Best method for trades?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Best method for trades?

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:00 pm

What have you guys found to be the best method for trades of the following options?

- Send out offers without prior discussion

- Direct message owner to work out a deal

- Utilize league Trade Block

(Obviously it could be a combination of more than one option. But what’s your go-to?)
Team 1:
12-team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker, Jimmy G, Mariota, DTR
RB: Taylor, Saquon, Javonte, Conner, C.Evans, TDP
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Olave, Diggs, Diontae, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Woods, Kraft
'24 picks: 1.08, 3.05

Team 2:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Mahomes, Allen, Russ
RB: Breece, JT, Swift, Javonte, Mostert, Zamir
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Nico, Kupp, Hollywood, Kirk, MT
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Woods
'24 picks: 4.01

Team 3:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Z.Wilson, DTR
RB: Saquon, Swift, Achane, Kamara, Ford
WR: Jefferson, AJB, ARSB, Nico, Diontae, OBJ
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Fant, Woods
'24 picks: 4.08, 4.12, 5.12

FantasyFreakGuru
Starter
Starter

Re: Best method for trades?

Postby FantasyFreakGuru » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:02 pm

usually just send the offer of the player I want, with no return. But in the message I post "Intrested in acquiring, whats your asking price" then that usually kicks deals off.
12 team league (Year One) Updated Week 14 2018 Season
DYNASTY GIANTS - 1pt PPR League Qb, Rb, Rb, Wr, Wr, Te, Flex (WR/RB/TE) K, D
Team Name: Keep It Green

QB-Cam Newton, Marcus Mariota
RB- Christian McCaffrey, Aaron Jones, Tarik Cohen, Adrian Peterson, Peyton Barber
WR- Keenan Allen, Tyreek Hill, Doug Baldwin, Nelson Agholor, Marvin Jones, Dede Westbrook, John Brown, Taywan Taylor
TE-Austin Hooper, Jimmy Graham, Ian Thomas
K&DEF- Matchup Stream Weekly
2019 pick Early 2nd, Late 2nd, Late 3rd, Late 4th
------------------------------------

PPE82
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby PPE82 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:12 pm

FantasyFreakGuru wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:02 pm usually just send the offer of the player I want, with no return. But in the message I post "Intrested in acquiring, whats your asking price" then that usually kicks deals off.
Please don't do that. Incredibly annoying. Perhaps sarcastic post and I missed it?
Team 1
12 Team, SF, PPR, TEP (2PPR)
1-2QB, 2-6RB, 2-6WR, 1-5TE
10 starters, 28 roster spots

Kyler Murray, Rudolph, Brissett, Brady
Keaton Mitchell, scrubs
Jefferson, Lamb, Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Dotson, Josh Palmer, Rashid Shaheed, Toney, Justyn Ross, Metchie, Ronnie Bell
Pitts, Likely
2024 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 2.09, 4.02, 4.12

Team 2
12 Team, SF, PPR, TEP (2PPR)
1-2QB, 2-5RB, 3-6WR, 1-4TE
10 starters, 28 roster spots

Lawrence, Richardson, Young, Mac Jones, Lance, Brady, Bennnet, Haener
Bijan, Charbonnet, Strong Jr., scrubs
Wilson, Nacua, Flowers, Downs, Wicks, Renfrow, Ross, Bell, Metchie
Pitts, Woods
2024 Picks: 1.02, 1.05, 1.06, 1.11, 3.05, 3.06, 3.09, 4.02, 4.09

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:21 pm

I like to text. I have gotten some offers I find insulting and it just start things out on the wrong foot. I don't like to do that to owners so I text them about a trade first and if they say "Heck no you are crazy" than that's fine.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:22 pm

Every manager is different. The ones I trade with regularly I open with asking if the player I want is available for trade (nobody ever uses the trade block). If yes then I see what they need or what works for both sides. Then I ... well thats usually where talks end 99% of the time lol. Most want my guys at a big discount since I approached them first.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:23 pm

I use all of those methods depending on the owner.

Some never want to discuss at length to hash out a deal or don't reply, so they only get offers thru the website. Others I have discussions for weeks as we both enjoy the process.

Use all the tools in your bag.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Stevens61310
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Stevens61310 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:50 pm

I don't believe there is a wrong way or right way to START trade negotiations. I myself tend to just send trade offers--unsolicited if that's the proper term--but usually fair enough to help each other. With the trade block--it's annoying--. Virtually anytime I mark a player as "untouchable" that's the player I get the most offers on--. I do get emails asking what I want for certain players. I usually answer as honestly as I can--and 90% of those end up with me "wanting too much". Shrugs --oh well.

My own personal notes for trading:
1.) I try to answer all queries and trade offers. But honestly--some times I don't receive them. And several times during the summer I will go camping and I won't pay attention to any kind of electronic medium.
2.) I have received some fairly lopsided trades during my years in fantasy football. I used to just ignore them. Now I answer them with a very terse NO. I don't mind negotiating. But if the offer is so lopsided that the work to be done to get a reasonable trade is staggering then why bother.
3.) Multiple player trades tend tp exasperate me. I get alot of 2 for 4 offers. But some times (and by sometimes I mean almost always) his offer involves players that aren't on a level with all of my bench players. So I ahve to decline those almost all the time. LOOK at my bench--think about what you are offering and who I would have to drop to accomodate your offer.
4.) This goes back to the trade block. If I have someone marked untouchable I almost always leave a note that amounts to something like this "All my players are available. But if said player is marked untouchable you definitely have to pay more than you think is reasonable." And I still get weak weak offers--

My rant and my 2 cents--
Last edited by Stevens61310 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:52 pm

Throw enough bleep at the wall until it sticks.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:57 pm

I wait till it's like 3am in the morning for my trade partner so I know he'll be sleeping.

Then I'll send an offer that's heavily in his favor, and then revoke it shortly after.

That generates 2 emails to him and will get him to inquire back. Then I can say "sorry I fatfingered the offer, what I meant to send was........"

Stevens61310
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Stevens61310 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:03 pm

jordanzs wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:57 pm I wait till it's like 3am in the morning for my trade partner so I know he'll be sleeping.

Then I'll send an offer that's heavily in his favor, and then revoke it shortly after.

That generates 2 emails to him and will get him to inquire back. Then I can say "sorry I fatfingered the offer, what I meant to send was........"
You know-- I think something very similar to this has happened to me a half dozen times in the past year. I will check my email for the last time at like 8PM. And then when I check my email and leagues the next morning and find the offers-. then I go to respond to them and voila--they don't exist--

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:06 pm

Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:23 pm

Personally, I don't like using the trade block. I feel like some owners will devalue your players just a little if they think you're trying to get rid of them. So, I don't try to make public who I want to move. Plus, for me it's produced better offers from other owners.

My process is usually sending out a feeler offer and going from there. If we're far apart on different versions of a deal, then I'll email to get a better feel of their thinking.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:51 pm

Phaded wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:52 pm Throw enough bleep at the wall until it sticks.
Not the best method (know its prob slight sarcasm), but it worked pretty well for me when I took over Team 2 and went total rebuild. Owners were mostly open to talks and I got some good deals done. Every league and owner is different

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:56 am

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:51 pm
Phaded wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:52 pm Throw enough bleep at the wall until it sticks.
Not the best method (know its prob slight sarcasm), but it worked pretty well for me when I took over Team 2 and went total rebuild. Owners were mostly open to talks and I got some good deals done. Every league and owner is different
It was partial sarcasm but actually kind of sincere. I am a trade whore and this is my method. Once I got over the fact that I am going to lose some trades, leagues and trading become a lot more enjoyable.

Some board members are in one of my two leagues but it is no coincidence that almost every trade I am involved in, I sent the offer.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:47 am

Go off of trade bait
or send a message of "hey I like blank/want to move blank, any interest in moving him/you want that guy, if so any idea on something that your looking to pick up/I'd like to get blank back. Any chance you see something that'd work?"