Halftime adjustments

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
waynesworld1234
Starter
Starter

Halftime adjustments

Postby waynesworld1234 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:33 pm

I’ve always thought it would be fun to have a league where owners could submit halftime adjustments and swap starting players at halftime of their respective real-life game with bench players yet to start the second half. Whether it be a first half injury, or game flow, it would add another element of ownership to the game. Has anyone ever heard of a league like this? Not sure how it would/could work.

waynesworld1234
Starter
Starter

Re: Halftime adjustments

Postby waynesworld1234 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:33 pm

If this isn’t ‘dynasty league discussion’ than apologies in advance.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:01 pm

No site that I am aware of permits this and I’m not sure many commissioners would want to take on the level of work this would require.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:06 pm

Sounds like too much work for my style

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:28 pm

Technically the fantasy season is like 13-16 quarters long. ;)

Sounds like a fun idea - just tough to implement.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:12 pm

Yeah too much... Good thought, but each player hits the half at different times

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:51 pm

It could never work. Halftime isn't at a consistent time across all games.

May I suggest something for your redraft leagues... My sister played in one for years that at midseason they threw everyone back and drafted an entirely new team. Prize money for each half and overall winner. The draft midseason used current standings to determine draft order.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:06 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:12 pm Yeah too much... Good thought, but each player hits the half at different times
Agreed. Sounds like a cool concept but a colossal pain in the bleep to police.

XclickX
Role Player
Role Player

Postby XclickX » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:15 pm

Hitting the half at different times doesn’t mean anything. For instance if this proposed “format” existed all players would be unlocked once their game hits halftime( all first half points count towards your weekly score) . So take something like KA getting hurt week 14. At the halftime of the Chargers game that Thursday night you bench KA because all players become editable when they reach halftime. At this point you put KA on your bench and then insert any other WR on your roster when his game reaches halftime( the replacement players’ points only get credited to your team for his second half scoring). Could be you have Mike Williams and put him in Thursday night or it could be someone from any game Sunday or even Monday night. I love the idea and always thought about this in fantasy baseball. Why can’t I just remove Mookie Betts on Sunday night baseball after he locked up the batting average category for the week? Then he goes 0-3 his final 3 ABs and I lose BA for the week. I should be able to remove him after a half inning of play if I want! Just like a real manager. Haha.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:08 am

I'll also add another problem to the mix that this would grant an unfair advantage to owners who are available for NFL games to make these changes in real time. Kind of like those ridiculous leagues that have FCFE waivers still open while games are being played.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

problemsolver
Starter
Starter

Postby problemsolver » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:41 am

MFL has an option to designate back up players. I'm in a league that uses them. The substitution is done manually by the commissioner. I'm nit sure if he has to manualy adjust the score. This is from our bylaws:

Backup Players:
Each team can include in their submitted lineup up to five substitute players.
- Only one player per position is allowed in each week's lineup.
- If two of the same position are submitted, both players will become ineligible to be inserted in the game.
- Any starter who misses the game due to injury (such as a late scratch), or a player who leaves the game due to injury in the first half and does not return is eligible to be replaced by a sub.
- Starters on bye, suspension, or ejected are not eligible for substitution.
- Sub requests must be posted on the league message board no later than noon on Tuesday following the end of the league week.
- Lineups must remain legal when making substitutions and subs or potential subs are locked in or out of the lineup when their game starts.

waynesworld1234
Starter
Starter

Postby waynesworld1234 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:22 pm

XclickX wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:15 pm Hitting the half at different times doesn’t mean anything. For instance if this proposed “format” existed all players would be unlocked once their game hits halftime( all first half points count towards your weekly score) . So take something like KA getting hurt week 14. At the halftime of the Chargers game that Thursday night you bench KA because all players become editable when they reach halftime. At this point you put KA on your bench and then insert any other WR on your roster when his game reaches halftime( the replacement players’ points only get credited to your team for his second half scoring). Could be you have Mike Williams and put him in Thursday night or it could be someone from any game Sunday or even Monday night. I love the idea and always thought about this in fantasy baseball. Why can’t I just remove Mookie Betts on Sunday night baseball after he locked up the batting average category for the week? Then he goes 0-3 his final 3 ABs and I lose BA for the week. I should be able to remove him after a half inning of play if I want! Just like a real manager. Haha.
This was along the lines of what I’m thinking, although you lost me on baseball.

Sounds like a pipe dream though. Unless the sites implement some type of configurable setting to make the commish life easy.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:34 pm

I do like the idea, particularly for first-half injuries. I agree though, it would give a major advantage to owners who have nothing to do during game time.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:12 pm

I wish that the platforms had a system where you can designate a substitute player that would swap in for a player of yours that was a game-time decision, questionable, etc. One that you have to specify in advance. This past weekend, I had Gurley tentatively in my lineup, with Sutton as my pivot. I was able to manually swap them out myself, but if the platform could support that automated swap, that would be neato. I've had some times on Sunday where I've been hiking and out of range.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:55 pm

I've always thought it would be cool to allow a very limited number (2-3) substitutions each year ... you could use them for surprise inactives, early-injuries or save the substitutions for your playoff match-ups.