Damien Williams - convince me

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Damien Williams - convince me

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:11 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:14 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:42 amIf Ware returns, he could force a platoon/committee. Williams only had his opportunity because Ware was injured, and even then he wasn't locked into a bellcow role.
Check again.

- Damien Williams was 100% locked into a bellcow role for both playoff games (vs Pats, bear in mind the Chiefs had 21 total minutes of possession)
- Ware was a full practice participant
- Ware seemed to be near full health by Week 16, nevermind Week 20
- Ware and Darrel played very few snaps in both games (and it seems Darrel only got double-digit touches Week 17 bc it was a blowout)

At this point in time, Chiefs have signaled pretty clearly that Ware is no threat to (a healthy) Damien's role in '19, whether or not he's re-signed. If he is, Week 17 usage indicates he might not be above Darrel on the depth-chart.
By that time, yes, he was locked. But, I wasn't referencing that time, but instead right after Hunt was cut. There were various arguments for which of Williams/Ware/Williams would take over. Some had a more solid basis then others, but in the initial aftermath, there was no clear cut lead option.

That clearly changed by the playoffs. Will it change again?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Elroypedro
Starter
Starter

Postby Elroypedro » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:58 pm

He looks damn good - not perfect - on a lot of runs here from just the small sample size last year(sorry about the music):

https://youtu.be/1fc_0Q5pDtc
Team 1
10 team .5 PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: McCaffery, Guice, D Williams, Breida, Drake, Penny, S Ware, R Jones, J Adams, I Smith
WR: A Brown, Jeffery, Robinson, Ridley, Pettis, Miller, Shepard, Callaway, MVS, Washington
TE: Kelce, Herndon

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

*2018 Champ*

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:11 pm By that time, yes, he was locked. But, I wasn't referencing that time, but instead right after Hunt was cut.
Wait, did I quote a post you made from back during the last weeks of the regular-season? Oops. I thought it was made recently.

The record here will show that I myself thought Ware would be the guy. I didn't appreciate just how much Brett Veach fancied Damien when he signed him last offseason.
Elroypedro wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:58 pm He looks damn good - not perfect
I think Veach likes what Damien can do to test a defense's edge contain, while still being a dangerous dump-off option for Mahomes in the flat. He's just okay between the tackles, but with Mahomes' absurd arm talent forcing safeties to play deeper, that's not much of a concern.

I think that speed to threaten the edge and boundary is what Damien has that Ware and Darrel don't, and naturally complements Hill stretching defenses vertically and Kelce working between the hashmarks.

Which, incidentally, is why I'm looking at Coleman and Grant as options for KC in free-agency.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:09 am

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:11 pm By that time, yes, he was locked. But, I wasn't referencing that time, but instead right after Hunt was cut.
Wait, did I quote a post you made from back during the last weeks of the regular-season? Oops. I thought it was made recently.

The record here will show that I myself thought Ware would be the guy. I didn't appreciate just how much Brett Veach fancied Damien when he signed him last offseason.
Elroypedro wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:58 pm He looks damn good - not perfect
I think Veach likes what Damien can do to test a defense's edge contain, while still being a dangerous dump-off option for Mahomes in the flat. He's just okay between the tackles, but with Mahomes' absurd arm talent forcing safeties to play deeper, that's not much of a concern.

I think that speed to threaten the edge and boundary is what Damien has that Ware and Darrel don't, and naturally complements Hill stretching defenses vertically and Kelce working between the hashmarks.

Which, incidentally, is why I'm looking at Coleman and Grant as options for KC in free-agency.
I could see grant signing there but if Coleman signs there it is a gettelman level waste of money with the holes they have in relation to their cap situation. Coleman should get a decent contract even coming off a less than stellar season.

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:48 am

So I started reading this thread and it's just too long. Agree with those that view him as an above average but not great/special overall talent. And I think he's a good, well above average, receiving talent.

Not sure how many mid to late 1st round picks have league winning potential, but that is Damien's ceiling. I think trust and versatility also mean a lot, and I think Williams gave Andy Reid and KC reason to trust him. I also think he has enough versatility to not tip defenses off with his presence on the field.

I'm 1,000% on board with buying him now. If he keeps the job after free agency and the draft, it's too late to trade for him. If you trade for him now and he keeps the job, major victory. If all he does is keep the 3rd down and pass catching role, still better than the likely outcome of anything but a top 1st round pick. If KC brings in someone to be their workhorse, then you lose, but he would still have some handcuff value...
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:51 am

I was one of the guys banging the drum for Damien Williams when the Hunt news broke. The guy helped win me a title, so I hold a special place for him.

That said, as well as he's played I just don't have the confidence in his position as the starter longterm. I don't doubt he may begin the season as such, but my concern is that it won't take a large investment on the side of KC to dethrone him from that role. That is why I cashed out.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:54 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:51 am I was one of the guys banging the drum for Damien Williams when the Hunt news broke. The guy helped win me a title, so I hold a special place for him.

That said, as well as he's played I just don't have the confidence in his position as the starter longterm. I don't doubt he may begin the season as such, but my concern is that it won't take a large investment on the side of KC to dethrone him from that role. That is why I cashed out.
What did you get in return when you cashed out?
(you probably mentioned it earlier but I don't remember) lol
Team 1:
12-team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker, Jimmy G, Mariota, DTR
RB: Taylor, Saquon, Javonte, Conner, C.Evans, TDP
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Olave, Diggs, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Woods, Kraft
'24 picks: 1.08, 3.05

Team 2:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Mahomes, Allen, Russ
RB: Breece, JT, Swift, Javonte, Mostert, Zamir
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Nico, Kupp, Hollywood, Kirk, MT
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Woods
'24 picks: 4.01

Team 3:
QB: Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Z.Wilson, DTR
RB: Saquon, Swift, Achane, Kamara, Ford
WR: Jefferson, AJB, ARSB, Nico, Diontae, OBJ
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Fant, Woods
'24 picks: 4.08, 4.12, 5.12

Elroypedro
Starter
Starter

Postby Elroypedro » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:12 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:51 am I was one of the guys banging the drum for Damien Williams when the Hunt news broke. The guy helped win me a title, so I hold a special place for him.

I’m a conservative owner, who believes in squeezing small values out of transactions over and over and in time that adds up to well built teams. Damien Williams wasn’t even worth a 3rd 2 months ago and now he is probably fetching a late 1st. In most cases like this I try to sell for a profit and count it as a win. But, I am competing now, and on top of CMC AB and Kelce, he was directly responsible for me winning the ‘ship last year. So I too hold a special place for him.

And now, to the present - he could fetch a late 1st. But am I willing to take the chance that he is the starter for 1, possibly 2 years in KC? The odds are probably 50% or more that he is for this next year, and maybe 25% that he is for 2 years. If he is, he is a league winner. I am definitely sacrificing a late 1st for those odds with a competitive roster. Only case I would sell him is if I am rebuilding and not in need of a possible league winner this year and next. Then aid take the 1st and run.
Team 1
10 team .5 PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: McCaffery, Guice, D Williams, Breida, Drake, Penny, S Ware, R Jones, J Adams, I Smith
WR: A Brown, Jeffery, Robinson, Ridley, Pettis, Miller, Shepard, Callaway, MVS, Washington
TE: Kelce, Herndon

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

*2018 Champ*

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:52 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:54 am

Dealt DW, 3 late 2nds (in a 16 team, they're more like 3rds), Rivers (my backup qb in a start one league)

Got 1.3, Marcus Mariota
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:01 am

I think a dynasty roster that looks like a legit contender in '19 and isn't already stacked deep at RB should be tempted to keep Damien for next year for the chance he could be a top 5-10 fantasy RB for a season.

Everyone else should try to sell high.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:57 am

Damien Williams went in the 2nd round of an MFL10 today. :)

Pick: 22 Round: 2 ** On the Clock ** Team 3: @Edgar367763
Pick: 21 Round: 2 RB Damien Williams Team 4: @Guet
Pick: 20 Round: 2 RB Nick Chubb Team 5: @Pai Mei
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

makemeasandwich
Captain
Captain

Postby makemeasandwich » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:45 am

You're too busy to be concerned with fantasy football right now I thought bro?

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:48 am

ArrylT wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:57 am Damien Williams went in the 2nd round of an MFL10 today. :)

Pick: 22 Round: 2 ** On the Clock ** Team 3: @Edgar367763
Pick: 21 Round: 2 RB Damien Williams Team 4: @Guet
Pick: 20 Round: 2 RB Nick Chubb Team 5: @Pai Mei
Well looks like I should be shopping him if this is where he is going in a dynasty startup. I could see him going there in redraft right now but I don’t who does that kind of draft this early.

BigJoeWall72
Role Player
Role Player

Postby BigJoeWall72 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:29 am

ninotoreS wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:01 am I think a dynasty roster that looks like a legit contender in '19 and isn't already stacked deep at RB should be tempted to keep Damien for next year for the chance he could be a top 5-10 fantasy RB for a season.

Everyone else should try to sell high.
This is it. Unless I get 2 firsts for him or a different RB that I could plug in and big huge points from, I don't know how I could trade him away. For me, it's worth taking the risk that he picks up next year right where he left off this one, because I got him off waivers. I'm definitely not trading him away for a pair of 2nds or even a late first, honestly.

KC needs all the help they can get on defense, so I don't expect them to use anything higher than a 4th or 5th on a RB in the draft.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:31 am

makemeasandwich wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:45 am

You're too busy to be concerned with fantasy football right now I thought bro?
..What?
Team 1:
12-team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker, Jimmy G, Mariota, DTR
RB: Taylor, Saquon, Javonte, Conner, C.Evans, TDP
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Olave, Diggs, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Woods, Kraft
'24 picks: 1.08, 3.05

Team 2: