Week 14

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Week 14

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:32 am

Weeks like this are a healthy reminder that fantasy football is 90% luck.

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:46 am

So how much of a fraud is Jared Goff? A medium-level fraud, a high-level fraud?

Don't get me wrong, when everything's going well, nice sunny warm weather, Gurley running for a billion yards, OL giving him forever to throw, McVay calling amazing plays, he's great -- maybe the most accurate passer in the league even -- but take some of that away and he looks like a goddamn train wreck.

I guess it's a meme that he was bad under Fisher and now he's great under McVay but maybe the reality lies somewhere in-between? How good would he be in a different offense? Specifically I wonder how he'd do in Philly? Unlike a lot of other young QBs, he can't create anything for himself. He's a complete statue back there.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:16 am

Valhalla wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:00 pm Part of it is they have one of the toughest schedules in the league, but they are notably more predictable. A larger part of it is Cousins staring down his targets. Thielen and Diggs bail him out often. He can throw very accurately but he doesn’t seem to read the field well and definitely telegraphs his throws. Keenum was inaccurate but had pocket mobility and didn’t stare down anyone. Too bad we couldn’t just merge the two and then split them again with the good attributes going one way and the bad going the other.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:55 am

Multiple Scorgasms wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:46 am So how much of a fraud is Jared Goff? A medium-level fraud, a high-level fraud?

Don't get me wrong, when everything's going well, nice sunny warm weather, Gurley running for a billion yards, OL giving him forever to throw, McVay calling amazing plays, he's great -- maybe the most accurate passer in the league even -- but take some of that away and he looks like a goddamn train wreck.

I guess it's a meme that he was bad under Fisher and now he's great under McVay but maybe the reality lies somewhere in-between? How good would he be in a different offense? Specifically I wonder how he'd do in Philly? Unlike a lot of other young QBs, he can't create anything for himself. He's a complete statue back there.
He has a bad game(the entire offense was terrible) and he is a fraud? Simply ridiculous. When Mahomes has a bad game, you will be on here saying the same thing? Seriously, it will not surprise me at all if Goff has a better career than Mahomes.

By the way, you need to realize Mahomes is having the year he is having because of his situation as well.....

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:56 am

dm1129 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:55 am
Multiple Scorgasms wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:46 am So how much of a fraud is Jared Goff? A medium-level fraud, a high-level fraud?

He has a bad game(the entire offense was terrible) and he is a fraud? Simply ridiculous. When Mahomes has a bad game, you will be on here saying the same thing? Seriously, it will not surprise me at all if Goff has a better career than Mahomes.

By the way, you need to realize Mahomes is having the year he is having because of his situation as well.....
I don't think Goff is a fraud, and both Goff and Mahomes are certainly enhanced by their coaches and schemes, but Mahomes's talent is on a different level than Goff's 100%...watch the throws that Mahomes makes. I want to say that half of Mahomes's throws that I watch immediately make me wonder HOW?? and think of this meme:

Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:57 am

After watching that game last night I'd say both Goff and Trubisky are f*cking frauds. High level garbage frauds. The Giants put up 30 on the Bears last week. THE GIANTS. I'd say the reality is they are both mediocre and have great offensive minded coaches (McVay/Nagy) who are making lemonade from the piss that both their qbs are.
Both of them looked completely frozen and not up to the challenge. Missing wide open receivers, misplacing throws, reacting in slow motion to the plays developing in front of them. Unfortunately I own both of them, in superflex leagues.

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:00 am

^ Obviously not just one game, although this was the perfect game to highlight it. He has terrible home-road splits.

And yeah, no doubt Mahomes has it pretty good, although he's still proving to be special even with no Watkins, no Hunt, a gimpy Hill and an OL that gave up pressure almost every single play.

Not really worth comparing them, though. There is no comparison at all. Goff vs Wentz is where I'm curious.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:19 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:56 am

I don't think Goff is a fraud, and both Goff and Mahomes are certainly enhanced by their coaches and schemes, but Mahomes's talent is on a different level than Goff's 100%...watch the throws that Mahomes makes. I want to say that half of Mahomes's throws that I watch immediately make me wonder HOW?? and think of this meme:

It is very easy to see the arm talent of Mahomes, that is why so many owners are amazed by him, however playing QB in the NFL is very much a mental endeavor and more important. Brady is completely unexceptional physically, yet he is one of the greatest of all time. Understanding the mental side of playing QB, understanding what is happening pre-snap, understanding how to go through progressions are all much more difficult things to achieve and is why the vast majority of fantasy owners are completely clueless about evaluating QB play and always gravitate to the cannon arm as proof of something. Mahomes has been excetional and I actually saw this coming last off-season and said so in these forums. Goff is much more in the Brady-Montana mold of QB. He is exceptional at the mental side of playing QB. Yesterday was nothing more than a horrible game. Raiders beat the Steelers yesterday. Buffalo destroyed the Vikings in Minnesota earlier in the season, it happens.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:22 am

dm1129 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:19 am

It is very easy to see the arm talent of Mahomes, that is why so many owners are amazed by him, however playing QB in the NFL is very much a mental endeavor and more important. Brady is completely unexceptional physically, yet he is one of the greatest of all time. Understanding the mental side of playing QB, understanding what is happening pre-snap, understanding how to go through progressions are all much more difficult things to achieve and is why the vast majority of fantasy owners are completely clueless about evaluating QB play and always gravitate to the cannon arm as proof of something. Mahomes has been excetional and I actually saw this coming last off-season and said so in these forums. Goff is much more in the Brady-Montana mold of QB. He is exceptional at the mental side of playing QB. Yesterday was nothing more than a horrible game. Raiders beat the Steelers yesterday. Buffalo destroyed the Vikings in Minnesota earlier in the season, it happens.
I think Goff is more of a poor man's Matt Ryan than anywhere near resembling a Montana or Brady mold.
I'd also say Mahomes looks much more polished at the mental side of the game than Goff does, even though Mahomes is a year behind in terms of NFL development. Besides progressions and reading the defense, reacting under pressure is one of the most crucial parts of an NFL QBs mental tools. This is something that Goff is awful at, and it was on full display last night. When McVay can't make it super easy for him, he freezes up and looks like a deer-in-headlights/Nathan Peterman. Reminded me of his performance vs. the Falcons in the wild card. This is also well reflected in the stats, Last season:
With no pressure, Goff was the #2 QB in DVOA.
Under pressure, Goff was the #21 QB in DVOA.

For reference Brady was #1 vs. pressure last season.
There are plenty of QBs who struggle with pressure but this looks to be the start of a theme for Goff. Maybe he can overcome it, maybe he can't, but he's light years away from the Brady/Montana comp. McVay is the key right now, and even that might no be enough for where Goff sits currently.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:51 am

0LDMAN wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:22 am
dm1129 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:19 am

I think Goff is more of a poor man's Matt Ryan than anywhere near resembling a Montana or Brady mold.
I'd also say Mahomes looks much more polished at the mental side of the game than Goff does, even though Mahomes is a year behind in terms of NFL development. Besides progressions and reading the defense, reacting under pressure is one of the most crucial parts of an NFL QBs mental tools. This is something that Goff is awful at, and it was on full display last night. When McVay can't make it super easy for him, he freezes up and looks like a deer-in-headlights/Nathan Peterman. Reminded me of his performance vs. the Falcons in the wild card. This is also well reflected in the stats, Last season:
With no pressure, Goff was the #2 QB in DVOA.
Under pressure, Goff was the #21 QB in DVOA.

For reference Brady was #1 vs. pressure last season.
There are plenty of QBs who struggle with pressure but this looks to be the start of a theme for Goff. Maybe he can overcome it, maybe he can't, but he's light years away from the Brady/Montana comp. McVay is the key right now, and even that might no be enough for where Goff sits currently.
If you seriously think Mahomes is more polished on the mental side of the game than Goff, then I do not know what to say without being rude. The KC receiving corps provides a perfect synergy for Mahomes and in essence inflates his play. Hill opens the entire field for other receivers and is able to take advantage of Mahomes' arm like no other WR in the league while. Additionally, Mahomes has the the best TE in the league who always has space because of Hill and acts as an ever present safety valve when there is pressure. The two situations are completely different. To say Goff struggles unless McVay makes it extremely easy for him is comical and more a reflection on you than on Goff.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:32 am Weeks like this are a healthy reminder that fantasy football is 90% luck.
Crafting a good enough team to make playoffs generally takes skill

After that, it's a lot of luck to determine exactly who will win
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

raiders444
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby raiders444 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:20 pm

Anyone watch the whole Bucs/Saints game? Godwin's 1 out of 10 targets on him or winston? How many drops?
Team 1 - 16 TEAM PPR - 1 QB / 2 RB / 3 WR / 1 TE / 1 D/ST / 1 K
QB: Lamar Jackson, Malik Willis, Sam Howell
RB: Saquon Barkley, Ken Walker, Michael Carter, Khalil Herbert, Keontay Ingram
WR: Chris Godwin, Christian Kirk, Josh Palmer, Terrace Marshall, Christian Watson, John Metchie, Mack Hollins
TE: Kyle Pitts, Chiggie Okonkwo
K: Justin Tucker
D/ST: Titans, Falcons

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:20 pm

I know you're a Rams fan, but the truth hurts sometimes.
McVay is the MVP of that Rams team, and he's an absolute genius.
Might as well be rude, because saying Goff is in the mold of Montana or Brady is the most comical comment in this thread.
You're going to see what you want with your homer shirt on, but the rest of us see McVay magic.

The Rams have Gurley, Cooks, Woods, and up until recently Kupp. Trying to pass off Mahomes' success to his weapons while ignoring the plethora the Rams have as well is a fool's errand.

I brought stats to support my point (Goff chokes under pressure) , and you brought false narratives and the threat of insults. The Rams are playoff bound so we'll see pretty shortly. Looks like the wildcard teams will present a significant challenge though, could be the Bears again, or possibly the Cowboys depending on how it shakes out. Either the Bears or Dallas would be a nightmare match-up for Goff though.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:32 pm

raiders444 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:20 pm Anyone watch the whole Bucs/Saints game? Godwin's 1 out of 10 targets on him or winston? How many drops?
I read a tweet from Pat Thorman that out of his 10 targets 1 was catchable, and he caught it.
Last edited by Bot101 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:37 pm

hockeyBjj wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:04 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:32 am Weeks like this are a healthy reminder that fantasy football is 90% luck.
Crafting a good enough team to make playoffs generally takes skill

After that, it's a lot of luck to determine exactly who will win
Agreed.

And honestly, yesterday was pretty much exactly how we WANT fantasy football to go down. Almost all the studs balled out.

Gurley was a dud, Goff sucked big time, Kamara wasn’t great, and guys like Brees and Rivers didn’t help you. And then guys like Tate, Golladay, Boyd, & Michel didn’t help but a really good playoff team probably wasn’t relying on them.

But almost every stud who you were counting on came through, in most cases in a HUGE way:
Hill, Hilton, Mahomes, Saquon, Cooper, Gronk, Brady, Kittle, Julio, Landry, Mixon, CMC, and lots of others played very well.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)