Ian Thomas: Start the Hype?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Ian Thomas: Start the Hype?

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:42 am

Where does he rank in the following? Assuming none are must starts on your team and moreso bye week fill in and injury insurance

Ian Thomas, Goedert, Gisecki, Herndon, Everett, Burton, Hooper (listed in no particular order)

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:36 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:42 am Where does he rank in the following? Assuming none are must starts on your team and moreso bye week fill in and injury insurance

Ian Thomas, Goedert, Gisecki, Herndon, Everett, Burton, Hooper (listed in no particular order)
Hooper is at the top, he's a top 6ish TE this year. I'd have Thomas in a group with Herndon and Goedert, but he'll have a better opportunity than Goedert, so he'd be just ahead of him. I am low on Burton in Dynasty terms, I'd have him below them, and then Gesicki and Everett after that.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:52 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:36 am
Jigga94 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:42 am Where does he rank in the following? Assuming none are must starts on your team and moreso bye week fill in and injury insurance

Hooper is at the top, he's a top 6ish TE this year. I'd have Thomas in a group with Herndon and Goedert, but he'll have a better opportunity than Goedert, so he'd be just ahead of him. I am low on Burton in Dynasty terms, I'd have him below them, and then Gesicki and Everett after that.
Nice, thanks. Good to see that Hooper isn't still that underrated. I haven't seen much of Herndon that I'm in love with but would have those 2 together

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:54 pm

ericanadian wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:55 am
sammyz wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:44 am I'm holding him I think. It's too easy to see Olsen retiring this year, hurt that foot twice, putting him out for the season on multiple occasions now, he'll be 34 and he's got the broadcast job lined up already. Thomas is the future and soon. They spent an early 4th on him, which was ahead of George Kittle, not that that guarantees anything, but the Panthers obviously liked him more than they did Kittle. Measurables are there. He's half a step behind Kittle in speed but he's stronger it seems. Only had one real year of production in college so he's still polishing and I think he could be in for a big step forward next season.
Kittle was drafted last year. Thomas was drafted this year. Their draft position means nothing relative to whether the Panthers liked one more than the other.
Boutta post the same thing. I think people are underrating Thomas’ ball tracking ability and big, but soft hands for a TE. Not sure how much blocking acumen he has, but I picked him up in both my leagues because the physical skill set is there to be a good TE1. Obviously that doesn’t mean much nowadays tho :lol:
I may or may not be related to Bryan Edwards

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:59 pm

alewilliam789 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:54 pm
sammyz wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:44 am I'm holding him I think. It's too easy to see Olsen retiring this year, hurt that foot twice, putting him out for the season on multiple occasions now, he'll be 34 and he's got the broadcast job lined up already. Thomas is the future and soon. They spent an early 4th on him, which was ahead of George Kittle, not that that guarantees anything, but the Panthers obviously liked him more than they did Kittle. Measurables are there. He's half a step behind Kittle in speed but he's stronger it seems. Only had one real year of production in college so he's still polishing and I think he could be in for a big step forward next season.
Kittle was drafted last year. Thomas was drafted this year. Their draft position means nothing relative to whether the Panthers liked one more than the other.
Boutta post the same thing. I think people are underrating Thomas’ ball tracking ability and big, but soft hands for a TE. Not sure how much blocking acumen he has, but I picked him up in both my leagues because the physical skill set is there to be a good TE1. Obviously that doesn’t mean much nowadays tho :lol:
One thing I did hear about was that the Panthers had a bunch of trade offers for that pick. It was the first pick on day 3?, so there was a full day of people being able to call Carolina and try and move up. The Panthers rejected a number of offers to take him, so they did have a desire to land him.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:02 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:59 pm
alewilliam789 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:54 pm

One thing I did hear about was that the Panthers had a bunch of trade offers for that pick. It was the first pick on day 3?, so there was a full day of people being able to call Carolina and try and move up. The Panthers rejected a number of offers to take him, so they did have a desire to land him.
I remember watching the combine and Greg Olsen was covering jugs, 40, and blocking. In jugs spefically I remember him boasting about Thomas’ jugs reps and his speed/quickness for his size. Wouldn’t be suprised if Olsen also put his stamp of approval for the front office as well.
I may or may not be related to Bryan Edwards

badbuddah
Captain
Captain

Postby badbuddah » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:51 pm

Now I won't get all giddy and say the guy is the next Olsen, because Olsen did ALL the right things including being a good blocker. Thomas may have issues run blocking and that could limit his time on the field. It sounds that he has all the receiving skills one would want from the position however.
12 Team UNLIMITED Keeper / 23 Roster 1.0-PPR: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB/TE, 1 K, 1 DEF 2 IR - 11th Year

QB: L. Jackson, J. Browning
RB: Aaron Jones, D'Ernest Johnson, E. Mitchell, Dalvin Cook, Jamaal Williams, Alexander Mattison, K. Miller, P. Taylor
WR: R. Doubs, G. Pickens, Christian Kirk, Juju, D. Hopkins, D. Wicks, K. Boutte
TE: Z. Ertz, C. Okonkwo, Trey McBride, Tucker Kraft
K: T. Bass, J. Moody
DEF: San Francisco

dmac37
Role Player
Role Player

Postby dmac37 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:55 am

I'm hoping with Cam having a clipped wing that the Panther offense keeps giving looks to Thomas rather than throwing down field. Saints are tough against TE's but Thomas is getting too many targets lately to bench.
12 Team PPR Scoring:
QB: Purdy, Pickett, Howell, Rodgers
RB: Bijan, Kamara, A. Jones Spears Allgeier, Tucker, Hunt
WR: ARSB, Ridley, Nacua, E. Moore, Hollywood, Addison, Mingo, Mooney,
M. Thomas, Gallup
TE: Hockenson, Ferguson
PK:
DST: Ravens

12 Team Superflex PPR Scoring:
QB: Fields, Tua, Howell, White
RB: J. Taylor, A. Jones, Pierce, Swift , K. Miller, Hunt, Ford,
WR: Pittman, Deebo, Godwin, Ridley, Gabe Davis, E. Moore, Mooney, Toney, Q. Johnson
TE: Ferguson, Okonkwo L. Thomas