Chiefs draft picks

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Re: Chiefs draft picks

Postby Mjvb5 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:43 am

bearsfan34 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:40 am If I'm the Chiefs, 80% of my resources (draft and FA) this offseason are spent on the defensive side of the ball. Obviously, if a talent at RB falls in the draft to them, like any team they are going to consider taking best player available in the mid-rounds. Or if they can get a bargain at RB in the FA market. But realistically, they should be looking at upgrading the defence first and foremost or bolstering the offensive line which is never a bad idea.
x2 on this one, there offense showed all year that even when various pieces went down they can still perform at a high level, the only spot I'd consider over there is OL just because every team really should be looking there constantly to preserve there franchises future and that maintaining a good one is so hard. Other than that every single level of defense needs work, DL (both edge and interior), LB (mainly offball although ford could use a running mate or they might not resign him), and DB especially

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:05 am

Mjvb5 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:43 am
bearsfan34 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:40 am If I'm the Chiefs, 80% of my resources (draft and FA) this offseason are spent on the defensive side of the ball. Obviously, if a talent at RB falls in the draft to them, like any team they are going to consider taking best player available in the mid-rounds. Or if they can get a bargain at RB in the FA market. But realistically, they should be looking at upgrading the defence first and foremost or bolstering the offensive line which is never a bad idea.
x2 on this one, there offense showed all year that even when various pieces went down they can still perform at a high level, the only spot I'd consider over there is OL just because every team really should be looking there constantly to preserve there franchises future and that maintaining a good one is so hard. Other than that every single level of defense needs work, DL (both edge and interior), LB (mainly offball although ford could use a running mate or they might not resign him), and DB especially
I also agree with this line of thinking. If they can protect Mahomes and hold offenses to like 24 points they should never lose.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:21 am

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:03 pm
hockeyBjj wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:21 am Having two seconds, not just one, is what really makes me feel they'll spend a 2nd on a rookie rb Andy likes
Stop trying to justify selling D. Williams :ewink:
Hey! I only sold one share of him. I still have him in my other league where I have more of an rb need :)
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:07 am

Free agency will be telling. There is a ton of defensive talent on the market. The chiefs have a 3 year window before Mahomes breaks the bank.

If they fill some big holes on defense in FA, it vastly improves the chances the take an early round rb to fit that timeline.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:22 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:07 am Free agency will be telling. There is a ton of defensive talent on the market. The chiefs have a 3 year window before Mahomes breaks the bank.

If they fill some big holes on defense in FA, it vastly improves the chances the take an early round rb to fit that timeline.
It appears the chiefs have like 36 million in cap room which is the middle of the pack. I think dee Ford contract might be up so there is a decision to make there. If they sign him that will eat up a chunk that. They are talking about extending reek so there goes some more. I think the chiefs are actually in cap trouble even with Mahomes on a rookie deal. Not a lot of money to go around.

Elroypedro
Starter
Starter

Postby Elroypedro » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:35 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:07 am Free agency will be telling. There is a ton of defensive talent on the market. The chiefs have a 3 year window before Mahomes breaks the bank.

Williams is the 16th highest paid player on the team now. With incentives he stands to make about 3x as much as Hunt and Ware combined the last 2 years. He is strongly their RB1 at this point, no question.

They don’t have much cap space - $35m that will turn into closer to $45m with cap expansion - but they have to re-sign a bunch of guys or replace them, like Ford, Jones, Butker, Conley, Harris etc and may have to renegotiate this year for Hill and next year for Mahomes(and others) with a monstrous contract. They need to save as much in every contract at this time as they can. They won’t be able to afford much in Free Agency because of this.

They should be drafting DL, CB, FS, ILB, interior OL, WR all before RB.

Every single thing, from him showing out, to the Chiefs running with him and sitting a healthy Ware, to signing him to the biggest RB contract in KC since Jamaal Charles, to their cap and free agency situation, and their draft needs being everywhere but RB, points to Williams being the guy in KC next year. Likeliest depth chart is:

1 Damien Williams
2 Spencer Ware/Ware type of cheap FA/cheap late round rookie RB
3 Darrel Williams
4 Special Teams/Practice Squad guy
Team 1
10 team .5 PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: McCaffery, Guice, D Williams, Breida, Drake, Penny, S Ware, R Jones, J Adams, I Smith
WR: A Brown, Jeffery, Robinson, Ridley, Pettis, Miller, Shepard, Callaway, MVS, Washington
TE: Kelce, Herndon

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

*2018 Champ*

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:59 am

Elroypedro wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:35 am

Williams is the 16th highest paid player on the team now. With incentives he stands to make about 3x as much as Hunt and Ware combined the last 2 years. He is strongly their RB1 at this point, no question.

They don’t have much cap space - $35m that will turn into closer to $45m with cap expansion - but they have to re-sign a bunch of guys or replace them, like Ford, Jones, Butker, Conley, Harris etc and may have to renegotiate this year for Hill and next year for Mahomes(and others) with a monstrous contract. They need to save as much in every contract at this time as they can. They won’t be able to afford much in Free Agency because of this.

They should be drafting DL, CB, FS, ILB, interior OL, WR all before RB.

Every single thing, from him showing out, to the Chiefs running with him and sitting a healthy Ware, to signing him to the biggest RB contract in KC since Jamaal Charles, to their cap and free agency situation, and their draft needs being everywhere but RB, points to Williams being the guy in KC next year. Likeliest depth chart is:

1 Damien Williams
2 Spencer Ware/Ware type of cheap FA/cheap late round rookie RB
3 Darrel Williams
4 Special Teams/Practice Squad guy
Williams cap hit is only 1.7M in 2019 with a million in dead money if he were cut. In 2020 his cap number bumps to 2.8M, but he also could be easily cut with little dead money. Overall the contract is super team friendly. I've been a huge Williams advocate, but his contract alone by no means locks him in.

The draft could play many different ways. I agree they have tons of needs on defense. I just can't see them willingly entering the season with DW and a Ware-level backup when KC could draft their potential future rb for nearly the same cap hit it would cost to aquire a Ware level type backup. But that's what makes the debate fun and polarizing.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:55 pm

Maybe I will pick up Darrel on the cheap. It seems like this is a revolving door goldmine in that backfield the last handful of years. Charles, Charles hurt/old, Ware, Ware hurt- Hunt seems to be the long term answer until he decided to turn into Captain smack and kick a hoe, Damien Williams, Darrel?
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Elroypedro
Starter
Starter

Postby Elroypedro » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:12 pm

Problem is Darrel is a short yardage back and looked like garbage in his very limited run this year. He was also mediocre at LSU. He is big(6’1 230) and barrels, but is the opposite of elusive. He is the 3rd string back there and should remain that next year and beyond, and I don’t believe he will ever be a starter on KC or any other team. He is nothing like in the mold of Damien, who was a stud at Oklahoma and has some elite measurables and had flashed at various times in Miami given his limited opportunities. Ware or a replacement or a mid to late round rookie is almost definitely the 2nd string back behind Damien, because Darrel just isn’t a 2 or 3 down starter in the league
Team 1
10 team .5 PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: McCaffery, Guice, D Williams, Breida, Drake, Penny, S Ware, R Jones, J Adams, I Smith
WR: A Brown, Jeffery, Robinson, Ridley, Pettis, Miller, Shepard, Callaway, MVS, Washington
TE: Kelce, Herndon

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

*2018 Champ*

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:41 pm

I actually was not a huge fan of Damien when he was at Oklahoma, as I watch every second of all their games. He put up good stats like all their backs do, but I was not surprised to see him produce at the level he did with Miami and was surprised (at first) with him doing well in KC. Then I came to my senses and realized it's a KC RB.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry