What to make of the AB situation?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: What to make of the AB situation?

Postby Ice » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:07 pm

Phaded wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:58 pm How do we actually know was the one to instigate this? Honest question.

From what I can tell - all we have been privy to is what happened in the end, the instigation has merely been speculated by multiple conflicting reports. It has come to the point where everyone is guessing as to what happened.

I agree Tomlin is not going anywhere.

As a fantasy owner, I would love to see AB end up with the Colts.
Brown is one of the highest paid players in the league at the WR position. He quit practicing, didn't show up Saturday, had his agent call the coach to say he may be able to play Sunday. That is insubordination on any level.

The other players must have been really upset given they needed that game for any chance. While the team pulled out a victory and it didn't matter in the end, he quit and didn't go into battle with his team.

Even if a coach or player said something to make him butt hurt; that is not what a professional does who recently got a 19 million signing bonus with a 17, million average salary.

There is no excuse for what he did. NONE.

I listened to Tomlin's press conference today, it was pretty clear what actually happened with Brown. Why he did what he did is not an excuse for what he did IMO.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:26 pm

"He quit practicing" - what?

Mike Tomlin gave him a rest day on Wednesday (when it was first reported that he quit and stormed off on the team).
Brown was there on Friday, in which he was told to go for an MRI and then directed him to go home after the MRI to rest the knee. (he did not go for the MRI)
Brown then no-showed on the Saturday walkthrough.
Rosenhaus called Tomlin Sunday morning to indicate Brown could play, Brown showed up at the building to play but they declared him inactive. He then left the building at half time.

Those are the facts of the matter - as per Tomlin.
The official characterization has been a "lack of communication".
Everything else has merely been speculation beyond that.

Coming from a team and coach that grossly disrespected Lev Bell, I do not think it is remotely out of question that they have been doing the same with Antonio Brown. This is a team that thinks they can get away with it. Now they are probably quickly realizing that without their two offensive studs, this offense is a shell of itself as they could barely do anything against an atrocious Bengals defense in a "must win" game.

I have no argument that AB should not have done what he did - but I also think he is being unnecessarily chastised for it and without a doubt believe that there is more to this. Everyone has just heard one side of the story and like any story - there are always two sides. All we have to go on right now is what Tomlin has said, but seeing as the initial reports had him abandoning practice on Wednesday; there is some information floating around out there that is not factual.

I for one, am happy to watch this disaster crumble. This team deserves it with how they treated Bell; and Mike Tomlin is finally being exposed as the coach who cannot hold his locker room together when things are not going well. It is easy to appear like a great coach when your team is winning, what shows true character is what your team does when they are not winning. Now, we know.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:28 pm

If Brown did this sh1t on the Pats and they made the playoffs, BB would've benched him the rest of the season lol then again maybe Brown doesn't do this with Brady instead of Be? Who knows.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:29 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:28 pm If Brown did this sh1t on the Pats and they made the playoffs, BB would've benched him the rest of the season lol then again maybe Brown doesn't do this with Brady instead of Be? Who knows.
The Pats respect their players, it would not happen there.
This is a team where neither the coach or the quarterback respect the players.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:32 pm

Could you imagine if a team like the Colts went and got AB & Bell?
Oof.

Although AB has apparently un-followed the Steelers and has started following the 49ers.
Not that he would have any say.

James Harrison will be interviewing Antonio Brown and posting it online.
This will be interesting.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:43 pm

Can't buy the Bell arguments, The team played by the rules even if you don't like them just like a lot of teams do annually. The last time I checked, the coach isn't the one that pays the players.

BB is an equal opportunity player bashing type it seems. Tomlin may coddle certain players more than others but that doesn't excuse AB. Having you agent call......... kind of like asking your wife to call to tell the coach to stop picking on her husband.

They certainly respected Brown given his contract which ironically probably really made Bell mad.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:52 pm

I am not referring to the Bell contract situation, I am talking about the way that Tomlin and other players chastised Bell for holding out because the team would not commit to him. It is easy to be an onlooker and say something like this, but for all we know - if Bell played under the tag he may have had an Earl Thomas-esque situation happen to him. He was publicly called out by Tomlin and many members of the team. Just like what is happening with AB now - that is my point.

Not to mention this whole "team MVP" nonsense (which I have never heard of any team doing) and voting for JuJu? AB was hands down the best player on that team. Seems completely unnecessary have a "team MVP" award. It may have been sympathy for choking in the Saints game, but this offense was not the same without Bell - and they clearly are not and will not be the same without AB.

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:49 pm

Phaded - As a Steelers fan, I strongly dislike Ben, although I do recognize he's a very good QB. I also detest Mike tomlin with every ounce of energy in my body. I've wanted him fired for 8 years. He's the most overrated coach in the league.

With that said, AB has been on a downward spiral for years. This stuff is not new for him. He has skipped practices numerous times before. He's had major blow ups on the field when a pass didn't come his way. He's had issues with coaches in the past and not just Tomlin. Numerous other players have had issues with Brown. Brown has also been doing stupid, reckless things off the field. Brown unfollowed the Steelers on social media and followed the 49'ers. He called Ryan Clark an uncle tom. He's ignoring phone calls from team management and even Art Rooney.

AB is acting like a petulant little child. It's time for him to go. Fans are done with him and so are his teammates

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:24 pm

Phaded wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:52 pm I am not referring to the Bell contract situation, I am talking about the way that Tomlin and other players chastised Bell for holding out because the team would not commit to him. It is easy to be an onlooker and say something like this, but for all we know - if Bell played under the tag he may have had an Earl Thomas-esque situation happen to him. He was publicly called out by Tomlin and many members of the team. Just like what is happening with AB now - that is my point.

Not to mention this whole "team MVP" nonsense (which I have never heard of any team doing) and voting for JuJu? AB was hands down the best player on that team. Seems completely unnecessary have a "team MVP" award. It may have been sympathy for choking in the Saints game, but this offense was not the same without Bell - and they clearly are not and will not be the same without AB.
Want to know why the players turned on Bell and Brown or soon will?

Average salary 2018 for Steelers top players
Big Ben 21.85 Million
A Brown 17 Million
L. Bell 14.5 Million ( Had he signed )
S Tuitt 12 Million
D. DeCastro 10 million

#15 T Edmunds 2.67 Million

Bell would have made 3rd most on team and close to 12 Million more than the 15th highest paid player in 2018

As far as inside team awards go, that is common starting with game balls and captain picks. If Brown is upset about that then he needs to grow up.

Hard to really argue the team wasn't committing to Bell in 2018 When 50 of his teammates would be making between 2 million and 14 Million less last year.

Brown was the 2nd highest paid player on the team by 5 Million Dollars. That is REWARD enough IMO.
FYI
JuJu Smith-Schuster made $1,048,945 in 2018. That is $15,951,000 less than A. Brown.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:46 pm

steelman wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:49 pm Phaded - As a Steelers fan, I strongly dislike Ben, although I do recognize he's a very good QB. I also detest Mike tomlin with every ounce of energy in my body. I've wanted him fired for 8 years. He's the most overrated coach in the league.

With that said, AB has been on a downward spiral for years. This stuff is not new for him. He has skipped practices numerous times before. He's had major blow ups on the field when a pass didn't come his way. He's had issues with coaches in the past and not just Tomlin. Numerous other players have had issues with Brown. Brown has also been doing stupid, reckless things off the field. Brown unfollowed the Steelers on social media and followed the 49'ers. He called Ryan Clark an uncle tom. He's ignoring phone calls from team management and even Art Rooney.

AB is acting like a petulant little child. It's time for him to go. Fans are done with him and so are his teammates
Good Post but very surprised on the Tomlin Comment. He has the 8th best winning percentage all time I think for coaches with 100 or more victories. That said, I get the High standard for Steelers but Tomlin like the two before him win at a high rate.

Elroypedro
Starter
Starter

Postby Elroypedro » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:16 pm

Phaded wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:26 pm "He quit practicing" - what?

Mike Tomlin gave him a rest day on Wednesday (when it was first reported that he quit and stormed off on the team).
Brown was there on Friday, in which he was told to go for an MRI and then directed him to go home after the MRI to rest the knee. (he did not go for the MRI)
Brown then no-showed on the Saturday walkthrough.
Rosenhaus called Tomlin Sunday morning to indicate Brown could play, Brown showed up at the building to play but they declared him inactive. He then left the building at half time.

Those are the facts of the matter - as per Tomlin.
The official characterization has been a "lack of communication".
Everything else has merely been speculation beyond that.

Coming from a team and coach that grossly disrespected Lev Bell, I do not think it is remotely out of question that they have been doing the same with Antonio Brown. This is a team that thinks they can get away with it. Now they are probably quickly realizing that without their two offensive studs, this offense is a shell of itself as they could barely do anything against an atrocious Bengals defense in a "must win" game.

I have no argument that AB should not have done what he did - but I also think he is being unnecessarily chastised for it and without a doubt believe that there is more to this. Everyone has just heard one side of the story and like any story - there are always two sides. All we have to go on right now is what Tomlin has said, but seeing as the initial reports had him abandoning practice on Wednesday; there is some information floating around out there that is not factual.

I for one, am happy to watch this disaster crumble. This team deserves it with how they treated Bell; and Mike Tomlin is finally being exposed as the coach who cannot hold his locker room together when things are not going well. It is easy to appear like a great coach when your team is winning, what shows true character is what your team does when they are not winning. Now, we know.
The offense really did look absolutely abysmal against one of the worst defenses in the league, in Pitt, in a must win game, where their opponent was not only awful but playing for nothing with a coach who knew he was fired already.

Steelers have totally bungled the management of their two best players, and if they lose AB they probably don’t win anything before Ben retires and have to rebuild the franchise around a complete unknown at QB without their traditionally above average defense.

Honestly it looks like Tomlin and management are leading them down a bad road right now.
Team 1
10 team .5 PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: McCaffery, Guice, D Williams, Breida, Drake, Penny, S Ware, R Jones, J Adams, I Smith
WR: A Brown, Jeffery, Robinson, Ridley, Pettis, Miller, Shepard, Callaway, MVS, Washington
TE: Kelce, Herndon

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

*2018 Champ*

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:56 pm

steelman wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:49 pm Phaded - As a Steelers fan, I strongly dislike Ben, although I do recognize he's a very good QB. I also detest Mike tomlin with every ounce of energy in my body. I've wanted him fired for 8 years. He's the most overrated coach in the league.

Good post. I agree that if they can work it out, I would move him, especially while his value is still really high. I would just build around JuJu, Connor and company, hope to get a couple more seasons out of Big Ben. I’ve saw several NFL shows today and heard a couple of people that think when the 2019 season rolls around that everything will be fine, but I don’t agree, like you said, he’s had several incidents. It just keeps getting worse.

Elroypedro
Starter
Starter

Postby Elroypedro » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:30 pm

Ends up this was all a viral ad campaign for The Masked Singer
Team 1
10 team .5 PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: McCaffery, Guice, D Williams, Breida, Drake, Penny, S Ware, R Jones, J Adams, I Smith
WR: A Brown, Jeffery, Robinson, Ridley, Pettis, Miller, Shepard, Callaway, MVS, Washington
TE: Kelce, Herndon

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

*2018 Champ*

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:58 am

Too many parallels between how the Steelers dealt with Bell and Brown. All sorts of posturing in the media. It's time like this I appreciate the real BB and the Patriots.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:23 am

Bell was offered great $ in 2017 especially considering the injury/suspension risk he had posed in the past . He turned it down because he felt entitled to AB $ or rb1 + wr2 $ . Add in the fact the steelers for a good portion of bell's career avg more points per game w/o bell in the lineup than with him on the field the steelers played bell exactly the way they should have . With brown he was paid top of the market $ as he had earned the problem was he started acting like a TO or ocho loco clone at times AFTER he got the cash.

The biggest problem in my eyes is the steelers have an identity crisis in that in the earlier part of ben's career he made big plays and a few huge stat games and the steelers had a great defense . Then ben turned became a thrower instead of a winner and they started the pretty boy offense under haley ben's stats improved but the grittiness evaporated . The steelers became the kind of team they would beat the 1st half of ben's career . Huge stats fun to watch when the offense was really clicking but without the killer instinct to choke teams out once they had them down or were heavily favored especially on the road .
I do not remember the exact total but the last like 8 years the steelers have lost on the road to a team that lost 10+ games in that season in which steelers were heavily favored like 15 times. A few of those games cost the steelers play off trips or a bye week or home field advantage and in reality championships . This years example the loss to the sadsack raiders where chris boswell was made the scapegoat but tomlin should get ripped and likely fired for that performance alone.

Count me as another long time steeler fan that is sick tro death of mike tomlin and his empty cliche' blabbering and AB's antics I think the best course albeit quite remote is to fire tomlin trade AB and move ahead with Ben ,conner, samuels, JUJU , washington and the killer OLINE and see where it leads . Good riddance Bell ,AB & tomlin as the steelers won lombardi trophies with less talent and more grit . Pay mike munchak whatever the hell it takes to keep him as the Oline coach , find a competent head coach ,invest in the defense and the hell with as jesse james said acting like the "football kardashians" .
That act has worn quite thin it is time for an overhaul the steelers.
The steelers need in order a speed wr , an athletic MLB and some secondary help - the incredibly sad part is take away the coaching stupidity or zebra's gifts to new orleans (either one means steelers win) and blown 2 touchdown leads to cleveland and the chargers and the steelers are on a bye this week and people are talking about them being the team no one wants to play this post season.

whew rant over
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci