Sell
42%

Total votes: 205

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: Buy Or Sell D'Onta Foreman?

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:26 pm

He's a fine buy if he's cheap enough. I think the owner in my league wants to pretend he's lost no value since he drafted him, though.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:38 pm

moishetreats wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:24 am IMO, he's a must-buy.

Last off-season, I bought/drafted/traded for James Conner in every single league. Not because I was prescient enough to believe that he would be the starter all season. Rather, because I saw the opportunity, however remote, that he could be the lead back of one of the most productive offenses for some number of games in 2018. That possibility was well worth the incredibly cheap cost-of-acquisition -- and that upside is far greater than anything that I could have gotten instead with those assets or draft picks.

Foreman is in the same situation. IMO, the odds of him coming into 2019 as the lead back, remaining the lead back in 2019, and being relatively productive (i.e., RB2 or more) are remote. But, the possibility is undeniably there. In most cases, the acquisition cost is minimal. That makes him a must-buy -- and an easy and no-big-deal cut if things don't fall into place.
Unfortunately many owners do not have the capacity/imagination/intelligence to project that or understand your argument fully.
Last edited by ArrylT on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:47 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:26 pm He's a fine buy if he's cheap enough. I think the owner in my league wants to pretend he's lost no value since he drafted him, though.
That obviously depends on where he was drafted. My guess is that most Foreman shares were drafted in the mid-late 2nd through early 3rd - I know mine were (I have 3 shares). Considering so many people feel the 2019 RB class is "meh" - I do not see a real reason why an owner should sell for less value.

For example - of my 3 shares Foreman is like RB5-6 on teams that are pretty solid at RB. Why would I need to sell him for like a 4th in a 'down class' for someone who may not even be my RB5-6. And if an owner is weak at RB, selling him for that is also a mistake since the odds the player that they draft is actually worse than Foremans odds, even post injury.
Last edited by ArrylT on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:48 pm

I no longer own Foreman, but I’m still rooting for him based on his personal story. That said, this statement is pretty worrisome about his outlook ... especially the “took forever” part. Coming from a coach that is a huge negative.

Texans coach Bill O'Brien said D'Onta Foreman remains in the team's plans.
"Obviously a very talented guy, but it took him forever to come back from his injury," O'Brien said. "So, hopefully with a good offseason, here's a guy that can really be an excellent player. I have a lot of belief in his ability. I think he's somebody that can help us." Foreman was active for just two games after coming back from Achilles surgery. He flashed as a rookie before going down and the Texans have got inconsistent production the last three seasons from Lamar Miller. Foreman remains a hold in dynasty leagues.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:08 pm

ArrylT wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:47 pm That obviously depends on where he was drafted. My guess is that most Foreman shares were drafted in the mid-late 2nd through early 3rd
#14th pick in the 2017 rookie-draft. Iirc, late 1st / early-2nd was about his ADP by the first week of August that year.

I do recall claims of Foreman going as late as the 3rd earlier in that offseason, but apparently his ADP climbed in the following months; I know those focused exclusively on metrics (i.e. speed-score, college production) rated him very highly in that class.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:02 pm

I currently rate Foreman as the 47th RB or 146th overall best dynasty asset in a 1QB league which would put him at a late 2nd round pick in this years draft. So anything less than that would be a buy.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:13 am

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports ... 713102.php

Article talks about Foreman's current condition and the struggles he had last year returning from injury. Cites Foreman's off-season work ethic and his leaner physique, dieting, and his achilles strengthening training.

While I hope the guy makes it back and has a career the odds are against him recovering from what is essentially a career ending injury majority of the time for RB's. I fully anticipate Houston drafting another RB and adding to their desired committee approach, per the GM's quote.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:28 am

I think he has a strong chance to have an Isaiah Crowell, Carlos Hyde type of career. In the league for awhile, never a difference maker, most of the time not even close to a bellcow - but, maybe a year or 2 where he gets 200 touches and is a usable RB2?
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:21 pm

I'd pay a high 4th. Won't do a 3rd. I doubt the Texans are counting on him now, and are actively considering other options for the backfield's future. He'll have to earn a promotion with play. If he doesn't, I suspect his spot on the roster will be in jeopardy next offseason.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:41 pm

If I'm selling, I'd need a late 2nd. If I'm buying, I wouldn't pay more than a 3rd.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:59 pm

So if you're selling Foreman you do not want Houston to draft anyone to increase his perceived value, but if you are buying Foreman you hope they draft someone (preferably a guy you do not like) so to decrease his perceived value.

Regardless any time a player gets injured like that I for one hope that they can make it all the way back.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:47 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:13 am https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports ... 713102.php

Article talks about Foreman's current condition and the struggles he had last year returning from injury. Cites Foreman's off-season work ethic and his leaner physique, dieting, and his achilles strengthening training.

While I hope the guy makes it back and has a career the odds are against him recovering from what is essentially a career ending injury majority of the time for RB's. I fully anticipate Houston drafting another RB and adding to their desired committee approach, per the GM's quote.
I've been bullish on Foreman in this thread before. That article was exactly what I was hoping to see.

I'm sure they will try draft someone else - but I don't see a day 2-3 RB in this draft that's going to make Foreman redundant competing for the GL and early-downs role. Foreman is a freakin' hammer when he's right. And this report, about how it made him completely reevaluate his life and training routine? That, right there, is exactly what I wanted to hear. I think he's coming back with a mission mindset.

For how little he costs, and for the potential of any RB in a Deshaun Watson led offense, I think he's easily worth a late 2nd shot. I'd pay that right now, if I didn't already own him.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:08 pm

I have him and no interest in selling him. His market value is low. His potential is quite a bit higher than market.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:14 pm

My league is 100% auction. No draft for rookies so no trading for picks. Looking at ADP data (not a perfect way to gage player value, but the best readily available) I could trade for Quincy Enunwa (maybe, but our nothing special offense just got crowded with targets), Kalen Ballage, Marquise Lee, Agholor, Ajayi, Chris Thompson, Jamison Crowder... Thanks, but I will take Foreman's potential upside. A look at DLF RB ranks offers similarly uninspiring names.

We have dodged FA so far, I am holding...
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

zoster80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby zoster80 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:07 am

Now that Blue signed with Jax, Foreman's arrow looks to be pointing up....hopefully
Zo Nasty -12 Teams, PPR, 30 players - Keep 24
Start QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex, K, DST

QB: Herbert, B Young
RB: Bijan, Warren, Z Moss, K Ingram, J kelley
WR: D London, Z Flowers, JSN, J Reed, QJ G Davis, Gallup, DPJ, M Mims, J Metchie, W Robinson, J Tolbert, J Jennings
TE: J Ferguson Fant, J Johnson, Gesicki
DST: Colts NE
K: Butker

2024 Picks
2025 Picks

QB: Burrow Dobbs, R Wilson, Stidham, Carr,
RB: CMC, Hall, K Walker, Swift, M Sanders M Carter, K Gainwell, CEH, Hunt, C Evans, E Wilson, P Taylor, D Johnson,
WR: DJM, Metcalf, AJ Brown, Hopkins, M Gallup, Chark, T Scott, P Washington, G Dortch, J Watson, R Woods
TE: M Andrews, Fant , Hudson, Higbee, L Thomas, J Johnson,
DST: SF, PHI

TAXI:
C Jones, B Strange, J Shorter, W Levis
2024 Picks
4.11,5.11,6.05, 6.11[/size]
2025 Picks
2026 Picks