Should top seeds get a bonus in the playoffs?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Should top seeds get a bonus in the playoffs?

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:06 am

sloth8u wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:51 am Ive always thought the answer was to eliminate the # of playoff teams. I want the best teams in it for the grand prize, not 1/2 the league or more.

Any playoff loss sucks, losing to a team that really isnt in the ball park of your squad is bs. The best way to deal with that is by not allowing inferior teams in.
How is it BS? The best team isn't entitled to a win against anyone. If you want the best team to be rewarded, then give a prize to the regular season champion.
Last edited by Cameron Giles on Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:11 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:43 pm And we are talking about a 5 point advantage here...

Didn't expect this subject to generate this much tension, uproar. Just want to get a few off-season discussions going here. Let's all just take a chill pill, we are after all talking about fantasy football here, not something with centuries of clearly defined rules and etiquette.
FF is open to interpretation and structure, but giving teams points just seems like a way to cover someone's bleep so that they don't lose to an inferior team. What fun is FF if the paper champion always wins or has rules in place to give them an advantage in an actual H2H? There's always close games in the playoffs

To me, a 1st Round Bye is where it starts and stops.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:30 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:06 am
sloth8u wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:51 am Ive always thought the answer was to eliminate the # of playoff teams. I want the best teams in it for the grand prize, not 1/2 the league or more.

Any playoff loss sucks, losing to a team that really isnt in the ball park of your squad is bs. The best way to deal with that is by not allowing inferior teams in.
How is it BS? The best team isn't entitled to a win against anyone. If you want the best team to be rewarded, then give a prize to the regular season champion.
So you feel the entire league should be in the playoff?

Just my opinion, but have always felt the regular season was a way to eliminate teams. I guess you feel all teams should make the tournament. If thats the case in your league/s.... Great.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:39 am

sloth8u wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:30 am So you feel the entire league should be in the playoff?

Just my opinion, but have always felt the regular season was a way to eliminate teams. I guess you feel all teams should make the tournament. If thats the case in your league/s.... Great.
In any league I've been in, the absolute most teams that make it is 6 (half). I have no issue with that. However, I feel that the best teams in the league shouldn't be given entitlement points to make sure they win. The playoffs typically have a knack for a lot of close games and 5 points is a lot under those circumstances. In a blowout, it helps nobody. But, It basically covers a team on an off day or on the chance their opponent has a really lucky day, which is dumb.

Give money to the regular season winner and keep it moving.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:55 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:39 am
sloth8u wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:30 am So you feel the entire league should be in the playoff?

In any league I've been in, the absolute most teams that make it is 6 (half). I have no issue with that. However, I feel that the best teams in the league shouldn't be given entitlement points to make sure they win. The playoffs typically have a knack for a lot of close games and 5 points is a lot under those circumstances. In a blowout, it helps nobody. But, It basically covers a team on an off day or on the chance their opponent has a really lucky day, which is dumb.

Give money to the regular season winner and keep it moving.
Where we differ is thinking that 1/2 the league are championship worthy teams. Often times, the last few teams in are mediocre. Not always, but often enough that id rather see the deserving teams play in the tourney.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:20 am

sloth8u wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:55 am Where we differ is thinking that 1/2 the league are championship worthy teams. Often times, the last few teams in are mediocre. Not always, but often enough that id rather see the deserving teams play in the tourney.
What is a championship worthy team? FF is mostly luck. You can't just cut it off at the teams that have the best proven players on paper. Players like Damien Williams, Robby Anderson, Derrick Henry, George Kittle and Chris Carson ended up being league winners when it mattered the most. And all of these players could've been had for next to nothing at some point before or during the season. At the end of the day, fate is deciding everything. You could have a lineup full of studs and lose in the first playoff game. It happens in every league.

I don't get wanting to make sure that the best or one of the best paper teams always wins the title. That defeats the purpose of what fantasy football is.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:03 am

i mentioned nothing about "paper teams" making the playoffs...only the most deserving. the original post was about giving the "deserving teams" some sort of advantage. i prefer it when leagues have minimal playoff teams. i know most leagues have 6 or 8, i prefer 4 or 6.

bringing up players comming from nowhere pretty much emphasizes why i prefer minimal teams in the playoffs. we can mentiion alot of players that won titles for mediocre teams.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:16 pm

I agree Sloth. I joined a work redraft league and 8 of 12 teams make playoffs. Top seed(s) get nothing. No bye, no financial reward, nothing except playing a lower seed. We all know anything can happen in single elimination. In this scenario is the only one where I think you can get ‘home field advantage’, as I don’t even think the 8th seed deserves playoffs. A sub-.500 team through 13 weeks can unseat a 11-2 or better team on pure luck. The regular season basically becomes pointless.

I still stand by a bye week being the best approach, and if not that then at least some financial reward for success through 13 weeks of a 16 week season. If there is no benefit, then the first 13 weeks are basically a waste of time IMO. You cut 4 crap teams? Who cares.

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:07 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:16 pm I agree Sloth. I joined a work redraft league and 8 of 12 teams make playoffs. Top seed(s) get nothing. No bye, no financial reward, nothing except playing a lower seed. We all know anything can happen in single elimination. In this scenario is the only one where I think you can get ‘home field advantage’, as I don’t even think the 8th seed deserves playoffs. A sub-.500 team through 13 weeks can unseat a 11-2 or better team on pure luck. The regular season basically becomes pointless.

I still stand by a bye week being the best approach, and if not that then at least some financial reward for success through 13 weeks of a 16 week season. If there is no benefit, then the first 13 weeks are basically a waste of time IMO. You cut 4 crap teams? Who cares.
I agree with pretty much everything you said. That league wouldn't sound very fun to me, but work leagues sometimes are more about just talking trash then the actual league I think.

The 5 points for me are more along the lines of the bye, just a tiny bit more. Not saying I want it in every league, but I don't mind it in the leagues I have it.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:08 pm

For those of you opposed to giving the higher seeds a 5 point bonus, perhaps, as a work around, you would be okay by penalizing the lower seeds 5 points?