Peterson / Guice in DC

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

If Peterson is resigned in 2019, what’s the workload split like in 2019?

Even Split - Committee Backfield (both useless in fantasy)
11%
Guice wins starting job in training camp and is a stud all year while AP is his handcuff
28%
AP keeps starting job (Guice is simply his handcuff)
4%
Guice is eased in and a flex play to start the season but becomes a 3-down stud in the second half
44%
No one in this backfield is considered a stud for any part of 2019.
13%

Total votes: 114

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Peterson / Guice in DC

Postby skip » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:29 pm

The upside is with Guice, but I don't think there is any realistic chance of either being a stud in 2019. That's way too big of a leap of faith.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:06 pm

ajf235 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:30 am Fair point. I phrased it like that as I’m eyeing a championship next year and anything short of that would be considered a failure. My RBs will be especially loaded after the draft, so if a guy doesn’t put up top 15 numbers at RB on a per game basis I’d consider them “useless.” I doubt that either of these guys could be trusted as a high-end RB2 with an even split next year.
Seems to me any RB in play for 15 touches can be treated like an RB2/flex (lean toward the flex, ofc), provided the O-line he's behind isn't terrible.

I can totally see the Skins running the ball 30+ times a week next season.
skip wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:29 pm The upside is with Guice, but I don't think there is any realistic chance of either being a stud in 2019. That's way too big of a leap of faith.
In Guice's case, it seems like a realistic chance considering Day 1 and 2 picked RBs immediately break out in fantasy on a regular basis. Could be that my definition of 'stud' is more generous than yours, though. If I can start him every week and feel pretty good about it, for me that's a stud.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:33 pm

Guice blew his knee early enough to be 100% by pre-season

It's his job. AP gets 5 carries a game and vultures a few TDs but that's it. AP becomes disgruntled playing second fiddle like he was on the Saints and possibly gets released
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:10 pm

I don't understand how everyone can be so certain of a guy who missed a full year, had injury complications, and hasn't played an NFL snap. It just boggles my mind. We don't even know what he looks like in an NFL game yet.

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:19 pm

I don't think anyone is sure but doctors seem to have the ACL thing down pretty good and 13 months ago Guice was seen in the same tier as the current 1.01.

ajf235
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ajf235 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:30 pm

Weknownothing86 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:10 pm I don't understand how everyone can be so certain of a guy who missed a full year, had injury complications, and hasn't played an NFL snap. It just boggles my mind. We don't even know what he looks like in an NFL game yet.
Well this guy was seen as the consensus 1.02 rookie pick in a loaded RB class and over the past four years, highly drafted rookie RBs who have been given the opportunity have generally shined very early in the career, except for RoJo (who everyone and their mother knew was a bust) and a few others. However, given that Guice’s competition is a 34 year old guy and arguably the most injury-prone scatback in the league I like his situation better than most “rookie” RBs.

And I know it’s a small sample size, but Melvin Gordon’s bad rookie season could’ve been foreshadowed if you paid attention to his rookie preseason. In that one carry that Guice injured himself, he showed what he’s truly capable of and it was way better than any of MGIII’s preseason carries as a rookie.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:25 pm

In my opinion, the most promising point of data regarding Guice's NFL prospects is his age considered together with his draft position. Historically, RBs aged 20 on the day of their NFL draft and selected in the first three rounds have a very high success rate as professionals (success in this context defined as multiple 1k yard rushing seasons, Pro Bowls, etc).

The RBs from last year's class who meet that criteria are Barkley, Kerryon, RoJo, and Guice. Barkley and Kerryon already appear to be falling in line with the trend. RoJo appears to be a miss. Guice remains to be seen.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:52 pm

ajf235 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:28 am
JFever wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:11 am C.Thompson, when healthy, is an exceptional receiving threat out of the backfield. Lets not forget that or minimize that aspect of his game. AP, when healthy is or can be still a beast of a runner. He is a lock as a first ballot HOF'r - and Guice has yet to take an NFL snap. Wishing something to be true, doesn't make it true... hoping it to be true because you drafted the kid last year doesn't make it true... the jury is out on Guice (who was talented with good size and speed pre injury) and that is all we know for sure right now. The injury and the infections are troubling, but, I'm rooting for him to make a healthy and successful come back. I don't expect him to be a true 3 down back till his 3rd NFL season if he is healthy.
Fair points. My argument is that Chris Thompson has only ever played a full 16-game season once in his career. Even Samaje Perine had an opportunity to play an every-down role for the Redskins because of Thompson’s injury history but obviously didn’t retain it bc CT is a far superior receiver and overall player to Perine.

With Guice though, I’d imagine that if he gets a chance for an every-down role due to a Chris Thompson injury, I could see him showing that he’s more than capable of being a dual threat as a runner/receiver, in which case they may never look back and keep him in that role.

If AP is there, it could complicate things as unless Guice wins the job outright in training camp, he might not assume an every-down role if CT gets injured but rather a committee role with AP. Total speculation, all of it.

But I’m just saying that I think the presence of CT as the third down back gives me comfort as a Guice owner given his injury history, which could easily open the door for Guice to be a 3-down stud early in his career.
Yea, if there is such a thing as being injury prone, then CT is by far the most injury prone player ever. I believe he's had a season ending injury something like 6 of the past 7 years going back to college.

Basically if Kevin White lands on IR for 4 more seasons In a row he will finally be on CT's level.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:54 am

Krypto_King wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:19 pm I don't think anyone is sure but doctors seem to have the ACL thing down pretty good and 13 months ago Guice was seen in the same tier as the current 1.01.
I think the above comments were concerned with the fact that there were complications with Guice's ACL procedure. Usually it's routine, however in this case things did not go as planned.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:59 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:54 am
Krypto_King wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:19 pm I don't think anyone is sure but doctors seem to have the ACL thing down pretty good and 13 months ago Guice was seen in the same tier as the current 1.01.
I think the above comments were concerned with the fact that there were complications with Guice's ACL procedure. Usually it's routine, however in this case things did not go as planned.
Its not even the complications themselves that concern me for 2019. Its the fact that he didnt start his rehab till months after the surgery. Which pushes back the date when he will be truly 100%.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:26 am

Bot101 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:59 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:54 am
Its not even the complications themselves that concern me for 2019. Its the fact that he didnt start his rehab till months after the surgery. Which pushes back the date when he will be truly 100%.
@all

Post-op staph infection is common, and how they dealt with Guice's infection was standard.

It delayed him starting his rehab. That's about all that really matters about it. Guice has been practically living at the Skins facilities doing weight-training for months now.

And considering Guice had his injury before the season even started, and we see other players now like Deshaun Watson tear their ACL mid-season and still be recovered in time for OTAs, Guice's timetable to be ready for 2019 already had some cushion.

I feel like a lot of people only read that dumb rotoworld blurb without actually reading the WaPo article it linked. The blurb had an uninformed alarmist tone to it which wasn't consistent with the tone of the article it cited.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:44 pm

I'm glad there is a scare about him. FWIW he posted a video of himself running and doing calisthenics the other day. Even if his rehab got pushed back a bit he was still healing all this time.

gameaholica
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gameaholica » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:00 am

Krypto_King wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:44 pm I'm glad there is a scare about him. FWIW he posted a video of himself running and doing calisthenics the other day. Even if his rehab got pushed back a bit he was still healing all this time.
Yeah, you guys should find his Twitter video of his workout... sigh of relief and a glimmer of hope lol
TheFantasyFootballGuys Dynasty League (13 keeper-PPR)
QB: Mahomes | Stafford | Mayfield
RB: Barkely | Henry | Etienne | Akers | Penny |
WR: Thomas | Bateman | Pittman | Metchie | Shaheed | W. Robinson
TE: Dulcich | Kincaid | Latu
Start: QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-Flex-Flex-K-DEF

Buzz's BBQ Dynasty League(18 keeper-PPR)
QB: J Allen | Stafford |
RB: J.Williams | J Taylor | Mostert | Herbert | Hall | Tucker | Charbonnet
WR: Chase | AJ Brown | Mims | JSN | Metchie | W Robinson
TE: Engram | LaPorta | Pitts | Latu | Ferguson
Start: QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-FLEX-K-DEF

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:49 am

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... -to-field/
The last update on Guice's progress was far less optimistic, as reports suggested he developed an infection in his knee amid complications from mid-August surgery that required three additional follow-up procedures. However, the tide has changed, given this video evidence provided by Guice just five months after tearing his ACL. The LSU product's availability for training camp is still uncertain, but his odds of being ready to go for Week 1 of the upcoming season seem much more favorable than they did a month ago.
Here's the video: https://twitter.com/BR_NFL/status/1085220868077293568

Turns out I know what I'm talking about when I tell y'all not to overreact to a post-op Staph infection that wasn't MRSA. Happens all the time, guys; Staph lives on everyone's skin. If that WaPo side-board human-interest article intended for its local readership had never been published, the at large fantasy football community would've never learned of Guice's post-op infection. I guarantee many athletes have post-op infections from their surgeries that are never reported.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ajf235
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ajf235 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:11 am

So regardless of how this season shakes out workload-wise, most people here are basically projecting Guice to at least be a stud for the fantasy playoffs regardless. Hopefully that’s the case.

And yeah agreed about staph infections, Brady, Gronk and many others have suffered from them but they weren’t widely reported. It’s pretty common. Let’s hope Guice makes a full recovery and is a total fantasy stud next year.

The more I think about it, the more I think Guice will be a bellcow early in the season. I just don’t see any scenario where Peterson starts over Guice if he’s 100% healthy unless Guice is a total bust and AP could easily be pissed and get traded like he did with New Orleans.