Why do we value in draft picks?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Why do we value in draft picks?

Postby Blueboy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:13 pm

Why care so much about universal accuracy when your valuation of a player comes 100% down to "I think this guy is better than this guy."

FF is much closer to opinions (making sh#t) up than it is to a science.

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:15 pm

Lol. This is going nowhere. Let's just all agree that Elroypedro's method to a subjective endeavor like player valuation is far more "accurate" than the rest of ours and that we are ALL lazy and stubborn, and move on. I'm sure Tuccorox has a post here somewhere that would be a better investment of time.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:19 pm

This really is as simple as , the reason why is it works best for the most people likely ?

When it suites my needs I quote ADP when it suites my needs I refer to rookie pick value and the best and most effective method is to latch onto what works with whomever you are dealing with . There is no perfect way no universal language be like water tread the path with the least resistance .

Startup ADP is generally useless for me as players go late if they are older and higher if they are young - so many managers are building for the future so as to shroud their current incompetence . So many threads will expose this line of thinking as they ask is it time to off load julio or AB or have guys like stefan diggs close to those 2 superstars in ADP why because he is 5 years younger please stop they are not close as I would rather have 2 years of premium wr1 elite than 7 years of whatever the hell diggs is . Even with rbs these days so few are getting 320 or more touches that the
age where they break down is likely to increase and the games has changed to the extent that even the guys that get a ton ( relative ) touches those touches are less just slamming into the line of scrimmage so they should be less taxing in general.
Don't overthink stuff focus your energy into perfecting the current dynamic as opposed to reinventing the wheel .
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:24 pm

Elroypedro you need to convince your league mates not us. If I am in 10 leagues and each has 11 other owners I am not going to change how I value players if the vast majority of owners use rookie picks as the common currency.

In the end I salute you Elroypedro for taking a page out of turcos book and starting a one sided discussion on a topic most people are content not to discuss. The main difference seems to be you are happy to contradict and argue with people for having the audacity to disagree with you. Rather than understand why their opinions are what they ar, you label them stubborn for not agreeing to an idea that makes little sense to most of us.

Yet once again you make grandiose claims about how what you say is "accurate" and it is "fact". But as has been shown previously you do not make any actual attempt to show how this is true.

Feel free to use your method if it works for you. People are not stubborn if they are aware that it is not necessary to fix a clock that is not broken.

Valuing a player versus a rookie pick works perfectly well for myself and the rest of those who have spoken so far. :)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Elroypedro
Starter
Starter

Postby Elroypedro » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:37 pm

ArrylT wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:24 pm Elroypedro you need to convince your league mates not us. If I am in 10 leagues and each has 11 other owners I am not going to change how I value players if the vast majority of owners use rookie picks as the common currency.

In the end I salute you Elroypedro for taking a page out of turcos book and starting a one sided discussion on a topic most people are content not to discuss. The main difference seems to be you are happy to contradict and argue with people for having the audacity to disagree with you. Rather than understand why their opinions are what they ar, you label them stubborn for not agreeing to an idea that makes little sense to most of us.

Yet once again you make grandiose claims about how what you say is "accurate" and it is "fact". But as has been shown previously you do not make any actual attempt to show how this is true.

Feel free to use your method if it works for you. People are not stubborn if they are aware that it is not necessary to fix a clock that is not broken.

Valuing a player versus a rookie pick works perfectly well for myself and the rest of those who have spoken so far. :)
I am actually the only one who has made any real argument, or any argument in good faith, and the only one who has conclusively shown why that argument is true beyond any shadow of a doubt.

The disagreement in this thread is because members of his forum are against change and don’t like being shown that their status quo way of valuing players is not only not optimal but detrimental to their ability to value players well. It hurts them.

The ONLY other argument made in this thread in good faith against what I have laid out clearly and conclusively is that it isn’t as easy. I have also shown how ridiculously easy it would be, so that is a bad argument.

I don’t “need” to convince anyone. I am helping by pointing out this obvious fact that the premise of this thread is based on. And I am continuing to get trolled and personally attacked here for posting this insight, because members here don’t like to have light shown on their shortcomings and shown that what they’ve been doing for years or longer has been sloppy, lazy, and inaccurate.
Team 1
10 team .5 PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: McCaffery, Guice, D Williams, Breida, Drake, Penny, S Ware, R Jones, J Adams, I Smith
WR: A Brown, Jeffery, Robinson, Ridley, Pettis, Miller, Shepard, Callaway, MVS, Washington
TE: Kelce, Herndon

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

*2018 Champ*

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:38 pm

I wish I could give you advice right now but I need to get home first, open up my excel spreadsheets, check player news and update my rankings first. Then I need to convert those rankings to rookie draft pick values.

Elroypedro
Starter
Starter

Postby Elroypedro » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:43 pm

Because the trolls are deep into this thread and actively trying to muddy waters and drag this thread down into the gutter with them in bad faith, here again is the simple premise:

Valuing players by rookie draft picks is wildly subjective and inaccurate. The main argument for doing it this way is laziness and maintaining status quo.

Valuing players based on an entire ranking of players + picks together is much less susceptible to subjectivity and is much more accurate. The argument for this is obvious, that it is clearly a better and more useful valuation process, and it takes minimally more work than the much worse process.
Team 1

RB: McCaffery, Guice, D Williams, Breida, Drake, Penny, S Ware, R Jones, J Adams, I Smith
WR: A Brown, Jeffery, Robinson, Ridley, Pettis, Miller, Shepard, Callaway, MVS, Washington

Picks:
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

*2018 Champ*

Elroypedro
Starter
Starter

Postby Elroypedro » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:43 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:38 pm I wish I could give you advice right now but I need to get home first, open up my excel spreadsheets, check player news and update my rankings first. Then I need to convert those rankings to rookie draft pick values.
Please don’t post in this thread if all you are going to do is troll.
Team 1

Picks:
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

*2018 Champ*

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:45 pm

ADP is can be misleading, also, because we don't all play the same formats. I play in a league that starts 3 RB minimum, another where I start only 1 minimum. Some I need to start 2 WR, other 3 etc. This definitely affects where players get drafted in startups. ADP is a solid foundation on where to gauge value, but's its certainly not the bible.

For instance, the value of Nick Chubb relative to Deandre Hopkins in my start 3 RB league is much closer than the value of Nick Chubb compared to Deandre Hopkins in my start 1 RB league. ADP can help to an extent, and I certainly use it, but things need to be adjusted based on format and starting requirements, so it's a bit of an inexact science, because DLF's rankings, and others, don't account for a bunch of different starting requirements.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Elroypedro
Starter
Starter

Postby Elroypedro » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:51 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:45 pm ADP is can be misleading, also, because we don't all play the same formats. I play in a league that starts 3 RB minimum, another where I start only 1 minimum. Some I need to start 2 WR, other 3 etc. This definitely affects where players get drafted in startups. ADP is a solid foundation on where to gauge value, but's its certainly not the bible.

For instance, the value of Nick Chubb relative to Deandre Hopkins in my start 3 RB league is much closer than the value of Nick Chubb compared to Deandre Hopkins in my start 1 RB league. ADP can help to an extent, and I certainly use it, but things need to be adjusted based on format and starting requirements, so it's a bit of an inexact science, because DLF's rankings, and others, don't account for a bunch of different starting requirements.
Yes very true. But this problem exists the same and is not solved in any way by valuing players in terms of rookie picks. And yes true again, it is not the Bible, or perfect or anything. Just much better than the current status quo that is a pretty objectively abysmal way of valuing players
Team 1

Picks:
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

*2018 Champ*

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:59 pm

Elroypedro wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:51 pm
Yes very true. But this problem exists the same and is not solved in any way by valuing players in terms of rookie picks. And yes true again, it is not the Bible, or perfect or anything. Just much better than the current status quo that is a pretty objectively abysmal way of valuing players
Do you have any sort of data that shows using the ADP to value players is a better way than another? Does using ADP show a strong correlation to success/championships in FF? Is there data out there that shows a correlation in using ADP over another system lending itself to having more RB1, WR1, QB1s on your roster?

If you answered no to all of the above, then your argument is an opinion. You are trying to state your opinion as gospel and that all sinners should be running to the river to be baptized.

Elroypedro
Starter
Starter

Postby Elroypedro » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:05 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:59 pm
Elroypedro wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:51 pm
Do you have any sort of data that shows using the ADP to value players is a better way than another? Does using ADP show a strong correlation to success/championships in FF? Is there data out there that shows a correlation in using ADP over another system lending itself to having more RB1, WR1, QB1s on your roster?

If you answered no to all of the above, then your argument is an opinion. You are trying to state your opinion as gospel and that all sinners should be running to the river to be baptized.
It is self-evident and inherent in the argument. By being more granular it makes the valuation more specific and accurate. 300 data points are better than 3 dozen are better than 1. This is basic fact.

You may want to ask yourself why you are so vehemently against this despite having no cogent argument to back your idea, whether backed by data, logic, or even rhetoric.
Team 1

Picks:
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

*2018 Champ*

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:18 pm

Rookie draft picks are the easiest way to compare value because they are the primary currency in dynasty leagues. What you're proposing is that instead of stores selling a gallon of milk for $2 USD, stores should price it as 0.00000038% of the US annual GDP.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:19 pm

Something important to keep in mind, especially on a forum or social media, is that people are seeking quick opinions and are giving quick answers. People aren't going to go through the process of looking up their specific and personal ADP of a player to player comparison (assuming they even go through the likely unnecessary task of creating and maintaining an up-to-date list at all times). Giving a general range of value, or which provides useful and accepted 'buckets' of range, works better to give opinion and gain a general understanding by which a person can determine value. Frankly, if someone is so detailed as to have a list then they shouldn't even need to ask for others opinions. For those that do want that level of comparison, they can just look at the already available ADP information, and why even ask for opinions?

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:21 pm

I am right you are wrong so suck it that seems very cooganish the emoji king is channeling himself through our new boy elpedroy
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci