How high to draft Rookie QBs

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Re: How high to draft Rookie QBs

Postby maxhyde » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:50 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:29 pm
Goddard wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:08 pm I'd wait till the 3.08. If he's gone by then, then oh well. I wouldn't spend the 2.04 on a QB. I also agree that you don't need QB help. You already have too many as it is in a 1 QB league.
this pretty much ^^^ although with this years qb class 3:8 may be a reach.
Agreed. A QB has to be pretty exceptional to be drafted in the 2nd round in a 12 team league imo.
I might take a QB in the 3rd but I really doubt it unless a QB I really wanted fell to me
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:54 pm

so there you go I quoted goddard max hyde quoted my quote so that is > 35000 posts worth opinions saying
DON'T DO IT before 3:8 of at all
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:58 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:54 pm so there you go I quoted goddard max hyde quoted my quote so that is > 35000 posts worth opinions saying
DON'T DO IT before 3:8 of at all
haha got it.

Thanks y'all
Team 1:
12-team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker, Jimmy G, Mariota, DTR
RB: Taylor, Saquon, Javonte, Conner, C.Evans, TDP
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Olave, Diggs, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Woods, Kraft
'24 picks: 1.08, 3.05

Team 2:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Mahomes, Allen, Russ
RB: Breece, JT, Swift, Javonte, Mostert, Zamir
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Nico, Kupp, Hollywood, Kirk, MT
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Woods
'24 picks: 4.01

Team 3:
QB: Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Z.Wilson, DTR
RB: Saquon, Swift, Achane, Kamara, Ford
WR: Jefferson, AJB, ARSB, Nico, Diontae, OBJ
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Fant, Woods
'24 picks: 4.08, 4.12, 5.12

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:01 pm

You have to look at every draft class in its own light. Last season, I would have definitely taken Baker Mayfield in the first round in a 1 QB league. There are some that are work that cost, he was one of them. Anyone saying that they wouldn't take one even in the second round, I don't really know what to say. I've never been in a league where the best QBs fell that far. The ones you get in the third round are usually the ones who bust.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:13 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:33 pm I'm not advocating using your 1.08 or 2.04 on Haskins if he's there. I don't think your QB situation is that dire, and I'm not sold that this is the year to reach for a QB early. However, I am advising to start tracking the tendencies of the people you're competing against in order to better plan your draft board. If you have an idea of how your competition will draft it, it allows you to maximize the value of your picks.
This is very good & extremely important advice. Further it applies to more than just drafting, but also trading & waivers. The #1 key - imho - is to know your league tendencies. It does always not matter what happens in another league or what another anonymous voice says on a forum - what matters is what is valued in your league.

If QBs are valued highly in your league - you'll need to use a higher draft pick, or accept missing them. And we have seen from Allen, Mahomes, Goff, Wentz & so forth that these guys CAN be key production at times.

BPA means exactly that - Best player available regardless of position. So if your BPA is a QB at Pick X, do not hesitate to take QB at Pick X, if your league history has shown that not doing so is going to hurt you - regardless of what "consensus" says.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:04 pm

skip wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:01 pm You have to look at every draft class in its own light. Last season, I would have definitely taken Baker Mayfield in the first round in a 1 QB league. There are some that are work that cost, he was one of them. Anyone saying that they wouldn't take one even in the second round, I don't really know what to say. I've never been in a league where the best QBs fell that far. The ones you get in the third round are usually the ones who bust.
While I wouldn't have paid a 1st for Mayfield at the time, I was prepared to spend an early 2nd. I didn't have a 1st or 2nd and I was desparately trying to trade up all the way until he fell to me at 3.07. Four QB's went before him: Rosen 2.03, Darnold 3.03, Allen 3.04, and Jackson at 3.05. I'm not sure you can say that any of these guys are flops at this point and the closest would be Rosen who went before the rest. The year before, Trubisky went late in the 3rd. It depends on the league, but you can absolutely find a QB who hits in the 3rd round in 1 QB leagues. I agree that it depends on the class and the individual players, but your leagues seem like an outlier and not the norm.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:39 pm

skip wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:01 pm You have to look at every draft class in its own light. Last season, I would have definitely taken Baker Mayfield in the first round in a 1 QB league. There are some that are work that cost, he was one of them. Anyone saying that they wouldn't take one even in the second round, I don't really know what to say. I've never been in a league where the best QBs fell that far. The ones you get in the third round are usually the ones who bust.
In all of my 1QB leagues they don't start going until the mid to late 2nd except for the Luck/RG3 year, and a lot of times good guys are available in the 3rd. QBs usually aren't worth it in the first round.

Baker wasn't a QB1 last year, so I don't think he should be a shoe-in for a 1st, and I don't think I'd pay it for him unless I was really desperate.

zuzaque
Rookie
Rookie

Postby zuzaque » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:42 pm

What about in a superflex? Would Haskins be worth an early 1st? I know we don't know his landing spot, but do you think his talent puts him in the conversation for 1.01 to 1.05?

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:45 pm

zuzaque wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:42 pm What about in a superflex? Would Haskins be worth an early 1st? I know we don't know his landing spot, but do you think his talent puts him in the conversation for 1.01 to 1.05?
It's a whole different story in superflex. QB's are definitely worth considering from the early 1st on.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:33 pm

I think late-1st or early-2nd is fine if you are sold on the QB and not sold on the other players available. I think I drafted Wentz late-1st/early-2nd over Prosise in 2016 and that's worked out well for me. Wasn't there a poll recently on here that most ppl who had Mahomes made it to the championship game. Qb's in general are a pretty safe investment and some do turn out to be difference makers. Pretty good use of your draft capital rather than a total gamble on a 4th round RB or WR.

There was a thread on this a while back, maybe someone can find it.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:41 pm

[/quote]
There was a thread on this a while back, maybe someone can find it.
[/quote]

Thanks I’ll check it out.
As for Haskins, it depends on where he lands. I’m a big fan but I also need to watch some more tape before I use an earlier pick than I have to
Team 1:
12-team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker, Jimmy G, Mariota, DTR
RB: Taylor, Saquon, Javonte, Conner, C.Evans, TDP
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Olave, Diggs, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Woods, Kraft
'24 picks: 1.08, 3.05

Team 2:
QB: Mahomes, Allen, Russ
RB: Breece, JT, Swift, Javonte, Mostert, Zamir
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Nico, Kupp, Hollywood, Kirk, MT
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Woods
'24 picks: 4.01

Team 3:
QB: Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Z.Wilson, DTR
RB: Saquon, Swift, Achane, Kamara, Ford
WR: Jefferson, AJB, ARSB, Nico, Diontae, OBJ
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Fant, Woods
'24 picks: 4.08, 4.12, 5.12

problemsolver
Starter
Starter

Postby problemsolver » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:16 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:33 pm Most on here will tell you not to draft rookie QB's until late in the 2nd, or somewhere in the third round in start 1QB formats. However, it's important to know your league and how the other owners tend to run their squads. For example, the 2018 QB's went as follows in my 14-teamer: 1.05 - Rosen, 1.10 - Mayfield, 1.11 - Jackson (me), 2.01 - Darnold, 2.02 - Allen.

So as you can see, if you waited too long, you'd not have landed one of the coveted QB's in the class. It's like this often in this league, as everyone wants to land the next elite level passer. Mahomes went around 1.08 in 2017. "Right" or "Wrong" that's just how this league tends to operate.

This. I am in a similar league. All 5 QBs were gone by pick 20 in our draft last year. Owners cling to QBs like they are made of gold encrusted with diamonds. After years of slowplaying the position with the likes of Tyrod, and Blake Bortles, I ended up starting Nick Freeking Mullins in the playoffs.

This year I am making a move for a legit QB. Even if i have to overpay.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:13 pm

Sure you can play the QB waiting game as other owners will be grabbing RBs/WRs who have potential but will never be useful fantasy assets. I can show you years of data to support that. Remember Leonard Hankerson, Leonte Caroo, etc?

Here's where they "should" go, using 2018 as an example:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=176084

But this varies wildly from year to year. Remember a few years back when the top QB prospects were EJ Manuel & Gino Smith? Or Bortles/Bridgewater/Manziel?

But if you believe that a QB will ramp up like Mayfield, Wentz, etc, then 2.4 is a bargain when all is said & done

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:08 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:39 pm
In all of my 1QB leagues they don't start going until the mid to late 2nd except for the Luck/RG3 year, and a lot of times good guys are available in the 3rd. QBs usually aren't worth it in the first round.

Baker wasn't a QB1 last year, so I don't think he should be a shoe-in for a 1st, and I don't think I'd pay it for him unless I was really desperate.
Hindsight being 20/20... Baker was easily worth a late 1st last year in my opinion.

Some leagues go early, some go late. In my 2QB league, the run usually starts late 1st to mid 2nd (which I know is later than the standard says to). Just have to have a 2nd rounder lined up to snag my guy each year

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:25 am

briank wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:04 pm
While I wouldn't have paid a 1st for Mayfield at the time, I was prepared to spend an early 2nd. I didn't have a 1st or 2nd and I was desparately trying to trade up all the way until he fell to me at 3.07. Four QB's went before him: Rosen 2.03, Darnold 3.03, Allen 3.04, and Jackson at 3.05. I'm not sure you can say that any of these guys are flops at this point and the closest would be Rosen who went before the rest. The year before, Trubisky went late in the 3rd. It depends on the league, but you can absolutely find a QB who hits in the 3rd round in 1 QB leagues. I agree that it depends on the class and the individual players, but your leagues seem like an outlier and not the norm.
I know I value QBs higher than many on here do but I've never played in leagues where the top ones in a class fell so far. As to an outlier, how does the top QB of the class go last among those 5? That makes no sense at all.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.