Re: What to make of the AB situation?

Postby Lotto4Life » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:27 pm

Why does a professional team vote on an mvp? Seems strange to me

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:36 pm

Not sure why AB is getting singled out as immature when the other side of this is a guy that injured himself riding a motor bike without a helmet, has a fairly credible rape accusation against him and publicly mulled retirement in an effort to get his OC fired.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Rasorin
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Rasorin » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:17 pm

ericanadian wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:36 pm Not sure why AB is getting singled out as immature when the other side of this is a guy that injured himself riding a motor bike without a helmet, has a fairly credible rape accusation against him and publicly mulled retirement in an effort to get his OC fired.
Yes, why should we pay attention to what one of the best players in the league does? There are much better places to cover top news stories about premier fantasy assets than this forum. :wall:

jaykay22
Starter
Starter

Postby jaykay22 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:27 am

ericanadian wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:36 pm Not sure why AB is getting singled out as immature when the other side of this is a guy that injured himself riding a motor bike without a helmet, has a fairly credible rape accusation against him and publicly mulled retirement in an effort to get his OC fired.
Agreed. AB may be high maintenance but Ben is about as insufferable as it gets.
#FreeCoreyDavis

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:42 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:24 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:20 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:59 am

Well, this only means that if a team with a ton of cap space thought he was worth it, then they could make a move with Pittsburgh. The Jets for example have a ton of cap space and are desperate for playmakers.
As I understand it, the 21 mil hits Pittsburgh's cap whether he's on the roster or not.

According to overthecap, the 2019 cap hits to the Steelers for these options-
Cut now- 21.120 mil cap charge
Designate as a post June 1 cut- 7 mil cap charge (doesn't speak to the impact on future years)
Trade- 21.120 mil
Trading him after 6/1 may make the most sense then. If they trade him after 6/1, then they save $15M and only have around $7M in dead cap.
Wow - I have only just found out about the cap hit of a traded player from this. If you can trade a player away, on his existing contract, why do you still get a cap hit?? So when the Texans traded away Osweiler - that was just to save the actual cash payout, and didn't have as much of an impact on their cap numbers?

If this is true, AB surely comes back to the Steelers next year. Him and Ben have had tiffs before, right? My guess is they smooth it all over and it's nothing, but Ben probably goes through the whole, will he retire won't he routine again.
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:55 am

I say this is nothing but for sure he goes nowhere until after the june 1st deal. The steelers spent years in cap hell but knocked out a couple lombardis out of the deal in 2005 & 2008 this iteration has not achieved at that level and likely won't it appears. I heard it best the other day as last year chris bosworth turned a 9-7 team into a 13-3 team this year he turned a 13-3 team into a 9-6-1 team . He was just bad this season after being sensational last couple years.
My take brown will be back and playing his arse off in the unlikely event that doesn't happen june 1st would be that date to watch . My hope is if marty bryant is worth a 3rd then AB goes to the raiders for that 2020 oakland 1st and karl joseph .
I seriously doubt steelers eat the dead cap space but with bell's 14.54 $MM rollover and the cap bouncing 10 MM$ more this year they could afford it now more than ever if he persists on acting like a child. JK22 is right ben is a drama queen but brown acting so petulant is ridiculous considering what he is being paid . One other factor of note is this comes from jason canlieforyou ah er lacanfora and he had ben traded out of pittsburgh about 6 or 7 years again saying then it was a near done deal.

Best way to fix the steelers is to FIREMIKETOMLIN TODAY !
PS the reason for the dead cap is bonus $ already paid out divided(pro rated) by less years
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:13 am

clarion contrarion wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:55 am PS the reason for the dead cap is bonus $ already paid out divided(pro rated) by less years
Thanks CC - that makes complete sense, much appreciated.
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:22 am

Some useful articles-
https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/ ... s/aonpgfg/
https://www.cincyjungle.com/platform/am ... t-salaries
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/nfl-of ... chise-tag- brief section on "dead money"- That is the guaranteed money left on a player’s contract at the time he is let go. That money will count against a team’s cap that next year. If a player is cut after June 1, the dead money is split over the next two seasons."
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:48 am

Pet_Smith wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:42 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:24 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:20 am
As I understand it, the 21 mil hits Pittsburgh's cap whether he's on the roster or not.

According to overthecap, the 2019 cap hits to the Steelers for these options-
Cut now- 21.120 mil cap charge
Designate as a post June 1 cut- 7 mil cap charge (doesn't speak to the impact on future years)
Trade- 21.120 mil
Trading him after 6/1 may make the most sense then. If they trade him after 6/1, then they save $15M and only have around $7M in dead cap.
Wow - I have only just found out about the cap hit of a traded player from this. If you can trade a player away, on his existing contract, why do you still get a cap hit?? So when the Texans traded away Osweiler - that was just to save the actual cash payout, and didn't have as much of an impact on their cap numbers?

If this is true, AB surely comes back to the Steelers next year. Him and Ben have had tiffs before, right? My guess is they smooth it all over and it's nothing, but Ben probably goes through the whole, will he retire won't he routine again.
It is to prevent a bunch of silly salary dump trades like we see all the time in the NBA.

That's why the Osweiler trade was so unique. You don't usually see deals like that in the NFL because unlike the NBA you're not just freeing up that space 100%. They really wanted to be rid of him.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:26 am

Not sure where this will end up, but would assume that Brown is indeed back with the Steelers in 2019. But an element I'm keeping in mind is the fact that AB turns 31 this summer, and at some point the decline begins. If the drama continues, the likely outcome down the road is he becomes a T.O., Chad Johnson type of WR who's hassles and dissent aren't worth the production on the field.

He'll then bounce around from team-to-team a bit as they chase his past production until nobody wants any part of him and he fades away. Hopefully AB can get his act together to avoid this type of outcome to end his fantastic career.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:27 pm

And when did Big Ben skip out on his team intentionally? Never. He may be dumb, but he's not a selfish ego maniac like AB.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:35 pm

Big Ben is a selfish egomaniac.
Just in a different way from AB.

I have never seen a "leader" openly criticize so many members of the team.

The Steelers have one of the most dysfunctional locker rooms out there but let us not act like it is BECAUSE of AB.

The real problem is Tomlin. This locker room has been fractured since the Bell drama and it just keeps getting worse.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:45 pm

I will be very surprised if he is NOT traded. The Steelers will put up with plenty like most teams these days but insubordination is not one of them. Brown is becoming a head case to a degree and with the rise of JuJu he is expendable. Brown is an alpha type personality so don't see this situation improving; Moving on makes a lot of sense.

No question he is one of the most talented players in the league so his value will be high to teams desperate for WR talent.

As far as his contract, it won't hurt his trade or the Steelers ability to move him. The cap hit, while large is not more than the annual salary. A team may give an extra pick as added compensation.

Teams that could easily afford to deal for Brown
Colts
Jets
Bills
Cardinals
Broncos
Texans

The Steelers are are in the bottom 3rd in Cap space next year so getting draft picks will assist them in moving on from this mess.

Fantasy outlook: Brown is serious trade candidate for his owners IMO.
Last edited by Ice on Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:54 pm

Phaded wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:35 pm Big Ben is a selfish egomaniac.
Just in a different way from AB.

I have never seen a "leader" openly criticize so many members of the team.

The Steelers have one of the most dysfunctional locker rooms out there but let us not act like it is BECAUSE of AB.

The real problem is Tomlin. This locker room has been fractured since the Bell drama and it just keeps getting worse.
That said, Tomlin isn't going anywhere. The Steelers don't change coaches. This team's window is closing with this group so a lot of player changes will be coming.

Plenty of Ego's to blame on this team. AB is not the only problem for sure but he is the one who instigated this latest issue.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:58 pm

How do we actually know AB was the one to instigate this? Honest question.

From what I can tell - all we have been privy to is what happened in the end, the instigation has merely been speculated by multiple conflicting reports. It has come to the point where everyone is guessing as to what happened. There have even been conflicting reports of when he left (Wednesday or Friday) for example. I feel like at this point it is a bunch of gossip and broken telephone.

I agree Tomlin is not going anywhere.

As a fantasy owner, I would love to see AB end up with the Colts.