Should there be Divisions in Dynasty Football?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Single Table or Divisions

Postby ArrylT » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:34 am

One of my goals is to play in as many formats as possible - I would like to play in more leagues with Double Headers or Triple Headers, or try an All-Play league - but that will have to wait for now.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:27 am

16 teams with 4 divisions of 4.

We play everyone in the division twice, first three and last three games of the season.

4 division winners get top 4 seeds. The top 2 scoring non-division winners get the 5th and 6th seeds. Has worked well so far. Makes for some fun races at the end of the year.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

ascherb
Starter
Starter

Postby ascherb » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:42 am

What’s the point of divisions if you don’t edit the schedule so that you play your division mates more than once?
Please give us a visit for awesome FF content:

extrapointff.com

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:43 am

Divisions, creates rivalries and creates a similar real life schedule.

ascherb
Starter
Starter

Postby ascherb » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:52 am

Phaded wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:43 am Divisions, creates rivalries and creates a similar real life schedule.
Right, but in the real life schedule, NFL teams play their division opponents twice each, so I get it.

Maybe yalls division leagues do that, but the ones I’ve been in don’t and the divisions are arbitrary and have no purpose unless you are playing division opponents more often than non division opponents.

If I have a 12 team league, with 3 divisions of 4. 6 of those games should be against division opponents, right? That leaves 7 weeks to play 7/8 other opponents. How do you guys split that up?
Please give us a visit for awesome FF content:

extrapointff.com

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:10 am

Both of my divisions involve you playing division opponents more than once. Without that scheduling, it seems pointless - I agree.

In regards to your dilemma, I see two solutions:
- Just schedule the six divisional games; and randomly generate the one team they do not play
- If you find it important that they play everyone, ramdomly generate the division opponent that you do not play twice

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:23 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:15 pm
M-Dub wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:06 pm We abandoned divisions once we discovered the beauty of double-headers. In a 12-team league, we can play a 22-game double round-robin schedule with everyone playing everyone else twice in just 11 weeks. That leaves us a full five weeks for the postseason, so we play a one-week quarterfinal with two-week semis and a two-week championship game. We actually figured out a way to increase the sample size in both the regular season and the postseason. It’s fantastic. I can’t imagine going back to the fluky one game/week format after seeing how well this has worked over the past two years.
I wish more guys relayed stories like this or we're open to trying double-headers and triple-headers.
I love double headers for regular season weeks. Takes some of the randomness out
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

justdex
Rookie
Rookie

What are the uses of divisions and/or rivalries in your league?

Postby justdex » Fri May 17, 2019 8:51 am

I've got a 14 team league and we're looking at using divisions. Ultimately, seems like nothing more than saying we have divisions. We have 13 weeks and play 13 different teams. Would love to add a rivalry week into the league as well. Perhaps have 3 rival teams or just one rival and mid season have a rivalry week. Not sure how to make it worth while though.
Considering adding divisions and upping the buy-in so there's another method of a pay out. Currently highest scoring team gets money back and winner takes the rest with a couple progressive building pots (back2back champs and first to beat every team during reg season).
Any fun ways leagues use divisions? Any creative uses of rivalries or how to determine your rivals?
14 team dynasty. All TD's 6 points. Adjusted IDP points. Points for all return yards and scores.
Starting lineup 1QB/ 2RB/ 2WR/ 1FLEX(RB/WR/TE)/ 1TE 1K/1DEF 2DL/2LB/2DB 1FLEX(DL/LB/DB)

Roster
QB- Aaron Rodgers, Stafford, Tom Brady

RB- Saquon Barkley, Nick Chubb, James Connor, Leonard Fournette, Justice Hill

WR- OBJ, Juju, Stefon Diggs, ARob, Corey Davis, DJ Moore, Quincy Enunwa, AJ Brown, Antonio Callaway, Hakeem Butler, Isaiah McKenzie, Josh Reynolds

TE- OJ Howard, Ebron,

K- Justin Tucker, Greg Zuerlein

DEF- Jags, Browns, Lions

DL- JJ Watt, Joey Bosa, Danielle Hunter

LB- Kuechly, Deion Jones, Devin White, Rueben Foster, Fred Warner

DB- Jamal Adams, Keanu Neal, Jessie Bates, John Johnson

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: What are the uses of divisions and/or rivalries in your league?

Postby Paul717 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:38 am

We have 16 teams, and 2 divisions. We play each division "rival" twice and each team from the other division once, for a total of 22 games over 13 weeks. After creating the schedule a few years ago (which is not trivial, by the way, for this format!), I got cute and tried to create a "rivalry week" by swapping a few games here and there. The rivalries were legit because this league has known each other from high school / college and is ~20 years old.

Long story short; I botched it somehow. One team was set to play THREE games one week instead of two, etc. It wasn't realized until after the Thursday night of Week 1, either. Led to a lot of anger directed my way, lol. I haven't found a "schedule bot" that fits this exact schedule format.

The lesson: If you attempt to create a rivalry week, be careful not to botch the schedule. As far as how to determine rivals...if you don't know the league mates you could pair up frequent trade partners perhaps? Or, look at close games or playoff games from prior years.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: All my picks except 3rd rounder

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Fri May 17, 2019 9:41 am

For me, divisions are only necessary to accommodate scheduling (e.g., 12 teams, 13 weeks; etc.). In leagues where the scheduling doesn't need them, like in your situation, I do away with them entirely.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:59 am

No need for divisions in a 14 team league imo, just play everyone once and be done with it. They do come in handy for leagues of other sizes and making an understandable schedule rather than just playing 2 random teams twice in a typical 12 team/13 week season

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Fri May 17, 2019 12:02 pm

divisions suck
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ebsteelers » Fri May 17, 2019 12:19 pm

they are helpful if its going to effect end of the season compensation win your divison win 10 bucks or whatever, but if the schedule already fits, then theres really no reason.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri May 17, 2019 12:45 pm

The advantage of divisions in dynasty is that people are used to is so they sorta just expect it.

Gosteelers
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Gosteelers » Fri May 17, 2019 12:57 pm

14 teams

We have a North and a South just to remind everyone who was a playoff team the year before and who wasn't.

Also guarantees a non playoff team from the previous year to make the playoffs this year as someone has to win the division.