7%

Total votes: 15

Wile E. Coyote
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Tie break dilemma

Postby Wile E. Coyote » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:09 pm

Nascent wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:51 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:44 pm I believe the way you are looking at it is correct.

3 way tie between teams for 2 spots.
- Goes to 1st tiebreaker which is null because they didn't play each other or equal games (in a 16 team league this needs to be reconsidered because it will always happen).
- Go to 2nd tiebreaker which is points so Team A is 5 seed.

Now there are 2 teams left
- Tiebreaker 1 is H2H and the 2 teams HAVE played each other so Team B gets 6th seed

You need to square this away for next season though in my opinion. Shouldn't need this much wording in the league rules
Any suggestion for the bold bit? it gets complicated with a three team tie and not all teams having played each other. hard to make it clearer.

I like the way you explain it above though. makes sense.

seems we have a consensus. really appreciate all the answers guys, thanks
I play on ESPN, and we use the most bench points during regular play as our tiebreaker; and then changeover to most points for the playoff tie breaker. That puts the better team in the playoffs. Those settings are available on ESPN.

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:06 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:56 pm We always use total points after record for the first tie breaker. That way, you don't have to account for scheduling inequities. I'd switch to total points as tie breaker #1 for 2019 followed by H2H as tiebreaker #2.

Besides, everyone has a bad week now and then. It would stink to have a superior team overall during the course of the season (by total points) miss out on the playoffs because another team happened to beat them in a given week during the league schedule.

But for this season, might as well play by the rules you've established and award the playoff spots to Team A and Team B for the reasons already presented.
Have you ever moved past tiebreaker #1 then?

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:37 pm

Use either points for or overall head to head (the record the teams would have if they played every team in the league every week). Those two things will result in the better team being in the playoffs.

QB Browns
Role Player
Role Player

Postby QB Browns » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:12 pm

I actually prefer the head to head as the tiebreaker. To me it seems like if you aren't going to value the matchup win, what's the purpose of having teams play against each other every week instead of just going total points?

In my league we have two divisions of 5 teams. (10 total) The top two teams in each division make the playoffs. With how scheduling works for us, each team plays 8 divisional games (vs each division rival twice) and 6 non-divisional (once against most and twice against one). The head to head record serves as a tiebreaker, and divisional record is the 2nd tiebreaker (total points are 3rd if it comes to that). We don't run into many issues because each division only gets 2 playoff slots so you're really competing against the other teams in your division all season.

I know this isn't the most equitable way to do it, but it makes it fun and creates some great rivalries!
Team 1

10 team, 2 QB, 3 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1WR/TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, DEF, .5 ppr

QB: D. Prescott, K. Cousins, A. Richardson, R. Tannehill, T. Lance

RB: A. Kamara, S. Barkley, Bi. Robinson, J. Conner, J. Dobbins, A. Dillon, D. Harris, R. Stephenson, K. Herbert, I. Spiller, Br. Robinson, K. Ingram, T. Spears, D. Foreman

WR: M. Evans, D. Adams, AJ Brown, C. Lamb, J. Waddle, K. Toney, J. Reed

TE: D. Waller, P. Friermuth, D. Kincaid

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:16 pm

IMO head to head is a terrible way to break ties in FFL. Bye weeks can cause a lot of variability week to week so it comes out to luck of the draw on when your bye weeks are and when you play your opponent who you end up tied with. And you're not actually going head to head with somebody (meaning you can't stop your opponent from scoring). All play or total points or something in between are much better tiebreaker rules than head to head.

Nascent
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Nascent » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:00 pm

Wile E. Coyote wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:09 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:44 pm I believe the way you are looking at it is correct.

3 way tie between teams for 2 spots.
- Goes to 1st tiebreaker which is null because they didn't play each other or equal games (in a 16 team league this needs to be reconsidered because it will always happen).
- Go to 2nd tiebreaker which is points so Team A is 5 seed.

Now there are 2 teams left
- Tiebreaker 1 is H2H and the 2 teams HAVE played each other so Team B gets 6th seed

You need to square this away for next season though in my opinion. Shouldn't need this much wording in the league rules
Any suggestion for the bold bit? it gets complicated with a three team tie and not all teams having played each other. hard to make it clearer.

I play on ESPN, and we use the most bench points during regular play as our tiebreaker; and then changeover to most points for the playoff tie breaker. That puts the better team in the playoffs. Those settings are available on ESPN.
the trouble with bench points is that some teams roster a couple of QBs in reserve (it's a 1 QB starting league - 16 teams) so bench points generally means whoever has the most QB on their bench wins. plus it doesnt account for injuries or byes. really not a fan of bench points unless we are talking third or fourth tiebreak

we have actually used an amended form of bench points as our play-off tiebreak. we take the scores from your best bench QB, RB, TE, WR only. not perfect but gets around the issue
16 Team, 21 player roster+IR, QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, Flex, DST, K
QB: Murray, Trubisky, Mariota
RB: Fournette, D.Montgomery, A.Jones, Cohen, Kerryon Johnson
WR: R.Woods, AJ Green, Boyd, A.Miller, J. Gordon, Marquise Brown, Boykin, Callaway, MVS, Slayton
TE: Ertz
DST: Vikings, Browns

2020 Picks 1.03, 1.06, 2.03 (19 overall)

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:06 pm

Not confusing at all. With that set of rules, team A gets the 5 seed, team B gets the 6-seed.

If I was team C, I would accept that fate, but raise a stink to vote for total points being the #2 criteria, with H2H the #3 criteria. And I would consider finding a better league if the other owners didn't see eye to eye on that.

And I know this because over the years, I am team C, doing just that. But I hammer it out before the startup draft. And I've pulled out of startups (pre-draft) when they didn't agree ;)

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:25 pm

jordanzs wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:06 pm And I know this because over the years, I am team C, doing just that. But I hammer it out before the startup draft. And I've pulled out of startups (pre-draft) when they didn't agree ;)
Wow you're so cool ;)

Wile E. Coyote
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Wile E. Coyote » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:00 pm

Nascent wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:00 pm
Wile E. Coyote wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:09 pm

the trouble with bench points is that some teams roster a couple of QBs in reserve (it's a 1 QB starting league - 16 teams) so bench points generally means whoever has the most QB on their bench wins. plus it doesnt account for injuries or byes. really not a fan of bench points unless we are talking third or fourth tiebreak

we have actually used an amended form of bench points as our play-off tiebreak. we take the scores from your best bench QB, RB, TE, WR only. not perfect but gets around the issue

My league is a superflex league.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:25 pm
jordanzs wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:06 pm And I know this because over the years, I am team C, doing just that. But I hammer it out before the startup draft. And I've pulled out of startups (pre-draft) when they didn't agree ;)
Wow you're so cool ;)
Yes sir! I get enough invites to join leagues, I'm more than happy to respectfully decline leagues to make room for the right startup that meets my criteria :wink:

Same with redraft invites. I don't play in too many redrafters, but I'm always open for the right one. But as soon as I ask the simple question "do you use free agent blind bidding?", I often get my reason to decline.

I