Impact of Arians to the Bucs

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: Impact of Arians to the Bucs

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:29 am

I'm concerned this hire does no favors for RoJo's chances to bounce back from his disastrous rookie year. Arians' coaching history suggests he prefers starting RBs with some weight and power, and significant pass-game ability. None of that describes Jones at this moment in time.

I also worry if Arians at this point is more of a 'name' hire than anything else. I'm ambivalent about it when someone notable comes back out of retirement to do a job; how committed are they really? How motivated? Is the fire still there, or did the guy only come back because he found retirement too boring, and he really only wants to work again because it's a better way to pass time.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:42 am

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:29 am I'm concerned this hire does no favors for RoJo's chances to bounce back from his disastrous rookie year. Arians' coaching history suggests he prefers starting RBs with some weight and power, and significant pass-game ability. None of that describes Jones at this moment in time.

I also worry if Arians at this point is more of a 'name' hire than anything else. I'm ambivalent about it when someone notable comes back out of retirement to do a job; how committed are they really? How motivated? Is the fire still there, or did the guy only come back because he found retirement too boring, and he really only wants to work again because it's a better way to pass time.
It has worked for Vermeil, and Gruden is giving it a go. Arians hasn't been away for nearly as long as Jon, though. Who knows. Football has been his life for how long? Maybe he misses it. I don't think he can be worse than Koetter, but the Rojo thing is a good point. Wondering if Bell, or Fournette is in the makings?

EDIT: Their cap situation would prevent Bell, but Fournette may be workable.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:20 am

I mentioned it on the coaching change thread - I am pumped as I own Winston in both my leagues. Own Evans in both but do not see much of a change, maybe he gets more targets? No clue. I own OJ Howard and not sure what to think. I was lukewarm on him to begin with. Then again Arians has never had a TE with his receiving capabilities. DJax & Barber likely done. Good for Godwin. RoJo may never get a chance now, regardless of how this community feels about him that is unfortunate.

People question Arians like he has been gone forever, he was coaching in 2017.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:29 am

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:29 am I'm concerned this hire does no favors for RoJo's chances to bounce back from his disastrous rookie year. Arians' coaching history suggests he prefers starting RBs with some weight and power, and significant pass-game ability. None of that describes Jones at this moment in time.

I have no proof, but I think a lot of coaches "retire" when they don't want or can't get any of the open head coaching jobs at the time. They're usually getting paid by their former team regardless.

They wait for the next Black Monday and start shopping for a new job again.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:44 am

If Fournette is actually available, I could see the Bucs knocking.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:58 am

The Arians signing should be good for whatever RB ends up starting next year. I hope they give RoJo a shot, but at this point he obviously hasn't earned the right to start with no competition.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:15 am

LJ Smith in 05 and 06 was pretty salty. McNabb not throwing to him when he was wide open late in the game cost me a championship (week 17 championship). I guess maybe I'm the salty one.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:30 am

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:58 am The Arians signing should be good for whatever RB ends up starting next year. I hope they give RoJo a shot, but at this point he obviously hasn't earned the right to start with no competition.
He cant really catch, and hes a liability in pass pro. So unless he gets a hold of an iron man suit, hes a sell if there is any hype.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:44 am

Meh. Arians' reputation is greater than his ability. Tampa was #3 in offense last season, so I do not see where there is going to be a great improvement on that side of the ball. I remember watching the Amazon docu-series the year in which the Cardinals were featured. In one episode, the 2015 darft was featured. It showed the AZ brass and Arians all praying that Ameer Abdullah would fall to them. When Detroit drafted him, they were destroyed and forced themsleves to 'settle' for David Johnson in the next round. It was very revealing. I honestly cannot think of a worse coach for a player like Winston. Arians essentially lets the inmates run the asyllum. There are reasons why he was never a headcoach for over 20 years in the league before stumbling into being an interim headcoach by chance. His run in AZ was with a very good roster and when Carson Palmer retired, suddenly Arians felt the need to 'retire' as well. He inherits a lethal pass catching corps, so I would expect the TB offense to continue to put up good numbers, but nothing revolutionary is coming with this hire if it occurs.
Last edited by dm1129 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:54 am

Bot101 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:30 am
dynastyninja wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:58 am The Arians signing should be good for whatever RB ends up starting next year. I hope they give RoJo a shot, but at this point he obviously hasn't earned the right to start with no competition.
He cant really catch, and hes a liability in pass pro. So unless he gets a hold of an iron man suit, hes a sell if there is any hype.
Trust me, there's no hype. He gets more sarcastic posts than Nathan Peterman at this point.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:13 am

dm1129 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:44 am Meh. Arians' reputation is greater than his ability. Tampa was #3 in offense last season, so I do not see where there is going to be a great improvement on that side of the ball. I remember watching the Amazon docu-series the year in which the Cardinals were featured. In one episode, the 2015 darft was featured. It showed the AZ brass and Arians all praying that Ameer Abdullah would fall to them. When Detroit drafted him, they were destroyed and forced themsleves to 'settle' for David Johnson in the next round. It was very revealing. I honestly cannot think of a worse coach for a player like Winston. Arians essentially lets the inmates run the asyllum. There are reasons why he was never a headcoach for over 20 years in the league before stumbling into being an interim headcoach by chance. His run in AZ was with a very good roster and when Carson Palmer retired, suddenly Arians felt the need to 'retire' as well. He inherits a lethal pass catching corps, so I would expect the TB offense to continue to put up good numbers, but nothing revolutionary is coming with this hire if it occurs.
Abdullah failed in Detroit, that doesn't mean he'd fail in Arizona had he been drafted there. And the same goes for David Johnson. I think a lot of people make this mistake of logic.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:17 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:13 am
dm1129 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:44 am Meh. Arians' reputation is greater than his ability. Tampa was #3 in offense last season, so I do not see where there is going to be a great improvement on that side of the ball. I remember watching the Amazon docu-series the year in which the Cardinals were featured. In one episode, the 2015 darft was featured. It showed the AZ brass and Arians all praying that Ameer Abdullah would fall to them. When Detroit drafted him, they were destroyed and forced themsleves to 'settle' for David Johnson in the next round. It was very revealing. I honestly cannot think of a worse coach for a player like Winston. Arians essentially lets the inmates run the asyllum. There are reasons why he was never a headcoach for over 20 years in the league before stumbling into being an interim headcoach by chance. His run in AZ was with a very good roster and when Carson Palmer retired, suddenly Arians felt the need to 'retire' as well. He inherits a lethal pass catching corps, so I would expect the TB offense to continue to put up good numbers, but nothing revolutionary is coming with this hire if it occurs.
Abdullah failed in Detroit, that doesn't mean he'd fail in Arizona had he been drafted there. And the same goes for David Johnson. I think a lot of people make this mistake of logic.
It is not a mistake in logic, it is seeing years of the 2 players in the NFL.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:56 am

dm1129 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:17 am
Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:13 am
It is not a mistake in logic, it is seeing years of the 2 players in the NFL.
My point is that Arians may be better at using a player to his strengths and developing him than the coaching staff in Detroit.

I bet David Carr would have been a decent NFL QB had he been in New England or Pittsburgh instead of Houston.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:05 pm

Since all the chatter of who at RB for DJ's old coach, anyone think Tevin Coleman gets brought in? Pass catching experience, significantly cheaper than Bell, and doesn't completely give up on RoJo if ownership still believed in him (or just doesn't want to look like a complete miss on a pick to the fanbase after a singles year)

Also, any history of Brucie using a big bodied deep ball receiver like Evans in the past?
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:10 pm

John Brown to the Bucs?
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...