Trade Deadline or not

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Trade Deadline or not

Postby skip » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:52 am

CubfanAA wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:46 am
skip wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:52 am If you have a deadline at all, it shouldn't be until after the last week of the regular fantasy season. Personally, I favor having no deadline but haven't ever been in a league that did it that way. They all shut down for the fantasy post season. I don't like closing them any earlier. Leaving them open allows another opportunity for rebuilding teams to improve by dealing off short term assets. I don't see that as a bad thing for the health of a league.
selling off short term assets is not something that needs to be done the last week of the fantasy season or playoffs. Rebuilding teams can definitely make that decision by week 10-12 (or whatever week a deadline is set for).
I mentioned using a deadline right before the fantasy playoffs. My league shuts it down before kickoff of week 12. It's too early. So many teams still in contention at that point that you don't know which is the correct decision. I prefer to run all of my teams with the goal of reaching the playoffs because I know at that point we're dealing with week to week luck and average teams can win titles.

So flip it around... What if you're a strong team and suddenly you lose a stud? Why should the opportunity not be there to replace him via trade? Doesn't that injury have the potential to "drastically alter" game outcomes? This becomes a huge problem the earlier you set the deadline. The idea of putting it as early as week 10 is just crazy, imo.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:06 am

I have two dynasty leagues and one has a deadline (week 11) the other doesn't. I can tell you that the one that has a deadline isn't as fun once the deadline comes. It's nice the days leading up to the deadline as a flurry of trading happens, but once it hits, you kind of just hope you have enough depth to win the ship.

In the other league with out a deadline, it's fun because even though I've been unsuccessful making any trades, I still have the talks because it's still an option. I find that those out of the hunt really inflate the prices knowing that they may hold the one piece you need to win the ship. I think this time of year also helps rebuilding teams turn their teams around faster because those in the hunt loosen the purse strings and give up more equity than they should to rebuilding teams.

I get the pros and cons of both, but if I had to choose one, I'd choose no deadline. It's just fun to be able to do things. Yes, you can buy a championship, but this is also dynasty so a short term move can really hurt you for years to come. For me, it's about having fun, and trading is fun, so why cut it off. If you wanted to do a compromise, make it so that only non-contenders can trade with each other, and contenders can trade with each other (and maybe the iffy folks can trade with everyone). That way you limit the willingness of those tanking to give up studs to guys in the hunt because they can only trade to those out of the hunt and most likely they aren't good trade partners.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

ravn88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ravn88 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:18 pm

kamihamster wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:06 am I have two dynasty leagues and one has a deadline (week 11) the other doesn't. I can tell you that the one that has a deadline isn't as fun once the deadline comes. It's nice the days leading up to the deadline as a flurry of trading happens, but once it hits, you kind of just hope you have enough depth to win the ship.

In the other league with out a deadline, it's fun because even though I've been unsuccessful making any trades, I still have the talks because it's still an option. I find that those out of the hunt really inflate the prices knowing that they may hold the one piece you need to win the ship. I think this time of year also helps rebuilding teams turn their teams around faster because those in the hunt loosen the purse strings and give up more equity than they should to rebuilding teams.

I get the pros and cons of both, but if I had to choose one, I'd choose no deadline. It's just fun to be able to do things. Yes, you can buy a championship, but this is also dynasty so a short term move can really hurt you for years to come. For me, it's about having fun, and trading is fun, so why cut it off. If you wanted to do a compromise, make it so that only non-contenders can trade with each other, and contenders can trade with each other (and maybe the iffy folks can trade with everyone). That way you limit the willingness of those tanking to give up studs to guys in the hunt because they can only trade to those out of the hunt and most likely they aren't good trade partners.
I dont like that fact that you can buy a ship.
But why not let it be open for everyone who isnt in the race for the ship ?
Im in a SF, and I Wanna rebuilde but have to wait until the Season is over Because og the trade deadline..
Team 1 : 1QB 2RB 3 WR 1TE 1Flex 1K 1TM 2 IR 12 Keepers

QB: Carson Wentz, P. Mahomes
RB: A. Jones, MGIII, Dobbins, L. Bell, Ingram, J Williams & Gaskin
WR: D. Hopkins, J. Jones, K. Allen, J Crowder, Humpries & Agolor
TE: E. Engram, Trey Burton, V Davis & J. Doyle

Team 2: 1QB 1 SF 3RB 5WR 2TE 2FLEX DEF 26 Keepers 2019 Champ :thumbup: 2020 third place

QB: J. Allen Wentz Watson D. Lock.
RB: Barkley Zeke CEH J. Robinson D. Freeman Penny
WR: M. Thomas Cooper Godwin Juju J. Washington Renfrow, Jeudy, R. Moore TreQuan, P. Williams
TE: Waller Engram OJH & Everett
DEF: Pats & Browns

Team 3: 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX DEF K

QB: Wilson Wentz Tannehill Brees Haskins Foles
RB: CMC Zeke Miles CEH AP J. Jackson B. Scott
WR: Evans Adams Landry Metcalf E. Sanders Lazard
TE: Engram Hurts Ebron Herndon

A-train
Starter
Starter

Postby A-train » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:38 pm

I actually prefer not having a trade deadline. Its dynasty buying a championship this year costs your future. And if you're out of it and can get more to sell you stud why not. I hate limiting what people can do with their teams. If you are that mad someone bought a championship then do something about it and buy players also. I have teams that shouldn't have competed this year make the semifinals. I decided not to buy pieces at the cost of my young core. Lost in both semis. It's fantasy and anything can happen. So let people do what they feel is best without limiting them.
Team 1: France Les Bleus: 20 team .5 ppr dynasty league. Starters in Bold
QB: Andrew Luck, Marcus Mariota
RB: Ezekiel Elliot, Alex Collins, D'onta Foreman, Chris Carson, James White, Kenneth Dixon
WR: Mike Williams, Chris Godwin, DJ Moore, Laquon Treadwell, Taywan Taylor, Josh Malone
TE: Eric Ebron, Hunter Henry, Adam Shaheen
D/ST: Patriots, Saints

Team 2: New England Patriots: 24 Team standard league. Starters in Bold
QB: Patrick Mahommes, Josh Rosen
RB: Royce Freeman, Nick Chubb, Phillip Lindsay, Derius Guice, Melvin Gordon
WR: DJ Moore, Courtland Sutton, DJ Chark, Desean Hamilton, Laquon Treadwell, Equanimous St. Brown, James Washington
TE: Gerald Everett, Adam Shaheen, Hunter Henry
Def: Titans

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:49 am

I'm all for having no trade deadline. It allows for beauty trades like this:

Team in the ship gives up: Gurley, Hopkins and Jordan Thomas.

He receives: Kamara, AB and Vance MacDonald.

Champ or nuthin'!
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks