Should top seeds get a bonus in the playoffs?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Should top seeds get a bonus in the playoffs?

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:48 pm

BTK wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:04 pm Stupidest rule ever. This is FF, not real football. The home field advantage is for betting and doesn't translate to fantasy. No NFL scoreboards starts out 3-0. The players already have a real built in advantage when they play at home and are in your fantasy lineup.
Yeah, it would be weird to give a designated "home team" or a top seed 3-5 points just for being that. To me, it's an attempt to make sure the best regular season teams win in the playoffs, which isn't any fun because it kills the biggest part of fantasy: Pure Luck. It's like playing against an extra player in the lineup. Some have proposed high seeds being able to switch out a player during the game as a home field advantage too, which is even worse.

The best solution is to just play in a league that rewards the regular season champion with money too.

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:34 pm

I don't get the issue many people have with this.

My main league has been doing it for year, but we also have no payouts for standings pre-playoffs. 5 points for the higher seed except for the finals is exactly how we do it actually, just like Cult suggested. Given that in ppr scores of 160 + are no longer a rarity it has decided exactly 2 games in 7 seasons.

I don't see the big deal.

RB6
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby RB6 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:59 pm

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:34 pm I don't get the issue many people have with this.

My main league has been doing it for year, but we also have no payouts for standings pre-playoffs. 5 points for the higher seed except for the finals is exactly how we do it actually, just like Cult suggested. Given that in ppr scores of 160 + are no longer a rarity it has decided exactly 2 games in 7 seasons.

I don't see the big deal.
This IS the issue.
.5PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
LJax, Burrow, Carr, Huntley, Heinicke, Cunningham
Adams, Kupp, Deebo, M Brown, Kirk, Wiliams, C Samuel, Palmer, E. Moore, Hodgins, Hutchinson
CMC, Barkley, Mostert, Ford, Moss, Dobbins, Dillon, Kelley, Tucker
Andrews, Higbee

PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
Mahomes, Purdy, Dalton, Henicke, Trask, Zappe
Henry, Pacheco, Robinson, Wilson, Ford, Chandler, Deuce
Hill, Kupp, Shaheed, Toney, Lazard, Metchie, Mingo, Slayton, Shenault, Atwell, Hutchinson
Pitts, Waller, Washington

PPR Best Ball Dynasty SF .5TEP
Stroud, Cousins, Willis, Mariota, Cunningham
Walker, J Cook, Miller, Zamir, Rodriguez, Carter, Penny
St. Brown, Aiyuk, DJ Moore, London, Doubs, Metchie, Scott, Claypool
Kincaid, Dulcich, Fant, Turner, Hurst

TB3falcons
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby TB3falcons » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:14 pm

Top seeds are already the best teams, why give them another advantage...
16 Team PPR(.5 for RBs)/RetY/Balanced IDP League (QB,RB,2WR,TE,4FLX,PK,PN,DT,2DE,3LB,2CB,2S,1DFLX) 2018 & 2019 LC
QB- Mahomes, Ryan
RB- Gordon, Ingram, Swift, Gore, Hyde, Ogunbowale
WR- Hopkins, KAllen, Lockett, Golladay, Fitz, Edelman, MJones, Crowder, Cobb, Claypool, AGG, Miller (CHI), Humphries, Conley, David Moore, Demarcus Robinson, Gordon :boohoo:
TE- Olsen, Ian Thomas, Njoku
PK- Butker
PN- Cooke
DT- CJones, Ogunjobi, Kinlaw
DE- Hunter, DLaw, Young, Anderson, Turay
LB- Littleton, Mosley, D. Davis, Schobert, Bush, AJ Johnson, Walker, Evans, Burgess
CB- C Davis, Ward, Murphy-Bunting
S- JJ3, Walker, Williams, Rapp, Parks

Taxi: Oliver, Laird, Collier, Cominsky, Phillips, JAXWilliams, Harris, Willis

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:39 pm

Seems like just another gimmick to avoid a bad beat or a team losing when you think they should win. In the participation trophy society I reckon we should not be shocked at such expectations . Boo hoo boo hoo I had a bad beat if only I could have forced the league to accept that 5 point home field advantage top artificially boost my score and help me win despite being outscored 140 to 144 then I would be simba or mufasa rather than scar .... perpetual effing pass !
See how it works is to be a credible winner you must learn how to accept defeat and learn from it to get better thus correcting mistakes and improve. ..... or you can just game the system and keep tweaking stuff to suit your current whims hoping at some point the last tweak will make you the smartest manager ever .

choose your own path!
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

RB6
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby RB6 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:17 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:16 pm
RB6 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:59 pm
This IS the issue.
In your mind, yes.
Umm yep, my thought came from my mind. Glad we were able to clear that up.
.5PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
LJax, Burrow, Carr, Huntley, Heinicke, Cunningham
Adams, Kupp, Deebo, M Brown, Kirk, Wiliams, C Samuel, Palmer, E. Moore, Hodgins, Hutchinson
CMC, Barkley, Mostert, Ford, Moss, Dobbins, Dillon, Kelley, Tucker
Andrews, Higbee

PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
Mahomes, Purdy, Dalton, Henicke, Trask, Zappe
Henry, Pacheco, Robinson, Wilson, Ford, Chandler, Deuce
Hill, Kupp, Shaheed, Toney, Lazard, Metchie, Mingo, Slayton, Shenault, Atwell, Hutchinson
Pitts, Waller, Washington

PPR Best Ball Dynasty SF .5TEP
Stroud, Cousins, Willis, Mariota, Cunningham
Walker, J Cook, Miller, Zamir, Rodriguez, Carter, Penny
St. Brown, Aiyuk, DJ Moore, London, Doubs, Metchie, Scott, Claypool
Kincaid, Dulcich, Fant, Turner, Hurst

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:21 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:39 pm Seems like just another gimmick to avoid a bad beat or a team losing when you think they should win. In the participation trophy society I reckon we should not be shocked at such expectations . Boo hoo boo hoo I had a bad beat if only I could have forced the league to accept that 5 point home field advantage top artificially boost my score and help me win despite being outscored 140 to 144 then I would be simba or mufasa rather than scar .... perpetual effing pass !
See how it works is to be a credible winner you must learn how to accept defeat and learn from it to get better thus correcting mistakes and improve. ..... or you can just game the system and keep tweaking stuff to suit your current whims hoping at some point the last tweak will make you the smartest manager ever .

choose your own path!
What a bunch of hogwash.

Here's another idea - this is nothing but a ridiculous hobby to begin with, so play in whatever league you have the most fun in. If for you that means keeping it as random as possible to then revel in your bad beats and insult those who don't, then hey - all power to you!

I prefer trying out new rules and then seeing if I like them or not. And if you manage to come out in first or 2nd place in preseason I don't think getting a little home field advantage is a big deal, or even a bad idea. After all, they earned that spot through 13 weeks.

OR I guess you could just see an idea such as this one as just another step in the obvious ****fication of society and the continuation of loss of any and all morals. :roll:

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:21 pm

TB3falcons wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:14 pm Top seeds are already the best teams, why give them another advantage...
You could ask the NFL the same question.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:43 pm

And we are talking about a 5 point advantage here...

Didn't expect this subject to generate this much tension, uproar. Just want to get a few off-season discussions going here. Let's all just take a chill pill, we are after all talking about fantasy football here, not something with centuries of clearly defined rules and etiquette.

ajf235
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ajf235 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:35 am
Servo wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:13 am The biggest advantage we've given our #1 is just like the NFL:

- Round 1 Bye
- Round 2 Play the Lowest Available Seed
I can accept an argument along the lines of "the variance of FF is what makes it fun". This argument doesn't ring right to me because the higher seeds in the NFL DO get advantages aside from the bye- they get home field advantage. If anything, this idea is an attempt to keep it more true to the NFL, down to providing no points edge for the championship game, just like a neutral field Super Bowl.
My issue with this concept is that unlike the NFL, fantasy teams are incapable of playing defense against their opponent so it’s not actually like the NFL where best record and which teams you beat actually says anything about how good your team is. If you suggested something like this and it was based on points alone I might be able to get on board with it, but imo if someone is gonna prove/earn anything it should go to the guy with most points because they’re actually the best team. I’ve seen plenty of highly seeded teams that were garbage and had bleep owners who average 105 ppg but somehow manage to play someone who drops 95 against them every single week.

kingnesta
Role Player
Role Player

Postby kingnesta » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:45 pm

I’ve had it in one of my leagues and this is the first year that it gave someone an advantage. We also do not use it in the championship game. Only the first two rounds of the playoffs.

I personally don’t mind it. We only give a three point advantage to the home team, so maybe that is the reason it has never come up before this year.
12 team-PPR-49 man roster IDP 1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex(rb/wr/te), K, 1 DT, 1 DE, 2 LB, 1 DB, 1 Flex (DL,LB,DB)
QB - Ryan, Winston, McCarron
RB - Hunt, Hyde, CJ Anderson, Dixon, Stewart
WR - Julio Jones, Hopkins, Allen, Jeffrey, Cobb, Moncrief, Floyd, Nelson, Rogers, Godwin
TE - Olsen, Ertz, Doyle, Cook
K - Lutz
DT - McCoy, Linval Joseph
DE - Mario Edwards, Avril, Graham
LB - Kirksey, Alexander, Timmons, Trevathan, McKinney, Minter
DB - Jenkins, Byron Jones

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:50 pm

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:21 pm
clarion contrarion wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:39 pm Seems like just another gimmick to avoid a bad beat or a team losing when you think they should win. In the participation trophy society I reckon we should not be shocked at such expectations . Boo hoo boo hoo I had a bad beat if only I could have forced the league to accept that 5 point home field advantage top artificially boost my score and help me win despite being outscored 140 to 144 then I would be simba or mufasa rather than scar .... perpetual effing pass !

choose your own path!
What a bunch of hogwash.
Funny, but I think clarion's take is dead on point and perfectly stated.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:16 am

skip wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:50 pm
qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:21 pm

choose your own path!
What a bunch of hogwash.
Funny, but I think clarion's take is dead on point and perfectly stated.
Then I think you both take this game a little too seriously. Not necessarily the take that home field advantage is not a good idea. But the way it is stated, well, judging an entire generation or society as a whole based on a small rule suggestion on a fantasy football forum is just... :think:
Never mind the fact that his "argument" (if that's what you want to call it) works both ways. Maybe the team that lost to the bonus should have just been a better manager in the preseason to gain the advantage himself. :roll:

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:51 am

Ive always thought the answer was to eliminate the # of playoff teams. I want the best teams in it for the grand prize, not 1/2 the league or more.

Any playoff loss sucks, losing to a team that really isnt in the ball park of your squad is bs. The best way to deal with that is by not allowing inferior teams in.