Auction start up logistics

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
zdhaugen
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Auction start up logistics

Postby zdhaugen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:24 pm

I like the idea of having an auction draft for our start up so that people can land who they want vs having to depend on draft slot. However, I have a lot of questions/things I am worried about. 75% of my league has no experience at all in auctions. Will this make it difficult to have a far competitive draft? Also will almost 300 players being drafted how long will it take to actually hold this draft? It feels like it would get difficult to draft for that long straight. We will be doing an online draft not in person. I would love your feedback on how to make the start up draft the best possible based on your experience.
Team 1: Single qb tiered ppr league 22 man base roster plus 2 taxi squad spots and 2 IR spots; 2 flex:
Qb: B. Mayfield, J. Goff, J. Winston
Rb: J. Mixon, CEH, J.K. Dobbins, K. Hunt, K. Johnson, G. Bernard, G. Edwards, L. Bowden
Wr: Aj Brown, O. Beckham, C. Kupp, C. Sutton, J. Reagor, T. Higgins, M. Pittman
TE: D. Goedert, Jonnu Smith, Mike Gesicki, OJ Howard, H. Bryant, C. Herndon
2022: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Team 2: SF/TE Premium PPR league 22 man roster start 2 rb, 2 wr, 2 flex (not including SF spot):
Qb: Fields, Lance, M. Jones, J. Goff
Rb: J. Mixon, A. Ekeler, T. Etienne, D. Henderson, D. Evans, J. White, J. Doaks
Wr: DJ Moore, Juju, Sutton, R. Bateman, E. Moore, B. Edwards, J. Meyers, B. Perriman
TE: M. Andrews, A. Trautman, G. Everett
2021: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: Auction start up logistics

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:13 pm

I don't think having a lot of newbies to an auction will affect the competitiveness of the league. You'll have a lot of fun and get the most fair distribution of players.

The auction will start slow as the big ticket players are up and take the most bids, then it will speed up. Towards the end it will be closer to a draft than an auction as there will be very little money left to outbid the initial bid. I'd say it'll take over 3 hours.

I recommend pausing the auction every 45 minutes or so to take a ten minute break. Let's people stretch and digest how it's all going.

I also recommend doing it in person, but if you can't, online is good too.

What site are you using to run the auction?
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

zdhaugen
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby zdhaugen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I just don't want the more experienced owners to get any extra advantage, but that is good to know from your experience. The >3 hour time guess is helpful, as that is what I wanted to know. I like the idea of having breaks in the middle to relax and chat. I would love to do it in person, but we have moved all around the country so it just isn't possible.
Not sure what we are using yet. We will be running the league through Sleeper. They told me that they plan on rolling out an auction availability later this off season. If it doesn't come together we will use MFL and then just roll the league over to Sleeper after the draft.
Team 1: Single qb tiered ppr league 22 man base roster plus 2 taxi squad spots and 2 IR spots; 2 flex:
Rb: J. Mixon, CEH, J.K. Dobbins, K. Hunt, K. Johnson, G. Bernard, G. Edwards, L. Bowden

Team 2: SF/TE Premium PPR league 22 man roster start 2 rb, 2 wr, 2 flex (not including SF spot):
Wr: DJ Moore, Juju, Sutton, R. Bateman, E. Moore, B. Edwards, J. Meyers, B. Perriman

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:00 pm

1) It will take longer than 3 hours. It is a deep roster. And there will be occasional glitches in the system, or you'll have the "my computer froze, and I wanted to bid more" reality, and the ten-minute breaks will be 15. It won't be eternal, but I would budget closer to 4 or 4 1/2 hours. Remember: it's the inaugural auction, so better to do it right than quick.

2) Don't worry about the inequity of experience. That's the case in every league. One player is a veteran, one is new. Three guys play together in another league. Half the league has never done IDP. Seven guys have played 2QB before. It's never entirely equitable in terms of experience. Not to worry. Just give them opportunities to do a couple of mock options.

Just to be clear, though, I LOVE the idea of a start-up auction. Love it!! Just wanted to make sure that you weren't under any illusions.

One other note: As commish, it will be a challenge for you. A snake draft you can always just pause if you need to. Yes, you can pause an auction, but there are many more moving parts. Let people know beforehand that you might need to call a couple of commish time-outs. You're entitled to reset your personal auction notes if need be while potentially attending to commish duties (i.e., texts, private questions and chats to you, etc.).

Bottom line: Have fun. It's a blast!!!!
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

zdhaugen
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby zdhaugen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:55 pm

moishetreats....thanks for the response. Realism is exactly what I need. I figured if we do this I would take a Saturday in July, and say we start right after lunch and you will see your families for later dinner. Couple questions. Would you advise that multiple bids can be placed at the same time or should I do one player at a time? Also is there anywhere you can do free mock drafts for dynasty auctions?

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:58 pm

moishetreats wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:00 pm 1) It will take longer than 3 hours. It is a deep roster. And there will be occasional glitches in the system, or you'll have the "my computer froze, and I wanted to bid more" reality, and the ten-minute breaks will be 15. It won't be eternal, but I would budget closer to 4 or 4 1/2 hours. Remember: it's the inaugural auction, so better to do it right than quick.

2) Don't worry about the inequity of experience. That's the case in every league. One player is a veteran, one is new. Three guys play together in another league. Half the league has never done IDP. Seven guys have played 2QB before. It's never entirely equitable in terms of experience. Not to worry. Just give them opportunities to do a couple of mock options.

Just to be clear, though, I LOVE the idea of a start-up auction. Love it!! Just wanted to make sure that you weren't under any illusions.

One other note: As commish, it will be a challenge for you. A snake draft you can always just pause if you need to. Yes, you can pause an auction, but there are many more moving parts. Let people know beforehand that you might need to call a couple of commish time-outs. You're entitled to reset your personal auction notes if need be while potentially attending to commish duties (i.e., texts, private questions and chats to you, etc.).

Bottom line: Have fun. It's a blast!!!!
x2. Startup auction is the way to go. It'll definitely take 3+ hours.

It's been years, but MFL's auction setup was awful when we tried it. Granted it was still in beta. Use ESPN and just transfer rosters. It's an easy process. ESPN's auction is smooth and nice on the eyes. I'm not sure if you can draft picks using ESPN, but if you draft rookies separately it works perfectly.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

zdhaugen
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby zdhaugen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:27 pm

It's been years, but MFL's auction setup was awful when we tried it. Granted it was still in beta. Use ESPN and just transfer rosters. It's an easy process. ESPN's auction is smooth and nice on the eyes. I'm not sure if you can draft picks using ESPN, but if you draft rookies separately it works perfectly.
[/quote]

Thanks for the response. I haven't heard much about ESPN platform for dynasty auction. The only thing I notice when I look it up are that you can't configure it to bid on multiple players at the same time, and they have max numbers on how many players you can own for a certain position. Can you do mock auctions on there for like full 26 round drafts to test it out?

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:31 pm

This is funny- I'm debating these same things as I debate putting together a dynasty auction online. I was imagining having each owner nominate a player. Never done an auction- does having 12 active bids at once work?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:39 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:31 pm This is funny- I'm debating these same things as I debate putting together a dynasty auction online. I was imagining having each owner nominate a player. Never done an auction- does having 12 active bids at once work?
I dont think that would work the best. Say the total budget is 500 and there are 12 names up to start... you could want all of those guys, but it depends on if you land one or the other... say you want Zeke or Barkley and Julio or AB... all 4 are up at the same time, and you are trying to bid on each but end up with both RB or neither as all the timers would likely expire at different times(?)

It's a cool thought, not sure if feasible though. To OP, definitely do an auction to start and read up on the strategies there. I always enjoy throwing up a mix of players I dont want early on to see if people will overbid early on. I'd recommend splitting the draft into 2 days also. I'd do 100 the first day as the top players will take longer and the last 200 will be shorter bids and people will just be filling out rosters at that time. Good luck!

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:45 pm

zdhaugen wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:27 pm It's been years, but MFL's auction setup was awful when we tried it. Granted it was still in beta. Use ESPN and just transfer rosters. It's an easy process. ESPN's auction is smooth and nice on the eyes. I'm not sure if you can draft picks using ESPN, but if you draft rookies separately it works perfectly.
Thanks for the response. I haven't heard much about ESPN platform for dynasty auction. The only thing I notice when I look it up are that you can't configure it to bid on multiple players at the same time, and they have max numbers on how many players you can own for a certain position. Can you do mock auctions on there for like full 26 round drafts to test it out?
[/quote]

Like i said it's been some years since I've used either, but ESPN you can adjust settings pretty well. Not sure if you can bid on multiple players at once. Honestly, i wouldn't want to do that anyways. Just seems messy and would lead to more headache than the time saved is worth. When i did it last, there wasnt a function to add future rookie picks. Aside from that it worked really well for us and we drafted over 400 players.
16 team league

zdhaugen
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby zdhaugen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:59 pm

say you want Zeke or Barkley and Julio or AB... all 4 are up at the same time, and you are trying to bid on each but end up with both RB or neither as all the timers would likely expire at different times(?)

It's a cool thought, not sure if feasible though. To OP, definitely do an auction to start and read up on the strategies there. I always enjoy throwing up a mix of players I dont want early on to see if people will overbid early on. I'd recommend splitting the draft into 2 days also. I'd do 100 the first day as the top players will take longer and the last 200 will be shorter bids and people will just be filling out rosters at that time. Good luck!
[/quote]

These are great points about having bids on guys you might not ultimately want. I also like the idea of two days,but would have to find two days that work for everyone and are close together. It can be hard enough to find one sometimes. Do you have any favorite resources for dynasty auction research?

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:37 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:39 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:31 pm This is funny- I'm debating these same things as I debate putting together a dynasty auction online. I was imagining having each owner nominate a player. Never done an auction- does having 12 active bids at once work?
I dont think that would work the best. Say the total budget is 500 and there are 12 names up to start... you could want all of those guys, but it depends on if you land one or the other... say you want Zeke or Barkley and Julio or AB... all 4 are up at the same time, and you are trying to bid on each but end up with both RB or neither as all the timers would likely expire at different times(?)

I came to the same conclusion- simultaneous bidding sounds cool but would be a potential nightmare. I'm thinking the auction draft won't be live but will span days or even weeks. Debating how long a player would be up for bid. Can't seem to find good articles/threads on startup auction tips.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:41 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:37 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:39 pm

I came to the same conclusion- simultaneous bidding sounds cool but would be a potential nightmare. I'm thinking the auction draft won't be live but will span days or even weeks. Debating how long a player would be up for bid. Can't seem to find good articles/threads on startup auction tips.
MFL's auction was set up for multiple bids back when i did it. It was a complete sh!tshow when we tried it.
16 team league

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:41 pm

I’m also in the process of starting a new salary cap dynasty league. It seems to me that the easiest way to do it would be to make the auction budget the same amount as the salary cap. Whatever the winning bid is on a given player becomes his annual salary. After the auction concludes, owners would have a week or so to determine the various contract lengths. Does this make sense, or am I missing something?

I’ve also wondered how it works when you get down to the end and everyone only has enough to bid the minimum on the remaining guys. If you let owners nominate, do you do the nominations in a snaking pattern? That seems like it’d be the fairest way to do it, since it basically turns into a snake draft at the end, right?
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:50 pm

zdhaugen wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:55 pm moishetreats....thanks for the response. Realism is exactly what I need. I figured if we do this I would take a Saturday in July, and say we start right after lunch and you will see your families for later dinner. Couple questions. Would you advise that multiple bids can be placed at the same time or should I do one player at a time? Also is there anywhere you can do free mock drafts for dynasty auctions?
You're welcome!

Great idea about taking an afternoon in July. Perfect.

DEFINITELY do only one player at a time. There can be a use for multiple simultaneous players (I'm in one league with that), but no way for a start-up.

As for mocks, I don't have a place off-hand (maybe others here do). I'd just do a Google search. (Note: You might only find mock auctions for a redraft rather than a dynasty. So be it. Not a big deal. It's more about getting a feel for doing an auction, the pacing, etc.)

Have fun!!
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --