QB spots are easier to fill in a 10 team league. Is this true? Do they lose value for that reason? (Maybe that’s why QBs haven’t been overly valued in my current draft & continue to fall)

For reference, here’s my roster through round 10:
(in order)

DeAndre Hopkins
Andrew Luck
James Conner
Keenan Allen
Carson Wentz
David Njoku
Matt Ryan
Tevin Coleman
Christian Kirk
Mark Ingram

I currently have the 11.6, 11.10, & 12.4 coming up

Now the question: I could use RB/WR depth and I’m on the clock. Jordan Howard is the last viable RB2/3 available.

But Dak & Josh Allen are sitting there...

I feel like that value in a superflex are too good to pass up, but at the same time, I already have 3QBs and like I said, I’m not sure how much value the position loses in a 10 team league

(If I take Howard now, one of the 2 QBs will likely still be there at 11.10 btw)

Sorry for the novel lol
Thoughts/advice greatly appreciated!

Easy QB here for me as well. Besides the fact I'm not in love with Howard I think QBs just hold their value so much longer and are usually more secure at their position. You should be able to trade a guy like Allen for a lot more than Howard down the road, same goes for Dak imho.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:51 am

You should be going hard on WR's and QB until the end of the draft now. RB is a completely fungible position in dynasty at this position of the draft. The shelf life is 4-6 years, and sometimes that's at best. You've already got "good enough" starters, and you'll probably want to trade for a proper stud RB at some point. And for that? You'll need dynasty ammo. Aka: players with more than 6 years of shelf life remaining.

Get your QB and WR core sorted as a priority for all remaining picks. Mark Ingram was a bit of a wasted pick with young upside QB's still on the board... don't draft thinking that you're assembling your roster now. What you need to do is find value now. You will find new rookie and waiver wire RB's, every year the turnover there is insane.

4-5 QB's in a Superflex is a massive advantage, not just for playing the matchups... you will be happy you read this advice in the future when another team has their starters go down / suddenly turn into a pumpkin. Ask the Alex Smith / Andrew Luck / Garopollo owners of the last couple years who thought they were sitting pretty. QB's in this format are good for 10 years, sometimes longer. You've done great to get 2 of the (probable) top 5 going forward.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:54 am

Piling on. Stock up on QBs if they are falling. This will be the cheapest that you can ever get them -- especially young ones who have flashed.

For me, I'd easily go Dak first. There is little to no doubt that he'll have staying power as a starting QB in the NFL. The jury is out with Allen.

And, if you take Dak now and Allen is still there in the next round, take him, too. 100%.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:04 am

moishetreats wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:54 am Piling on. Stock up on QBs if they are falling. This will be the cheapest that you can ever get them -- especially young ones who have flashed.

For me, I'd easily go Dak first. There is little to no doubt that he'll have staying power as a starting QB in the NFL. The jury is out with Allen.

And, if you take Dak now and Allen is still there in the next round, take him, too. 100%.
100% I never get how people let QB fall when they are made a premium, yet QB have the longest career of the fantasy positions

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:12 am

moishetreats wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:54 am Piling on. Stock up on QBs if they are falling. This will be the cheapest that you can ever get them -- especially young ones who have flashed.

Thanks I took Dak with the 11.6, then Marvin Jones with the 11.10.
Josh Allen is still on the board with 3 picks until my next turn
Team 1:

Team 2:

Team 3:

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:16 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:12 am

Geez they have really fallen... I would've taken Allen wayyyy over Jones. Hopefully you still get him though

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:22 am

Jigga94 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:16 am
Prison_Mike wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:12 am

Geez they have really fallen... I would've taken Allen wayyyy over Jones. Hopefully you still get him though

Yeah I probably fell into the trap of drafting for lineup rather than value since we only have one SF spot and we start 3WR, 2 flex (w/r/t) and 1 flex (w/t)
But it’s a tendency I need to kick lol
Team 1:

Team 2:

Team 3:

jomaed
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jomaed » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:36 pm

3 is sufficient is a 10 teamer IMO. However, you will soon be able to sell the QBs that you take now at a much greater value than you would anyone else. If other owners are letting them fall now, take them and sell them at a higher value when those same owners come begging.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:31 pm

jomaed wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:36 pm 3 is sufficient is a 10 teamer IMO. However, you will soon be able to sell the QBs that you take now at a much greater value than you would anyone else. If other owners are letting them fall now, take them and sell them at a higher value when those same owners come begging.
Stockpiling QBs is great until the rest of the league catches on and blackball you.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:01 pm

slaughterrt wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:31 pm Stockpiling QBs is great until the rest of the league catches on and blackball you.
Sure - except that it also offers the upside of being able to operate from a position of strength with streaming matchups, and makes you nigh-impervious to injury at the most consistently high-scoring position in SF. How exactly do they blackball you, when it's the most stable and important position in this format? If someone else loses a QB, our man will be the guy that can squeeze for the value play. "Good" QB's don't get sold for less than the farm, in this sort of league.

If he's holding 5 QB's - including a possible wild card / stud in Josh Allen - and they're all ranked in the top 15 of the available pool... his value over replacement level is insane. In a start-2 format, 10 teams - that means 20 QB's will be used every week. And he's holding a quarter of them. They can blackball all they like - but there will come a time when an injury will cause an owner in need to form a new plan - I'd sooner hold extra starting QB's that are young than developmental RB's/WR's in this format, any day of the week.

Let's say Allen pulls a Carson Wentz this next season. Unlikely - but also very possible. He will be worth 5x what Mark Ingram is worth at that point as a 30 year old RB. This is what I mean by drafting for value - the ceiling for value variance is infinitely higher with a QB.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:49 am

mild wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:01 pm
slaughterrt wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:31 pm Stockpiling QBs is great until the rest of the league catches on and blackball you.
Sure - except that it also offers the upside of being able to operate from a position of strength with streaming matchups, and makes you nigh-impervious to injury at the most consistently high-scoring position in SF. How exactly do they blackball you, when it's the most stable and important position in this format? If someone else loses a QB, our man will be the guy that can squeeze for the value play. "Good" QB's don't get sold for less than the farm, in this sort of league.

If he's holding 5 QB's - including a possible wild card / stud in Josh Allen - and they're all ranked in the top 15 of the available pool... his value over replacement level is insane. In a start-2 format, 10 teams - that means 20 QB's will be used every week. And he's holding a quarter of them. They can blackball all they like - but there will come a time when an injury will cause an owner in need to form a new plan - I'd sooner hold extra starting QB's that are young than developmental RB's/WR's in this format, any day of the week.

Let's say Allen pulls a Carson Wentz this next season. Unlikely - but also very possible. He will be worth 5x what Mark Ingram is worth at that point as a 30 year old RB. This is what I mean by drafting for value - the ceiling for value variance is infinitely higher with a QB.
Completely agree... People start 2 RB but roster 8, and 4 of which are garbage... People have to start 2 QB and they settle at 3. Not smart business in my opinion