Should there be Divisions in Dynasty Football?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Re: Single Table or Divisions

Postby Pet_Smith » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:45 am

Never played in a league with no divisions, but would be keen to explore it. In a 12 team dynasty league, we have three divisions - and as above it's pretty imbalanced, but helps create rivalries. We mix up the divisions every 5 years - not quite at the first re-shuffle, but can't wait for it
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:10 am

Only play with divisions, divisions are new every year based on W/L-ratio (best 4 i one division etc) - and I would prolly never go away from it.

The main reason being every team always has that glimmer of chance/hope for playoffs, making it worthwhile every year.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:28 am

problemsolver wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:52 pm I play in both but I hate divisions. One league (12 teams, 3 divisions) I'm in the two best teams are in the same division, so 2 years in a row an 11-2 team who was the second highest scoring team by a large margin was the #4 seed and didnt get a bye. When you consider those top 2 teams had to play each other twice since they were in the same division , while the 8-5 #3 seed got to play the two craptastic 2 and 3 win rebuilding franchises twice each, it just exacerbates the situation.

My ideal league is 14 teams, no divisions. Everyone plays each team once. Its just neat and tidy.
The solution to this problem is ranking/seeding not based on record but Victory Points.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

problemsolver
Starter
Starter

Postby problemsolver » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:03 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:28 am
problemsolver wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:52 pm I play in both but I hate divisions. One league (12 teams, 3 divisions) I'm in the two best teams are in the same division, so 2 years in a row an 11-2 team who was the second highest scoring team by a large margin was the #4 seed and didnt get a bye. When you consider those top 2 teams had to play each other twice since they were in the same division , while the 8-5 #3 seed got to play the two craptastic 2 and 3 win rebuilding franchises twice each, it just exacerbates the situation.

My ideal league is 14 teams, no divisions. Everyone plays each team once. Its just neat and tidy.
The solution to this problem is ranking/seeding not based on record but Victory Points.
If you're going to do that then what do you need divisions for?

XclickX
Role Player
Role Player

Postby XclickX » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:16 am

This. Love the 14 team leagues.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:32 am

I play in all division leagues and enjoy it. Sure, once in a while things get a little lopsided or a person misses playoffs despite having a better record than one who got in on division, but that's life and also representative of real NFL and any other sports

I like that it helps to build the rivalries and increases the fun of it when there's history between the two teams/owners
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:44 am

problemsolver wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:03 am

After using VPs to determine who made the playoffs, you could sort playoff teams by VP and award based on that. So, the 1st and 2nd teams of division A could secure the byes based on having the most VPs, edging out the other division winners.

The record vs VP discussion is a well worn debate.

Walter W.
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Walter W. » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:04 am

Our dynasty league uses two divisions, and they are based on geography and affiliations from various re-draft leagues we have done for nearly three decades. I think it adds to the fun, there is a bit of rivalry between the two divisions since they are from two different cities, and rivalries within the divisions because those owners have competed against each other for a long time.

Divisions also help teams who may be out of it with a single table still have a shot at a playoff spot, so it keeps more owners interested longer. I do think anything more than two divisions makes it easier for underserving teams to take away spots from better teams. Yeah, it can happen with two, but three or four really increases the likelihood.
The One Who Knocks
12 team league, 27 man rosters (more during the offseason), 7 man Practice Squad. Standard league with big play scoring for IDPs.

QB: L. Jackson, K. Mond, K. Murray, A. Richardson, D. Thompson-Robinson
RB: L. Bellamy, Z. Charbonnet, N. Chubb, N. Harris, K. Hunt, K. Ingram, C. Edwards-Helaire, J. Mixon, D. Vaughn, J. Warren, K. Williams
WR: C. Austin, O. Beckham, A. Cooper, C. Davis, J. Downs, M. Goodwin, N. Harry, J. Jefferson, J. Jeudy, T. Johnson, M. Jones, A. Lazard, M. Mims, S. Moore, R. Rice, J. Smith-Schuster, J. Washington, A. Wesley, N. Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: N. Fant, H. Henry, K. Pitts, D. Washington
K: Z. Gonzalez, R. Gould, B. McManus
DL: J. Hughes, T. Wilson
LB: D. Harris, J. Houston, S. Leonard
DB: E. Forbes, A. Robertson

2024 picks: 1, 1, 3, 5, 5, 6, 7
2025 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:26 pm

I like no divisions especially if divisions are (part of) how playoff positions are decided.

I think the top 6 is the top six...not 4 division winners and 2 WC...almost never the top 6. Also playing "divisional opponents" more often means stronger division owners end up eating from each others bowl. in a 16 team league I would say free for all it have double headers in the starting weeks and play every team 1 time
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

problemsolver
Starter
Starter

Postby problemsolver » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:37 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:44 am
problemsolver wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:03 am
After using VPs to determine who made the playoffs, you could sort playoff teams by VP and award based on that. So, the 1st and 2nd teams of division A could secure the byes based on having the most VPs, edging out the other division winners.

I understand how VPs work. I'm just saying that if you're just going to use VPs to determine playoff seeding regardless of whether you win your division or not, then divisions are unnecessary.

Like I said before I'm in leagues that do it both ways, and its not something I would leave a league over. I just find divisions to be mostly arbitrary and never add anything to my playing experience. I've never once bragged that I won my division in any of my leagues. They do on occasion cause issues like the one I outlined above. And fir that reason I prefer leagues that don't use them.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Play in three leagues:

12 team league with three divisions of four teams. Divisions reshuffle every two years.

28 team league with four divisions of seven teams.

30 team league with six divisions of five teams (two conferences).

Personally am a fan of divisions and the rivalries they bring. Division matchups mean extra, similar to the NFL. Find it gives a more ‘high grade feel’ to a league as well, as I simply don’t like the one clump of teams standings. That’s more of a personal thing than anything else.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:04 pm

problemsolver wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:37 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:44 amAfter using VPs to determine who made the playoffs, you could sort playoff teams by VP and award based on that. So, the 1st and 2nd teams of division A could secure the byes based on having the most VPs, edging out the other division winners.

I understand how VPs work. I'm just saying that if you're just going to use VPs to determine playoff seeding regardless of whether you win your division or not, then divisions are unnecessary.

Like I said before I'm in leagues that do it both ways, and its not something I would leave a league over. I just find divisions to be mostly arbitrary and never add anything to my playing experience. I've never once bragged that I won my division in any of my leagues. They do on occasion cause issues like the one I outlined above. And fir that reason I prefer leagues that don't use them.
I actually was trying to show how a league could have divisions without automatically giving the byes to division winners. As others have said, divisions can create more intense rivalries than leagues with no divisions. While not "necessary" from a functional perspective, rivalries add to the league's environment.

You can change all sorts of settings to increase the relevance of divisions while still make seeding VP-based. You could have the division winners earn their buy-in back. Maybe the division-winning playoff teams automatically get their draft picks slotted right after the non-playoff teams, regardless of playoff performance.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:06 pm

We abandoned divisions once we discovered the beauty of double-headers. In a 12-team league, we can play a 22-game double round-robin schedule with everyone playing everyone else twice in just 11 weeks. That leaves us a full five weeks for the postseason, so we play a one-week quarterfinal with two-week semis and a two-week championship game. We actually figured out a way to increase the sample size in both the regular season and the postseason. It’s fantastic. I can’t imagine going back to the fluky one game/week format after seeing how well this has worked over the past two years.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:16 pm

Looks like a fair majority of owners play in leagues with divisions - probably slightly more than I had expected.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:15 pm

M-Dub wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:06 pm We abandoned divisions once we discovered the beauty of double-headers. In a 12-team league, we can play a 22-game double round-robin schedule with everyone playing everyone else twice in just 11 weeks. That leaves us a full five weeks for the postseason, so we play a one-week quarterfinal with two-week semis and a two-week championship game. We actually figured out a way to increase the sample size in both the regular season and the postseason. It’s fantastic. I can’t imagine going back to the fluky one game/week format after seeing how well this has worked over the past two years.
I wish more guys relayed stories like this or we're open to trying double-headers and triple-headers.