How to rebuild

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
gausec
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: How do you rebuild?

Postby gausec » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:24 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:27 am
gausec wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:00 pm Just because it was asked I'll post my roster, however I still want to hear what your thoughts are on how to rebuild, I would of course take any feedback you guys have but hearing how you guys handle it helps. For example I have seen some say I lost that trade when I personally thought I won easily. I have never been in a rebuild before however so hearing other perspectives helps!

League starts QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, Flex

Here is my roster:
Palmer, Carson ARI QB
Tannehill, Ryan MIA QB
Barber, Peyton
Burkhead, Rex NEP RB
Clement, Corey PHI RB
Gurley, Todd LAR RB
Hyde, Carlos SFO RB (Q)
Johnson, Duke CLE RB
Langford, Jeremy CHI RB
West, Charcandrick KCC RB
Benjamin, Kelvin CAR WR
Bryant, Martavis PIT WR
Chesson, Jehu KCC WR
Cobb, Randall GBP WR
Coleman, Corey CLE WR (Q)
Cruz, Victor CHI WR
Fuller, Will HOU WR
Goodwin, Marquise SFO WR
Henderson, Carlos DEN WR -
Hilton, T.Y. IND WR (Q)
Hurns, Allen JAC WR
Louis, Ricardo CLE WR
Meredith, Cameron CHI WR (Q)
Wheaton, Markus CHI WR (Q)
DeValve, Seth CLE TE
Eifert, Tyler CIN TE (Q)
Gates, Antonio LAC TE
Kittle, George SFO TE -
McDonald, Vance SFO TE (Q)
Rivera, Mychal JAC TE
How many teams in this league? These are the kind of teams I love to rebuild- they're good enough to be an offseason playoff contender, but not good enough when the season starts. However, they're too good to get a quality 1st. Wouldn't surprise me if this roster were stuck in the 5 spot in next year's draft, and perhaps again in the future.

How many teams would dictate what I'd do at QB. More teams, the more important the mediocre situation here becomes.

RB- given you must start 2, I'd be very worried where Hyde is your number 2.. and you have no usable depth. Yes, guys like Burkhead could-might become useful, but you want something more dependable for your RB3. As an example, in one of my must-start-2RB leagues, a guy has Miller, Lynch, Stewart and Rawls, and (rightfully) fears for his depth... and that team has more depth than this roster.

The WRs look mediocre as well. Hilton, Cobb and Benjamin are a decent starting 3, but I wouldn't want either Benjamin or Cobb as my #2. Aside from Meredith, I don't see any productive depth, and he's more hope than anything. Coleman is an even bigger serving of hope.

Given you start 1 TE and can flex a 2nd, you seem fine for this year, though the Eifert+Gates combo screams for productive depth that I don't see here.

The number of teams would dictate who I'd deal (or not), but I'm considerably less optimistic about this team than others.

Regarding how to rebuild in general, buy and sell exclusively for value, even if a young player is getting what you consider excessive hype. For instance, if I didn't believe what was coming out of Miami and my rebuilding team had either Ajayi or Parker, I'd sell them. I'd trade my picks if I got a great offer. Move down an out in the draft, sell young players, buy old players, whatever increases your roster's value.

It's already been mentioned to work the waivers hard. Obviously you want to find young guys, but grab the older ones too. A rebuilding team beat everyone to Marshawn in one league then later flipped him to a contender for future picks/value. Keep young value (unless you get a godfather offer or don't believe the talent can sustain current value), sell older value.

Someone said something about consolidating vs spreading out value. Most people want to consolidate, but I say you should keep your mind open to getting more pieces back than you sell. It's all about value, and getting pieces you could potentially flip in the future is the objective.

When I am rebuilding, I take league settings into account. Just like superflexes increase QB value because you gotta start 2 (and you want productive depth), being required to start 2 RBs elevates their value. Other aspects would be how trade happy people are, when and how waivers run, if the league has any periods of inactivity, and any payout structure.

12 team league nothing too funky setting wise. And that's why I believe I was in a rebuilding mode. I mean I think the guys are okay, but I'm not in love with anyone really, I really like duke johnson as its 1 point PPR. It's been tough trying to find a QB to trade for. People have sent me clown offers (IMO) two 2018 2nds and a 3rd for Sam Bradford etc.
12 team, 1PPR: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, Flex, Flex
QB: Brees, Smith, Bortles,
RB: Zeke, Freeman, Buck Allen, Duke, Burkehead, D. Lewis, A. Peterson, C. Grant, Blount
WR: Hilton, Thielen, G. Tate, Edelman, Fuller, Cobb, R. Matthews, C. Meredith, Ginn, Amendola, Pryor, Hurns, J. Matthews
TE: Kittle, Eifert, Brate, McDonald, J. James
IR: K. Dixon, Jermey Hill

2019 Picks: 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th
2020 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 5th

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:34 pm

Dont chase a QB. You arent ready to compete. Buying a young stud is too costly and getting a solid vet Ben, Brady for cheap doesnt make sense.

You probably want to draft some QBs next year with some picks you accumulate through your rebuild.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:49 am

He traded Matt ryan

gausec
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby gausec » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:22 am

sloth8u wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:49 am He traded Matt ryan
I did, in my head this was a team that needed more youth, did I sell low on him? Perhaps, the market was pretty low on him but I am a huge Duke Johnson fan, and he is young. He should continue to have use in this offense especially with an inexperienced QB he should get a bunch of dumpoffs.
RB: Zeke, Freeman, Buck Allen, Duke, Burkehead, D. Lewis, A. Peterson, C. Grant, Blount
WR: Hilton, Thielen, G. Tate, Edelman, Fuller, Cobb, R. Matthews, C. Meredith, Ginn, Amendola, Pryor, Hurns, J. Matthews

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:44 pm

i just mentioned selling ryan bc djb had brought up qb. i agree that you dont need to overspend for a qb.

im guessing you just took this over and started making moves? how long did you wait before dealing? did you talk to every owner? why doesnt your franchise have any picks? the only answer here...can be that they obviously did. you had a contender imo....all you needed to do was play the wire a bit for the "hot" guy of the week and....either keep or sell for future picks if you find you need a rebuild.

in general, i dont like your moves and really think you were better off before, both this year and towards the future. that said....i just think green is worth more than hilton, and there is no way that i would give olsen and henry for gurley if i was rebuilding. i can think of several players that a package like henry and olsen could get you in a rebuild, and gurley just doesnt come to mind. (although it could certainly payoff if gurley becomes elite and henry is merely a low end rb1 or rb2, with the assumption he's going to hit)

you were a contender here imo, perhaps even a strong contender. with a few good years, and/or a ww add.
ryan
hyde, henry, whoever, play the wire
green, plenty of wr's to choose from kb, cobb, coleman, meredith, bryant,
olsen

i may even say that your trades indicate that your looking to win now, rather than in the future. you essentially added a hopeful rb 1 at the expense of some qb production, and te production. and then the wait and see with ajg and hilton. you swapped ryan for duke. dont mind it...but you could have came up with something better if you wanted to sell ryan or buy duke.

imo, the good thing here is that you didnt do anything to drastic....and you can either continue to sell or look to contend after a self evaluation of what you want to do here.

gausec
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby gausec » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:51 am

sloth8u wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:44 pm i just mentioned selling ryan bc djb had brought up qb. i agree that you dont need to overspend for a qb.

im guessing you just took this over and started making moves? how long did you wait before dealing? did you talk to every owner? why doesnt your franchise have any picks? the only answer here...can be that they obviously did. you had a contender imo....all you needed to do was play the wire a bit for the "hot" guy of the week and....either keep or sell for future picks if you find you need a rebuild.

in general, i dont like your moves and really think you were better off before, both this year and towards the future. that said....i just think green is worth more than hilton, and there is no way that i would give olsen and henry for gurley if i was rebuilding. i can think of several players that a package like henry and olsen could get you in a rebuild, and gurley just doesnt come to mind. (although it could certainly payoff if gurley becomes elite and henry is merely a low end rb1 or rb2, with the assumption he's going to hit)

you were a contender here imo, perhaps even a strong contender. with a few good years, and/or a ww add.
ryan
hyde, henry, whoever, play the wire
green, plenty of wr's to choose from kb, cobb, coleman, meredith, bryant,
olsen

i may even say that your trades indicate that your looking to win now, rather than in the future. you essentially added a hopeful rb 1 at the expense of some qb production, and te production. and then the wait and see with ajg and hilton. you swapped ryan for duke. dont mind it...but you could have came up with something better if you wanted to sell ryan or buy duke.

imo, the good thing here is that you didnt do anything to drastic....and you can either continue to sell or look to contend after a self evaluation of what you want to do here.
Yeah I inquired what place this team was in last year, it was 5th. In my mind being in the middle isn't a good place when you only own a 5th rounder. The only way to improve would be making trades. I see what you're saying about Hilton but I still think Ty is better than Green. In the past 3 years, TY had better numbers in 2 seasons. The Gurley part looks unpopular, so hopefully he bounces back. In my mind I was getting a young RB, who has shown great rookie numbers. I was planning on using him as trade bait after the draft because of his name.

As for acquiring picks for a rebuild, I generally like to trade my picks for younger guys who have already showed flashes of what they can do. Odds of hitting on a draft pick are not that high.

juke05
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

When's the best time to kick-off a rebuild?

Postby juke05 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:37 am

So I have a team that needs a complete rebuild, so I'm just curious if there's a particular time of year where selling vets will yield maximum value (in terms of draft picks). I'm assuming that right before or during the rookie draft is probably the WORST time to sell vets (rookie fever), but when is the best time? Is it right before the start of a new season when everyone thinks they might have a chance to make a title run? Is it a few weeks into the season when maybe a few teams who thought they were good start slow or maybe an injury happens and feel like they need to add a vet? Is it right before the trade deadline? Am I overthinking this completely?

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: When's the best time to kick-off a rebuild?

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:49 am

Right before playoff time is probably best. More times trying to make it in and competing. It all depends on the player though. Trying to sell Jordy or Fitz is likely futile in most cases, in any time this season

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:04 am

Right before playoffs and people want consistency or depth and in about week 2-5 when the vets are being vets but the rookies haven't established themselves yet(generally this is prime WR trading for time)

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:26 pm

It's a non-answer answer: You'll ready to sell 24/7 whenever you get an offer that approaches, say, 80-90% of their value. You'll almost never get full value -- (a) they're depreciating assets, and (b) everyone knows that you're desperate to sell. At some point, though, someone will offer you close to full value. Just take it. Pre-season, off-season, pre-playoffs.

Don't miss out on a great offer waiting for the perfect offer.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Nascent
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Nascent » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:40 pm

three years ago. the second best time is now
16 Team, 21 player roster+IR, QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, Flex, DST, K
QB: Murray, Trubisky, Mariota
RB: Fournette, D.Montgomery, A.Jones, Cohen, Kerryon Johnson
WR: R.Woods, AJ Green, Boyd, A.Miller, J. Gordon, Marquise Brown, Boykin, Callaway, MVS, Slayton
TE: Ertz
DST: Vikings, Browns

2020 Picks 1.03, 1.06, 2.03 (19 overall)

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:43 pm

moishetreats wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:26 pm It's a non-answer answer: You'll ready to sell 24/7 whenever you get an offer that approaches, say, 80-90% of their value. You'll almost never get full value -- (a) they're depreciating assets, and (b) everyone knows that you're desperate to sell. At some point, though, someone will offer you close to full value. Just take it. Pre-season, off-season, pre-playoffs.

Don't miss out on a great offer waiting for the perfect offer.
Basically what he said if the goal is to sell players.

In the end it all depends on your plan and which players you do not see benefiting your team long-term but whether it is early off-season, late-offseason, or regular season always be open to possibilities. Player values will fluctuate a lot - use the ADP Player Comparison tool to see that happen a lot for lots of players over the past few years. So there will be different windows for different players.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:51 pm

Best time in my opinion is right before the season or a few weeks into it. If you sell during the playoffs the only teams buying are teams with low picks, whereas if you wait until just before the season the picks could potentially be early.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:16 am

Nascent wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:40 pm three years ago. the second best time is now
Right before you think you need to was the answer I was gonna go with lol.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:53 am

Pick are never cheaper and vets are never sold for more than right before the playoffs. Contenders are more loose with their coin to try to go all in.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2