Tevin Coleman staying in ATL?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Tevin Coleman staying in ATL?

Postby hockeyBjj » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:31 am

I've got 5 rbs up for free agency (Coleman, Ajayi, Yeldon, Ingram, Lat Murray). Really hoping one of them gets a sweatheart landing spot. Coleman going back to Atlanta would be disappointing. Ito Smith was drafted to replace Coleman as the change of pace behind Freeman.

Other than Bell obviously, it's a weak year for rb free agents so I'm hoping a desperate team does grab Coleman. Then again, we're seeing more and more that RBs are indeed disposable plug and play features more reliant on system and O-line.... so why go out and pay up for one? If no one out there is paying and Coleman can just stay at Atlanta for 80% of the price, it sounds like he might choose to stick around
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:51 am

ninotoreS wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:06 am
Phaded wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:59 am I do not think he is going to command much money on the open market, despite how this community feels about him.

Then again, all it takes is one team.
Agreed, and agreed.

It's not at all implausible Coleman stays in Atlanta. I doubt he'll command a princely contract; we're talking about a soon-to-be 26 y/o RB that's only ever been a committee-back at a position of reduced value in the NFL because of how replaceable its production seems to be.

But like Phaded says, it only takes one team out of thirty-two to overpay. And it appears Atlanta has already made post-Coleman plans by drafting Ito Smith to back up Freeman. If they've decided they like Brian Hill too, then Atlanta has no need to throw 4-5 million at Tevin for '19.
Servo wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:02 am The current FA crop of RBs is pretty ugly
I don't agree with this at all.

There's a superstar available in Bell, Yeldon/CJA/Ingram are capable of being solid lead-backs for any team, Coleman and Grant are exciting speed-threat toys that many OCs would love to use in a complementary fashion, Richard is one of the league's best pass-catching scatbacks, Davis and Barber can be cheap but reliable 3-down stop-gap starters. There's even Ameer Abdullah to consider, if some team that loved him coming out of Nebraska believes his failure in Detroit was more Detroit's fault than his own.

This is one of the deepest RB free-agent pools in years.
Piling on. I've been holding Grant all year just for FA. Glad to see him get a mention.

As for Coleman, he was a prime sell high a few years ago. He's showed he isn't the elite talent people had hoped for. Not to say he can't be productive, but he was going awfully high in startups a couple years ago.
Last edited by Orenthal Shames on Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:57 am

hockeyBjj wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:31 am I've got 5 rbs up for free agency (Coleman, Ajayi, Yeldon, Ingram, Lat Murray). Really hoping one of them gets a sweatheart landing spot. Coleman going back to Atlanta would be disappointing. Ito Smith was drafted to replace Coleman as the change of pace behind Freeman.

Other than Bell obviously, it's a weak year for rb free agents so I'm hoping a desperate team does grab Coleman. Then again, we're seeing more and more that RBs are indeed disposable plug and play features more reliant on system and O-line.... so why go out and pay up for one? If no one out there is paying and Coleman can just stay at Atlanta for 80% of the price, it sounds like he might choose to stick around
I'm hoping so too. I've drafted Coleman & Yeldon in our startup and then I just traded for Bell. So I've got 2 of the top 5 FA backs, really hoping for a good spot!

And I agree, I think there are fewer suitors for these guys than people realize. It's a pretty short list of places they could realistically end up being a bellcow type back.

-Bell will surely have a huge role, but the list of people willing to pay his price is short.
-Coleman could be signed at a much more reasonable price, & might have more of a market because of his price tag, but may very well end up being part of a committee.
-Yeldon is the sneaky one, I think he may end up being a steal

Anyway, I think it's a pretty low chance Coleman stays. Like you said, they've drafted his replacement & they've already got a decent amount of money tied up in the position with Freeman's contract.
I think they're just being respectful of each other (Coleman & the team) by saying there's mutual interest in keeping him there
Team 1:
12-team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker, Jimmy G, Mariota, DTR
RB: Taylor, Saquon, Javonte, Conner, C.Evans, TDP
WR: Chase, Diggs, Olave, Aiyuk, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Woods, Kraft
'24 picks: 1st, 3rd, 4th

Team 2:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
(Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF)
QB: Mahomes, Allen, Russ
RB: Breece, JT, Swift, Javonte, Mostert
WR: Chase, Kupp, Aiyuk, Nico, Hollywood, Kirk, MT
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Woods
'24 picks: none

Team 3:
12tm PPR SuperFlex
QB: Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Z.Wilson, DTR
RB: Saquon, Swift, Achane, Kamara, Ford
WR: Jefferson, AJB, ARSB, Nico, Diontae, OBJ
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Fant, Woods
'24 picks: 4th, 4th

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:52 am

Not sold on Ito being Freeman's wingman/handcuff if Coleman leaves. His 4th round draft position isn't much of a reason to go RB in the third or 2nd.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:21 am

I could see Coleman going to a few different spots that I like. I highly doubt he wants to stay in Atlanta. Every young RB wants to be the man, and he's not that in Atlanta. Combine that with the fact that Atlanta is likely to just match (but not exceed) any contract offer...he won't be in Atlanta.

Maybe he goes to Tampa and Arians turns him into DJ lite? never know

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:30 am

Johnny Canuck wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:21 am I could see Coleman going to a few different spots that I like. I highly doubt he wants to stay in Atlanta. Every young RB wants to be the man, and he's not that in Atlanta. Combine that with the fact that Atlanta is likely to just match (but not exceed) any contract offer...he won't be in Atlanta.

Maybe he goes to Tampa and Arians turns him into DJ lite? never know
This was the logic for me buying up Duke Johnson shares last offseason.... before he signed the extension to stay in a part-time role. Maybe Coleman wants to stay in a satellite role for his long-term health. We have no idea.
I'd bet if Atlanta will match his best offer, he stays in Atlanta. Probably ~30% chance he stays in Atlanta.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:50 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:51 amI've been holding Grant all year just for FA.
You and me both. I'm not holding my breath, particularly considering he's somehow already 27, but Grant is one of the most athletic players in the NFL at a decent weight of 205lbs -- most players with testing numbers comparable to his tip the scales at something like 170-180lbs. There's gotta be a team that can do something with that. More than those two chuckleheads Marrone and Hackett could, anyway.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:36 am

ninotoreS wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:50 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:51 amI've been holding Grant all year just for FA.
You and me both. I'm not holding my breath, particularly considering he's somehow already 27, but Grant is one of the most athletic players in the NFL at a decent weight of 205lbs -- most players with testing numbers comparable to his tip the scales at something like 170-180lbs. There's gotta be a team that can do something with that. More than those two chuckleheads Marrone and Hackett could, anyway.
Man. I agree. Imagine if he lands in KC on the cheap...
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:03 am

If you ever invested in Coleman this is basically what you were waiting for, so he seems like a hold until we see how free agency shakes out. He's a RB with somewhat limited abilities between the tackles but has game breaking track speed and is more than competent on passing downs. Veteran running backs have never been a spending priority in free agency, so no I don't expect him to get a particularly lucrative contract...but I do expect him to be a desired commodity by teams that want to add weapons on offense (of which there should be many, despite many oddly thinking ATL is the only one). Signing a new deal with Atlanta is possible, sure...but I agree with many that it doesn't seem to me to be the likeliest possibility. I expect Atlanta is going to prioritize their limited cap space in areas of greater need and roll with with Freeman, Smith & Hill.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th