Peterson / Guice in DC

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

If Peterson is resigned in 2019, what’s the workload split like in 2019?

Even Split - Committee Backfield (both useless in fantasy)
11%
Guice wins starting job in training camp and is a stud all year while AP is his handcuff
28%
AP keeps starting job (Guice is simply his handcuff)
4%
Guice is eased in and a flex play to start the season but becomes a 3-down stud in the second half
44%
No one in this backfield is considered a stud for any part of 2019.
13%

Total votes: 114

ajf235
Role Player
Role Player

Peterson / Guice in DC

Postby ajf235 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:43 pm

It sounds like there’s a legit chance the Redskins re-sign AP to a another one-year deal.

If they do and Guice is fully healthy by week 1 next season, what kind of workload split do you guys think we can expect from this backfield?
Last edited by ajf235 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Peterson / Guice in DC

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:26 pm

This looks eerily similar to the Carson-Penny thread haha

IFF Guice is 100% I think they will slowly work him in and get him to a more full workload as he progresses. Hard to see them doing what Seattle did to Penny (they really do like Carson over there), as AP is only a temporary filler, but you never know. I don't think the Redskins are competing for anything next year so bringing Guice in slowly may be their best move until he is up to speed.

I also assume that offense is going to face a lot of stacked boxes as their QB situation is awful at the moment

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:21 pm

Guice is mentored by AP and eased in, coming on strong at mid-season. AP just needs to tell Guice to look the other way when AP will not just run out of bounds instead of challenging a defender EVERY time and taking on huge hits👍
Last edited by kadun2 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:43 pm

I don't see Guice as a three-down back next season. The Redskins have always used a passing down back in that offense. So, Chris Thompson, Kapri Bibbs or whoever will get those passing snaps and Guice will be the early down back.

ajf235
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ajf235 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:24 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:43 pm I don't see Guice as a three-down back next season. The Redskins have always used a passing down back in that offense. So, Chris Thompson, Kapri Bibbs or whoever will get those passing snaps and Guice will be the early down back.
I think he should have an opportunity to prove himself as an every down back relatively early in his career given Chris Thompson’s injury history.
Last edited by ajf235 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:39 pm

I view Guice as having a 3 down skill set. His hands, route running and awareness in space are all underrated. But he wont be used that way, at least at first. The lack of threat at QB and the receiving game are my biggest concerns and I dont see that issue being addressed in 2019.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:46 pm

If Guice can catch maybe he's the change of pace guy to start? Slowly taking on more carries as he progresses. It's all wild speculation, just trying to think of the most sensible thing. Then again, this is the Washington National Football Team

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:05 pm

I'm guessing they'd alternate drives.

Also silly for the poll's only committee option to non-negotiably tack on the assertion that they'd both be "useless in fantasy". That is not at all a guarantee in a timeshare situation. Skins are probably gonna run the ball a lot next year.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

koalabear
Captain
Captain

Postby koalabear » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:22 am

I own Guice and have legit concerns. His injury and subsequent infections were not small beer. Best case for me in year one would be a Sony Michel statline. I expect him to be a 2 down banger.

Skins could be the worst team in the league next season and I could see them abandoning the run early in games. That's my main fear, Peterson in the mix is an added complication.

Having said that I ain't selling him cheap!
1. 12 team 1pt PPR. Start 1 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE. Yr 7
QB: Murray, Stafford
RB: Dobbins, Sanders, Pearce
WR: Jefferson, Burks, JuJu
TE: Goedert, Everett
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

2. 12 team 1pt PPR. Start 1 QB, 2-4 RB, 3-5 WR, 1-3 TE. Yr 6.
QB: Jackson, Allen
RB: Akers, CEH
WR: Chase, M Brown, Pittman, M Williams
TE: Tonyan, Hooper
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

3. 12 team superflex, PPR (WR/RB/TE 1/1.25/1.5). Start 1-2 QB, 1-7 RB, WR, TE. Yr 5.
QB: Jackson, Prescott, Brady
RB: Singletary, Harris
WR: Jefferson, Adams, Burks, Evans, Lockett
TE: Hockenson
2023: 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

ajf235
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ajf235 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:30 am

ninotoreS wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:05 pm I'm guessing they'd alternate drives.

Also silly for the poll's only committee option to non-negotiably tack on the assertion that they'd both be "useless in fantasy". That is not at all a guarantee in a timeshare situation. Skins are probably gonna run the ball a lot next year.
Fair point. I phrased it like that as I’m eyeing a championship next year and anything short of that would be considered a failure. My RBs will be especially loaded after the draft, so if a guy doesn’t put up top 15 numbers at RB on a per game basis I’d consider them “useless.” I doubt that either of these guys could be trusted as a high-end RB2 with an even split next year.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:11 am

C.Thompson, when healthy, is an exceptional receiving threat out of the backfield. Lets not forget that or minimize that aspect of his game. AP, when healthy is or can be still a beast of a runner. He is a lock as a first ballot HOF'r - and Guice has yet to take an NFL snap. Wishing something to be true, doesn't make it true... hoping it to be true because you drafted the kid last year doesn't make it true... the jury is out on Guice (who was talented with good size and speed pre injury) and that is all we know for sure right now. The injury and the infections are troubling, but, I'm rooting for him to make a healthy and successful come back. I don't expect him to be a true 3 down back till his 3rd NFL season if he is healthy.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

ajf235
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ajf235 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:28 am

JFever wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:11 am C.Thompson, when healthy, is an exceptional receiving threat out of the backfield. Lets not forget that or minimize that aspect of his game. AP, when healthy is or can be still a beast of a runner. He is a lock as a first ballot HOF'r - and Guice has yet to take an NFL snap. Wishing something to be true, doesn't make it true... hoping it to be true because you drafted the kid last year doesn't make it true... the jury is out on Guice (who was talented with good size and speed pre injury) and that is all we know for sure right now. The injury and the infections are troubling, but, I'm rooting for him to make a healthy and successful come back. I don't expect him to be a true 3 down back till his 3rd NFL season if he is healthy.
Fair points. My argument is that Chris Thompson has only ever played a full 16-game season once in his career. Even Samaje Perine had an opportunity to play an every-down role for the Redskins because of Thompson’s injury history but obviously didn’t retain it bc CT is a far superior receiver and overall player to Perine.

With Guice though, I’d imagine that if he gets a chance for an every-down role due to a Chris Thompson injury, I could see him showing that he’s more than capable of being a dual threat as a runner/receiver, in which case they may never look back and keep him in that role.

If AP is there, it could complicate things as unless Guice wins the job outright in training camp, he might not assume an every-down role if CT gets injured but rather a committee role with AP. Total speculation, all of it.

But I’m just saying that I think the presence of CT as the third down back gives me comfort as a Guice owner given his injury history, which could easily open the door for Guice to be a 3-down stud early in his career.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Guice still has a lot of upside. That, I'll admit. He, unfortunately also has a lot of questions associated with his short and long term future. His story is a crazy one and, I, for one, would love to see him make something of the opportunity he has in front of him. I don't own Guice anywhere, still, I'd like to see the kid do well. AP doesn't have a lot of time left, Chris Thompson is very good in smaller doses, so, I think there is room there in that backfield for Washington to ease Guice into relevancy.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:14 pm

guice gets the job from day one and is a solid rb2
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:22 pm

He'll get the same treatment Gates got from the Chargers. Thanks, we'll give you a call if something comes up.